Mil goes on after the test....

Citation Addict
I had a Ford Escape in here, it went through the test just fine, right after the completion of the test the Mil comes on. I know with some vehicles, the Mil goes on and off as part of the diagnostic trip, but for it to come on and stay on? Never seen that before after a test with OBD2.

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

just another shop owner
Been there done that. Chances are some one cleared the code and it hit the right amount of key cycles.

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

Citation Addict
Must be by shear luck it got through.

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

smgfthr
Did you fail it for the visual test. If I knew the person I'd let it go. If not then I just explain that there are codes in the vehicle and that the reason it doesn't show is because my machine is a general scanner and they need to go to a smog repair which do have special scanners to view the error codes.

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

Citation Addict
The light was not physically on. It came on after the completion of the test with no failure. I did pull the codes as a courtesey at no charge. I left the light on so the repair facility still had freeze frame data.

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

Failit
As long as the MIL functional passed, the car passes legit.

The fact that the light came on after is due to codes and monitors resset recently before the inspection. Many consumers know of this and WILL exercise the knowledge to get the car passed.

Now BAR will begin to inspect KEY CYCLES when OIS begins. If the car you passed has 2-3 key cycles they will know the codes were reset. Thereby raising a flag and/or a deviation which will affect your score. As techs we have no control over what a customer does to their car. This is a perfect example of just how faulty STAR really is. Too many rules like these will cause ALL techs to eventually loose that perfect score
BAR has failed to recognize this or simply do not care.

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

Accused
eventually BAR should have to admit that we don't have much control over what customers do with their vehicles.

Oh wait, back in the real world they don't have to admit anything - ever.

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

  not our problem , Bee , doing it by the book we did what we did and anything affter is the customers fault . no if or buts syonara toyou consumer .

Re: Mil goes on after the test....

Citation Addict
What bothered me about that was, in the event if they are stopped by roadside testing, and my name being on the last smog.