My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

BlueSky
Fuel Evap 2nd Chance
I wanted to see if the 2nd chance still works and it does.  Just follow the instructions on the screen.  When this message appears go to the LPFET machine and do the seal verification test.  After the countdown if you found a leak and corrected if punch in #2 and continue the evap test.  When it completes go back to the BAR97 and click continue and it will gather the data and finish the test.

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

StarTech
When I’m back at work and I have a car fail for it I’ll post back if it worked for me

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

805smogtech
that message doesn't appear on the delphi, (or i should say it appears on the evap tester screen, but not the bar 97 computer screen). the delphi does let u do a 2nd chance if it fails for a gross leak (over .40). two vehicles i did it on last week still failed after I pinched closer up though. both fords coincidentally lol

however if you hook up and test it and the bottle pressure is too low or too high it will abort the test and wont give you a second chance. if it passed all other test components (emissions, visual, egr, check engine light, gas cap and timing functionals etc) it will automatically issue a cert, and on the VIR under Evap Functional will be blank. still not sure if this results in a ding yet but we'll find out when scores come out this month

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

ozzey
Thats good to know, we will try it on our next FAIL.

Real quick, have any of you have been having more fails performing the evap test since the update for the BAR 97? For some reason after the update we had 3 fails in a row and we find it very odd cause these vehicles that we tested are not highly to fail the evap pressure test(Toyota pickup, Honda Civic, GMC Sierra). I know the update has nothing to do with the equipment, its just software but it has been a repeated unusual pattern.

It could be a coincidence that our Waekon is failing at the same time as the update??

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

 You never "Test" the adapters. Knew a shop that failed every Honda old type cap. Turned out his red  adapter was cracked.
Yes it was gas cap, buy you still use a "Adapter" to test the tank.

It could be a coincidence that our Waekon is failing at the same time as the update??
been about the same number of fails on this end. sometimes it just lines up like that. i've had days where i've failed 5 or 6 cars in a day out of maybe 7 or 8 that i smogged. then you have days where everyone passes before lunch but everyone you do after lunch fails lol. i wouldn't worry about it too much but if it continues you might want to start by manually testing a known good vehicle to see if it is indeed the machine letting you down or if the cars brought to you to test failed of their own accord?

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

Hard Nox
Working with the Delphi system, experimenting in Pre Test mode.

I messed up and forgot to connect the hose to the filler neck adapter. 1rst time , just learning this new system. Paying more attention to all the new on screen prompts and messages. Not to mention learning that I still have to push buttons on the Dephi unit .

No 2nd chance anything available that I observed.
Finished the test.
NO Results for EVAP functional on the VIR.  A big Blank space. NO Fail/ NO nothing Pass /Fail /or Abort.

No Cert PASS or FAIL   this was a Pre Test.

A 2nd Chance seems like would be reasonable.

Am I missing something besides the obvious my error of 1 hose connection.

GOOD Question--- Would this be a Ding  if a Cert is issued?

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

805smogtech
Has happened to me and my coworkers multiple times where we connect machine, do info purge, enter vin and other data (cap color used  etc) run the evap, press enter on bar 97 screen and evap aborts for bottle pressure isnt right (too high or low with delphi evap). it aborts the evap and finishes the smog with no 2nd chance. blank space on vir for evap functional. all passed smog and got issued certs.

check september 2019 scores and no dings so far. (fingers crossed LOL)

funny thing about delphi evap is that it will let u do second chance (at least in my experience, your's may vary) if the car fails for gross evap leak (over .040 leak) but not if bottle pressure is too high or low

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

Hard Nox
Thanks 805 for the input.

As I understand this may be a "Beta" test period. Maybe?
When this becomes "Live" the rules may tighten up. Maybe?

Nothing is real clear yet.

In my case the mishap of not connecting the hose to the adapter would cause a Restriction/ No Flow condition.
Not a Gross Leak.

So with a restriction I do NOT deserve a 2nd chance.

Hmm, is that it?

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

805smogtech
the way the esp guy explained it, at least as i remember was that it was new software being "beta" tested. and we were basically the guinea pigs lol. whether they are still beta testing, i don't know??

i hate when the evap beeps that its done, you go over and disconnect it before the result is transmitted to the bar 97 and have run the entire evap test over again. i haven't done that in a few weeks but when we first started on this "hooking the evap up to the machine" deal, i did it twice and had to re-run the evap. thankfully i haven't done it since. not fun having to explain to a customer who has been pacing for 20 minutes hoping their hoopty will pass, why the test is now going to be 5 minutes longer because of my screw-up lol

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

BasicTech678
805smogtech wrote
the way the esp guy explained it, at least as i remember was that it was new software being "beta" tested. and we were basically the guinea pigs lol. whether they are still beta testing, i don't know??

i hate when the evap beeps that its done, you go over and disconnect it before the result is transmitted to the bar 97 and have run the entire evap test over again. i haven't done that in a few weeks but when we first started on this "hooking the evap up to the machine" deal, i did it twice and had to re-run the evap. thankfully i haven't done it since. not fun having to explain to a customer who has been pacing for 20 minutes hoping their hoopty will pass, why the test is now going to be 5 minutes longer because of my screw-up lol
yes my worldwide tech came to exchange my bottles for the year, i asked when we are next he said not anytime soon, ESP is first and BETA testing so i doubt till its 100% approved and state wide that any mistakes will be held accountable.

he said when WW dose start beta testing it will most likely be in the greater areas nor and socal before statewide start up

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

SamiTheSmogChick
The way I understood it from our service guy who set it up-

After performing the EVAP purge with the Delphi unit connected to the gen3, once the screen changes to telling you the last four of the vin #, we are allowed to disconnect the line connecting to the gen3 (gen3 will now say "EVAP tester may be disconnected"). Then take the tester to the vehicle, do the test. On the gen3 hit "enter" to say that you've started the EVAP test. When finished, just make sure the EVAP tester gets reconnected to the gen3 & click through the prompts on the Delphi unit.

As a side note, if you take too long the gen3 with have a red banner across the top, with some message about the EVAP tester being disconnected too long. There is an option to continue to wait on EVAP and not have to abort the entire test.

Disconnecting the EVAP from the gen3 when doing the EVAP test has, at least for us, eliminated the pesky problem of having the smog test finish without the EVAP results.

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

805smogtech
that's interesting. i'm not sure ours will allow that (time synch with the cable). if cable is disconnected will it still synch up? I don't know??

we just leave it hooked up to the machine until the evap test is finished and it asks if repairs were performed. less issues with unplugging too soon that way. i've done it where i had to redo the evap after it passed because i disconnected once the evap machine said it passed. ours doesn't seem to trasmit the final result until after the evap machine prompts to disconnect the plyers. so i just leave it hooked up the entire time until it is finished. your results may vary?

Re: My Waekon Evap still lets me do 2nd chance

805smogtech
BasicTech678 wrote
805smogtech wrote
[...]

is the world wide evap machine the one that comes with its own little roll cart? if thats the one i'm thinking of, its been a while since i used one of those. like that design better than the delphi. we used to call it Walley (after the disney movie lol).

not sure if there is any truth to it, but i heard the delphi evap machine was discontinued by esp and will no longer be serviced by them either. the tech told us that when ours broke we'd have to get a world wide or a waekon? i forget which, probably huffed a bit too much co this week and killed a few more brain cells lol