London 2040.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Lets see that's less than 23 years.
 Why is that so important? They are trying to push thru a Law, NO Gas or Diesel vehicles. ALL ELECTRIC.

 It was on the news this morning.

 State of California is changing the way the lines in the street are done. WHY? Self driving cars can't see the lines as they are.

 Soon to be Self driving all electric cars.

 Think! Look to the future. Where are you going to be in 30 years. All the scopes and scanners in the world are not going to help you do a smog check on a Electric Car.

Re: London 2040.

none
I don't know if you have ever been to the UK or Europe, but I can tell you it is quite different than here in California. I had a good friend who moved here from London in the late 80's. He said with the traffic congestion it took 1 hour to get 1 mile by car. He took trains and bicycle everywhere. When he got to rural California he realized very quickly he needed a car. (He also came to the realization that you can't get "pissed"[drunk] at a bar and then plan on leaving right afterwards if you drove there.)

As a young boy I remember taking public transportation all over Austria with my grandmother who never owned a car and never needed one.

Re: London 2040.

Kriss Vector

Re: London 2040.

 i remember reading. LA smog is NOTHING compared to London Smog.

 The KILLER of all this, THE LACK OF THINKING.

 Wider road stripes. Who's paying for those?
I have read from two places, the Eclectic's take a HUGE Breaker. One says 50 the other 75. The piece point out the fact that the power grid will not take the load that will hit when people start coming home and plugging in.

 WHY is STAR so fucked up? The lack of THINKING. The lack of cause and effect.
If this happens here what does that effect and then what does that effect. THINK.

Re: London 2040.

Kriss Vector wrote
Well certainly having a mechanical/diagnostic background can help you get a job repairing those electric vehicles.But yes if you're just an EO tech you're most likely  screwed.
I agree. Electric cars will still need repairs and maintenance.

Re: London 2040.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Face it people, any idiot can and will throw parts at a vehicle.

 WHAT MAKES US SO SPECIAL? Why do we get hired when the next person doesn't? YOU HAVE A LICENSE TO DO SMOG CHECK.
You have got off your ass and done something with your life.
Yes you can get up every day and hustle the dollar. WHY?

 Take Basic. I think he said he is @ 28. FINE. 20 years from now, WHO IS HE? A Nobody. No smog check. He goes to work for a Government agency, what is he? A Nobody with a 20 year pension.

 The trouble with owning your own is what? How many days do you work for the other guy? Before you see a penny. RENT, insurance, lights gas water. ON AND ON AND ON AND ON................

 Look! Look to your future. In 20 years where are you going to be?

Re: London 2040.

none
I've met good techs without a smog license and good techs with a smog license. I've met bad tech with and without also. I always said that calling a smog tech a mechanic is like calling the guy at Burger King a chef.

You said something about how much money your son makes but couldn't make the first payment or something but all of California is not the same income level. I spoke to some dealership mechanics at my last update class with Rocky and these guys were making more than your son. I know these guys in the Silicon Valley are in a way high income level.

lololo speak for your self, just because you regret  YOUR CHOICE of career, failed to invest in the future and now have shit attitude. A smog check license is not that big of a deal either, go to any dealership and look at their license on the wall the average dealership has 4-6 smog techs on board, not so special now huh?
ill take a tech with a mechanical background and pay him double vs a fresh tech who can only run smogs all day. I also take a younger tech who can scope and diagnose vs an old man who wants to change parts then expect an online blog to shot gun him answers instead of diagnostic techniques. you rather ask how do i fix this vs how do i check the following component / system. We dont all hate our lives and careers.

Re: London 2040.

I've met good techs without a smog license and good techs with a smog license. I've met bad tech with and without also. I always said that calling a smog tech a mechanic is like calling the guy at Burger King a chef.

You said something about how much money your son makes but couldn't make the first payment or something but all of California is not the same income level. I spoke to some dealership mechanics at my last update class with Rocky and these guys were making more than your son. I know these guys in the Silicon Valley are in a way high income level.
exactly my point we are not that SPECIAL   who thinks like that LMAO most of the tech from my update class in may, where from dealerships , 2-3 guys were from the SAME DEALERSHIP and guess who paid??? the DEALERSHIP. if your a great hands on tech with a smog license and can beat the flat rate clock your easily making 60-80k not working weekends with paid holidays vacation, sickdays ,401k ect. once old man lost sold whatever he keeps changing his story, he should of hit the dealerships not for the Pay but for the benefits and long term solution. ive never heard of someone buy a business / building then end up selling it to work in the same damn building, i guess that will make anyone hate this industry.

Re: London 2040.

Best Answer I Can Give
 World of difference between dealer in No Cal and So Cal.
REASON? They have a UNION.

 Until BAR let every Tom, DICK, and Harry get a License, IT WAS SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF.
We passed all the ASE crap because we KNEW our shit. There was no classes. There was no "This is the answer to the test classes."

 You KNEW how to fix it because you learned. It wasn't spoon fed to you.

Re: London 2040.

World of difference between dealer in No Cal and So Cal.
REASON? They have a UNION.
NO unions here.

Re: London 2040.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Well I don't know about you None, but last I knew the Bay Area had a Union. When I lived in Santa Roas they did.

 Now down here. Shop hour is @$125. The best guy in the shop makes @$30 a Flag hour. The only guys who are lucky enough to make more than 8 are Tune Up and Brake and Front End.

 I started out in dealerships. I saw the screwing that was taking place. Raise the hourly rate $4 give us $1.

 As far as several guys in a dealership having licenses. The dealer paying for it. It is to the dealers advantage.

Re: London 2040.

none
I'm in the Sacramento area. These guys were at $38-40. When I worked at the Toyota dealer, if you didn't flag at least 15 hours in a 10 hour day you were doing something wrong or were lazy.

Even your guys $30/hr X 40 hours X 52 weeks = $62,400 If they got their ass in gear could easily clear $80K/yr as an employee in the private sector.

Re: London 2040.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Thanks None you made my point. If and Can. If a guy wants to get off his ass. He CAN.

 City of LA. The Guy will make $80 K a year. 80 K just to show up. Look like he is doing something. If he has in 15 years he has a close to a month of time off. Plus Sick. plus 2 floaters 96 hours of sick.

 No BAR Under Covers. Little or no problems.
I took a door off a truck one night. @$6000 in damage. Told the boss. Wrote out a report. Blamed it on poor lighting. I SCREWED UP. Lights in the lot got fixed.
No waiting for OK's to do  a brake job. Come backs what's that? You screwed up you got paid to fix it.
New trucks in 85. Shift started at 3:30. Done by 6 sat on our ass till 1 AM. DID NOTHING AND GOT PAID.

 One guy we called Scorch. He moved so fast he burned the air. Another Moo Man. Real name Fullman. He could milk a job all night.

 It's FUCKING WRONG, but I got paid good.

 I saw them pull down a frt end of a dump truck. ALL DAY just to take it apart.

 Why bust your but to make 80, when you can kind of work and make the same?

 Hey I'm just putting this out there for those who are tired of low paying slave driving no respect Bosses.

Re: London 2040.

none
And you made my point. It is wrong and the tax payers shouldn't have to pay this and it can't keep going the way it is. It should be subed out to the private sector like the smog program is.

Re: London 2040.

Re: London 2040.

 None, I GET YOUR POINT 100% strike that, ONE Billion Percent.
I worked with some FUCKING Flakes that could not keep a job in the outside world if they tried.

 FUCKING LAWYERS. Cities have DEEP pockets.

 Trash is one of the hardest workers. We didn't, not like the outside world.

 Out source it? Major FLAW. A trash truck loaded, 20\30 TONS. Look at some of the guys in our field. They will not keep the equipment up.
A trash truck is a oil leak waiting to happen. Fly by Night Rubbish. Hose clamps and Duct tape around that hose.
 Yes we replaced A LOT of so so parts. Why? Lawyers. Truck is involved, Here come the lawyers.
No we put the best parts that were available to us. We did not reuse part.

 Trash pick up in LA City. PERFECT Example of not looking ahead. Back in the late 50's\60's  the then Mayor promised the people of LA if they would stop burning their trash in the backyard FREE trash pick up. So over 50 years later, Still FREE.

 Private? It would still not stop the waste. Inspector on top of inspector would be hired. Truck involved in a crash? City would still be sued. The city contracted to Flight by Night. Deep pockets.

 The real problem is the lawyers.
I saw it happen several times. New hire. Work like crazy. Get his probation in. SHUT DOWN TIME can't fire them. Here comes deep pockets and the lawyers.

 Waste? Up the ass. The horse shit is in PILES. Can't beat them join them.
The only reason I say trash is because it gives you a chance to not be a "Government Employee". Zootopia Laughed my ass off the DMV workers PERFECT.

Re: London 2040.

World of difference between dealer in No Cal and So Cal.
REASON? They have a UNION.
NO unions here.
so basically BESTA was wrong again and went on a personal rant dragging it all the way into lawyers and the government.

Best Answer I Can Give wrote
 Think! Look to the future. Where are you going to be in 30 years. All the scopes and scanners in the world are not going to help you do a smog check on a Electric Car.
your telling me electric cars will need no diagnostics or maintenance? Toyota Camry hybrid  check engine light turn on when the main battery is no longer holding charge.
honda insight also turns on the check engine light on when the main battery no longer regenerate or charges. customer had to pull over every 30-60miles turn off car wait then it would let him continue on the gas motor. Tesla is a self driving NON Emissions vehicle guess what THEY STILL HAVE TECHNICIANS!
Battery will need to be replaced , fluids (brake fluid,)will need to be service, tires will need changing LOL the list goes on!  Also i heard tesla pays good money

Re: London 2040.

There are plenty of cities in California that have well run private trash service. Have you ever heard of RECOLOGY?
https://www.recology.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recology

Re: London 2040.

There are plenty of cities in California that have well run private trash service. Have you ever heard of RECOLOGY?
https://www.recology.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recology
my local garbage collecting service is also privately owned and have 2 repair facility's in my county friend of mine makes 18-20ish an hour loves the pay and job but hates the filthiness of the huge trucks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_Management_(corporation)
12