My citation update

Citation Addict
Just had my conference, heres the run down of the total fines.

Shop $1000 fine, and revication of the Star certification, and a guranteed UC car in the next few months.

Technician 28 hour training course a $500 fine and a Abatement Order until the training is completed which is another $600.

All this for missing a Catalytic converter on Chevy Pickup Truck, it was not the Thermatic Air Cleaner heat riser like was stated in the UC list. BAR changed it up.

Re: My citation update

SmogTechCali
Was it because there wasn't a CAT there or was it because the EO number on the Cat wasn't correct for the vehicle. That's a big difference. Please verify.

Re: My citation update

Bplacke, do you remember the truck? Was there a cat. on it? Was it missing or was it not the correct replacement? Do you remember details on any conversation you may have had with the UC driver?

Re: My citation update

mike
Can you explain what the abatement order is?
Thanks for giving us the update

Re: My citation update

Hey B. P. , a 28 hour course? I am sorry to hear about all the fines and the revocation. I am glad you are not being too hard on yourself, Moving forward.

Re: My citation update

smoginstructor
@Bplacke we would like to know if you have the alias for the person who drove that truck into your shop.  Also color, condition of the vehicle and exact engine size.  Please email me at staff@stopthestarprogram.com

Re: My citation update

FRUSTRATED
Bplacke, did they specifically say they were revoking your STAR certification?  If so for how long and when will they make it effective.

Re: My citation update

Time to " sell" your shop . They would have to go without star for three months.
 Star is not helping take thecleanpipers out it is making them richer by taking honest mistake shops star away and all those vehicles go  tothe cheaters .

Re: My citation update

Did you forget to check the CAT?

Re: My citation update

87 pickup w/ 7.4L engine has 2 CATS. One below the the Y pipe and one after the muffler.

Re: My citation update

OceanViewTch
shit....i am going to go home and have a cold one and try and convince myself that doing this job is worth all this bullshit...the stress from the BAR and the customer...we are stuck in the middle...trying to do the job the state expects while keeping the private sector happy....both using us for target practice...customers mistake us for the ones making the rules...while the state tries and make us all look like we are criminals...shit maybe they should put us on Dateline...next week on Dateline.....the smog tech predator....trying to cheat the State and seduce the customer for his business.....on top of all this all my ase licenses are about to expire...mother fucker...

Re: My citation update

Citation Addict
I am not to do any inspections and or repairs until the training is completed. I cant even work while doing the training. Something is wrong there.  The only way through that is if I file an appeal which buys me time. In the mean time while the state preps for an appeal Im doing the training. Once I finish the training I can withdraw the appeal which keeps me working and submit my fines and courses.

Re: My citation update

Citation Addict
According to the book I have, it only has 1.

Re: My citation update

Citation Addict
It was really busy that day, I could have. All it takes is me answering that phone and forgetting what I am doing next.

Re: My citation update

Citation Addict
Email sent.

Re: My citation update

Citation Addict
It was straight pipe in place of a Cat. The pipe matched the rest of the exhaust system rusted. Im filing for discovery and re verify this vehicle. According to the book I was using, if its carbureted, it has no cat. I dont recall TBI OR CARB. I hope they took a photo of the Emission Control Label. What I have down is a carbureted vehicle but, that may be wrong.

Re: My citation update

Citation Addict
Bar never asked me if I was a star station and I did not give up that information either unless they already knew. As of now I am still a Star Station. They may take it away at the end of the quarter just a guess

. I was also told when the citation officially goes into effect.

Re: My citation update

mike
UC cars are shady
Should be done away with
How often have any techs smogged
Any vehicle with a missing cat?
We are creatures of habit and not
used to cars coming in wih missing parts
The state should focus more on
techs that dont repair the failed
cars properly these UC cars dont
help clean the air at all!

Re: My citation update

Citation Addict
One of the biggest flaws in our industry is the Automotive repair act. I have myself have worked as a repair technician, and I am sure the repair guys here can relate. Customers don't always approve all repairs. Tune ups without doing plug wires, cats being installed with old oxygen sensors, failing mass air flow sensors being cleaned, fuel pumps being done without the filter decarbonizing an engine with a burned valve...

I don't like how some customers are using the system to squeak by. The Cap program is a poor excuse to say I dont care to maintain my vehicle, dont care to, and should not come out of my pocket.
No offense to you Cap Smog Techs, I bet there are those that do deserve Cap services.

Re: My citation update

Did you happen to ask about that database they were supposed to have created?

EDIT: Can you provide more info on the CAT? Was it a carb or TBI?  MOD  shows CAT for TBI only, but is inconclusive and as you can see from previous posts, we may have conflicting information, which I would think could be used in your favor, but check with a pro.  I don't have a current application guide book in front of me, but these are all BAR approved resources!

I can't find detailed info in alldata or mitchell on demand.  We need that database!
If you are going to be a part of the drug culture, have a little drug culture.
12