Looking up station by certificate.

Newbiesmogtech
Is there a way to look for where a smog check was done using test history database? Have had a couple of customers come in telling me their certificate is not found in DMV database and they're requesting original certificate. I've always just printed certificate from history and given to the customers but dmv is only accepting original certificate from what i'm hearing.

If they can find what station performed smog they can request a copy but alot of these cars are bought without official smog check certificate on hand.

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

His_Stigness
They're calling you asking if you can print them up the VIR from another shop? Or you performed the inspection and they just want a new copy?

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

WealdstoneRaider
Newbiesmogtech wrote

So they got a smog test at a different station and they came to you for x reason to print another certificate? Tell them they can scadoodle back to the station they smogged it or offer another test full price.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

Newbiesmogtech
His_Stigness wrote
Some people believe the smog check industry is state ran or that we all work together. Believe it or not i have had customers come in with VIR from other stations asking for a "free re-test" I had 2 calls this week from people asking if i can print out a copy of their certificate and the cars were never tested at my shop. I was just wondering if we can direct to the shop that performed their test. I try to get them to come in with a discounted rate but if the certificate still valid its hard to get them to bite.

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

Newbiesmogtech

So they got a smog test at a different station and they came to you for x reason to print another certificate? Tell them they can scadoodle back to the station they smogged it or offer another test full price.

Yeah i try but the fish never bite  I've been getting alot of calls about certificates not appearing on the DMV end and asking if i can print out another copy, even from people who didn't get their car tested here.

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

STAR is Racist
I would say about 90% of people that say DMV doesn't have the smog on file actually didn't pay their fees within 90 days and the cert expired.

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

dcf1ver
STAR is Racist wrote
I would say about 90% of people that say DMV doesn't have the smog on file actually didn't pay their fees within 90 days and the cert expired.
More like 99%

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

BasicTech678
dcf1ver wrote
STAR is Racist wrote
I would say about 90% of people that say DMV doesn't have the smog on file actually didn't pay their fees within 90 days and the cert expired.
More like 99%
winner winner chicken dinner

Re: Looking up station by certificate.

We wish! Just think, if we could do that, we would have the key to unlock FPR!  Used to be able to see last station, but not no more.

BTW When DMV tells people that they need to bring the VIR because they don't show a smog, what that actually translates to is that the inspection is more than 90 days old.

EDIT: er, like everybody already said...
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.