Locked out ...

Two guys from the BAR came by on Tuesday morning to audit my [edit: ESP] Gen-3.  Everything was going normally until one of them asked me to calibrate the bench.  It had passed easily at least 10 times in a row, including the preceding Monday morning, but it immediately failed with some NOx zero message.  This was puzzling to me, so I auto-zeroed and retried, to the same failure.  I looked over and saw that they had my probe laying on the tailgate of their truck in the middle of a bunch of equipment, so I grabbed it and hung it up where I normally hang it and attempted a third calibration.  One of the guys said something to the effect that "we normally only give two chances, but we'll let you slide if your probe theory is correct".  It failed the third attempt, and I was promptly locked out.

My boss made a service call, and we're still waiting as of this morning.  Being a Thursday, I went ahead and ran all my 72 hour calibrations, and they all passed, including the bench cal, with no previous auto-zero or any warnings whatsoever.  Let the finger-pointing commence.  Their theory is likely that I have been limping my bench through, and they finally "caught" me.  My theory is that their audit somehow temporarily contaminated my bench to the point that it wouldn't calibrate until a couple of days later.  The service tech's theory is yet to be determined.  What about your theories?  Coincidence?  Status Quo?

Re: Locked out ...

Best Answer I Can Give
 Last two times I have done the Monday Cal, Fail NOx. Redo, Pass No Problem.
I think there is several people on the site saying the machine they have has a NOx problem.

 Plus WTF it makes me do Parasitic every 3 days?

Re: Locked out ...

smog man
NOx cell not responding, or losing communication. Reboot of machine, should fix it.

Re: Locked out ...

Mr. Barry,
Do you have the ESP/OPUS Gen 3 ????
I've had recurring problems with my ESP/OPUS Gen 3.
1) Gas Cap Calibration assemblies failing
2) NOX Cells failing
Are VERY common failures with the ESP/OPUS Gen 3.
My ESP/OPOS Repair Tech in the Fairfield area has been chasing
these 2-common Failure issues ever since the Gen 3 have been put in service.
Matt Ryan: 510-755-3718, is the local ESP/OPUS "go to guy" who supervises
the Repair Techs in the Sacramento and other Northern California shops.
Matt Ryan IS aware of these two common failures.
He says ESP/OPUS is "Working" to make fixes to Software, ETC to remedy
these issues.
A BAR Rep did an Audit on my New Gen 3 a while back and it failed.
ESP/OPUS tech found NO problem. The bar Audit person even said To Me he was NOT experienced
in doing Audits.
So there you go, between the "Clowns" doing the Audits to the ESP/OPUS "SNAFU's"
we are at their mercy.
I would love to have a closed door meeting with the Chief of the Bureau of Automotive Repair.

Re: Locked out ...

Best Answer I Can Give
 Why Closed? This problem should be out in the OPEN.

Re: Locked out ...

locopoco
This is interesting,cause BAR auditors go through their own menu on WW machine which is QA Function and if it doesn't pass calibration they"ll try one more time and if it fails again then they"ll lock the machine. Never heard of them asking me to calibrate using my calibration menu.

As far as the Nox rise time failure goes, If it fails its usually due to low ambient temperature or cold weather situation.I usually turn off the machine after the first fail and then restart it and most of the time it passes the first attempt unless the battery cell is really low then you have to replace the cell.

My regular auditor is a really nice guy but this time he brought an apprentice with him who while he was on the phone the rookie blew one of those balloons due to high pressure and I was really worried that he might have damaged my analyzers bench or the lines but thankfully the balloon did explode and let the pressure off the lines,so maybe the auditors were rookie or incompetent.

Re: Locked out ...

Iconcur
My WW machine has been doing fine i went through a bunch of nox sensors until i got a winner. i got the beta software but everything is smooth i just get pop ups sometimes that let me go to the internet browser that's all

Re: Locked out ...

It's because they use additional  gases in the audit "MEDIUM hi and low- or something like that''  The 1st audit on my gen 3 failed as well. Replacing the nox sensor fixed the issue.

Don't they give you 10 days to keep using the machine though? When I failed the audit they gave me 10 days to fix it and fax the RO, and still allowed to use the machine in the ,meantime.

Re: Locked out ...

Lose weight
Did your cabinet sensors pass/fail? I find it suspicious the audit guy fails me for cabinet sensors not working and marks tamper, then when the Opus tech comes in he shows me how the machine locks out if he opens the cabinet indicating they are in fact working.

Re: Locked out ...

I believe that the auditors have their own version of the SVFR, and that pushed them to lock me out.  I got a ten day warning for not having TWO BAR-approved EVAP pliers, so I told the boss to order one from mike at evappliers.com.  ESP Al just finished up with my machine and told me he had to change the NOx sensor.  We'll see if I got a good one on Monday, the next time I'm scheduled to calibrate.

Re: Locked out ...

... Plus WTF it makes me do Parasitic every 3 days?
It doesn't Make you it.  If you go down the calibration list manually, you can skip the warm-up and the parasitic with no problems.

Re: Locked out ...

kfworry
Yes, Coast Down is the ONLY Dynamometer calibration required AFTER the initial
Gen 3 Set-up.

Re: Locked out ...

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry guys, mine told me it was locked out till I did the Parasitic.

Re: Locked out ...

none
It must have failed the first "coast down" attempt. Then you have to do "parasitics"

Re: Locked out ...

Best Answer I Can Give
Nope. It told me to do both.

 Hey I can sleep well tonight knowing you like us.

Re: Locked out ...

Troll
2 bar guys to do an audit?
lame is not even close

Re: Locked out ...

mikesmobile
Had issues with the ESP gen 2 calibrations also. NOX issue.
Tech came out did something with the software, not sure an update or what.
I'll email them and get more specifics.
Mike

Re: Locked out ...

 It's not 2 guys. It's one who "Knows" and one who is "learning"
Last guy who did this shop told me they were doubling the audit force.

Re: Locked out ...

  Barry, we just got a WW here not too long ago .The rep. they sent ,seemed very professional . Until it was time to do the initial calibration , I did it twice and was about to do a third one , when he quickly told me to call service . I think they are trying to shut down our operations , to what end , I do not know . He did mention that people were trying to use different cal. gases ? But we get those for free , why would anyone do that ?
   In either case , I guess we should watch those calibration trucks and where they place our probes . Very weird, indeed though ,what happened at your shop Barry . Did they unlock you yet ?

Re: Locked out ...

INLANDSMOG
Have someone check the Dyno belt tension for recurring parasitic and/or acceleration violation issues. Specifically the Maha. FYI
12