Missing EGR?

smog frogposter
Had a 1985 Winnebago motorhome out of state for initial registration. GM Chassis 7.4L California emissions, label called for an EGR valve. What do you guys think? Also ignition timing was a pain in the butt the timing mark on the crank pulley started at the top but the saw tooth pattern mark is at the bottom of the crank pulley how in the world are we supposed to check ignition timing? Is there another saw toothed timing mark at the top? Oddly enough this motorhome was also from Oregon like that diesel with the modified EGR valve from the other thread.

Re: Missing EGR?

Re: Missing EGR?

defective
Refer to the vacuum diagram if it still has it, and see if anything is capped off.  If I need to check timing under a vehicle, Ill use a jumper wire or battery booster pack if theres no power terminal near by(starter/alternator/fuse block).  You may be able to reach the spark plug lead from the wheel well.

Re: Missing EGR?

2002
How much did you charge for something like that? We don't touch em unless they agree and sign for 149$

Re: Missing EGR?

Re: Missing EGR?

smog frogposter
$100 with certificate, Took well over an hour because of so many complications such as missing GVWR, and lack of general information.

Re: Missing EGR?

2002
Could have done 4 OIS smogs in that time at $60 a pop and make $240 in that hour. $100 is too low. Even if your fast they take a long time, if you do them properly that is..

Usually when I see a RV they already went to 7 shops and none of them wanted to do it so $149 doesn't seem too high. If it is, I wish them luck. Bye!

Re: Missing EGR?

Re: Missing EGR?

dcf1ver
2002 wrote
Could have done 4 OIS smogs in that time at $60 a pop and make $240 in that hour. $100 is too low. Even if your fast they take a long time, if you do them properly that is..

Usually when I see a RV they already went to 7 shops and none of them wanted to do it so $149 doesn't seem too high. If it is, I wish them luck. Bye!

Re: Missing EGR?

smog frogposter wrote
$100 with certificate, Took well over an hour because of so many complications such as missing GVWR, and lack of general information.
yea fuck that

Re: Missing EGR?

none
I charge more than that for a 1985 car or pick up. I don't even do motorhomes.

Re: Missing EGR?

2002 wrote
Could have done 4 OIS smogs in that time at $60 a pop and make $240 in that hour. $100 is too low. Even if your fast they take a long time, if you do them properly that is..

Usually when I see a RV they already went to 7 shops and none of them wanted to do it so $149 doesn't seem too high. If it is, I wish them luck. Bye!
You're making me rethink my $120 with cert price for RV's. I pretty much hate doing them and rather not deal with them.

Re: Missing EGR?

smog frogposter
2002 wrote
Could have done 4 OIS smogs in that time at $60 a pop and make $240 in that hour. $100 is too low. Even if your fast they take a long time, if you do them properly that is..

Usually when I see a RV they already went to 7 shops and none of them wanted to do it so $149 doesn't seem too high. If it is, I wish them luck. Bye!
That's what happens when you have a Shekel Goblin for a boss that doesn't want to miss a single vehicle :(

Re: Missing EGR?

Minimum for that job for us is 250, and yes on some years there was a secondary timing mark for RVs

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Missing-EGR-tp5081911.html