NON Star rated shops?

007
Can someone explain how this works. A car comes in, no paperwork and you type in the plate number in vehicle history and it says NO in the Star Certification Required box you can smog it correct? and if it says YES you can not smog it correct? This is how I interpret it. However, i am looking at a customers renewal form and it says Star Smog Required, but if you type in the plate on the states data base its says NO in the box. Confused can someone help clarify.

Re: NON Star rated shops?

tampered
Good question! Type in the VIN. Usually gives more complete results as plates may change.  Other than that, I dunno!  I know when there's no VID comm, a non-star station could potentially certify a directed vehicle, but I doubt that has a "happy ending for nice gentleman", unless you look at it from the BAR's POV!
Charity begins at work

Re: NON Star rated shops?

smwalker
I just start a smog and at some point it says " This is a directed vehicle no certificate will be issued, would you like to continue?"  I say no and it quits.  Go inform the customer they got a star this year.

EDIT:  Note This is OIS only, I do not do BAR97

Re: NON Star rated shops?

007 wrote
Can someone explain how this works. A car comes in, no paperwork and you type in the plate number in vehicle history and it says NO in the Star Certification Required box you can smog it correct? and if it says YES you can not smog it correct? This is how I interpret it. However, i am looking at a customers renewal form and it says Star Smog Required, but if you type in the plate on the states data base its says NO in the box. Confused can someone help clarify.
I see this scenario fairly often because I'm in a "non-enhanced" area. I would bet that the car in question was either bought from an enhanced area or the owner moved from an enhanced area within the last two years. Either way it will say that it is STAR directed on the DMV renewal but it can be tested at a NON-STAR station.

SMWALKER, You can check that way but you are paying SGS every time you do that, even on OIS.

Re: NON Star rated shops?

SMWalker,

What percentage of cars that come in can you actual do?
Do you do any dealer cars? and if so are they all non star cars?

Re: NON Star rated shops?

Iconcur
depends on your area, in Vacaville its usually 2006-07 and older that are star however if its an out of cycle vehicle , out of state, rv, hybrid, diesel you can smog it guaranteed.

Re: NON Star rated shops?

smwalker
007 wrote
SMWalker,

What percentage of cars that come in can you actual do?
Do you do any dealer cars? and if so are they all non star cars?
Of the ones that come in without paperwork I would say about 25% of them end up being STAR.  Sort of consistent with the 15% directed number I have always heard.  It's a rare occurrence because we get few walk in's and most of our customers will call before hand to make sure we can do it so we do a lot of pre screenign with them so they can go to the right place the first time.

Thanks for the Tip None, did not know that.  Will have them look harder in the future!!

Re: NON Star rated shops?

AlexSmogmen
I got a citation, and Bar gave me a letter say effective 9/24/2017, I no longer be authorized to perform Star smog, but until now I still able to do star cars on Bar 97 & Bar OIS, and I checked my Star score, on the web page still displayed I am Star.

Can any one tell me, should I continue to do Star cars until the Bar 97 or Bar OIS not allow me to do?
or should I stop to do Star cars?

I remember when I just open the shop, in first 3 month, I did not have Star license, the Bar 97 or Bar OIS will not allow to do Star cars.

Re: NON Star rated shops?

none
AlexSmogmen wrote
I got a citation, and Bar gave me a letter say effective 9/24/2017, I no longer be authorized to perform Star smog, but until now I still able to do star cars on Bar 97 & Bar OIS, and I checked my Star score, on the web page still displayed I am Star.

Can any one tell me, should I continue to do Star cars until the Bar 97 or Bar OIS not allow me to do?
or should I stop to do Star cars?

I remember when I just open the shop, in first 3 month, I did not have Star license, the Bar 97 or Bar OIS will not allow to do Star cars.
It will stop letting you on 9/24/17 if you don't appeal your star revocation. Until then you might as well do all you can.

I think you should appeal (and quickly) if you haven't had any other problems with BAR. I will link a video later that sounds like you might get far less of a suspension if you go through the formal appeal. I'm trying it.

Re: NON Star rated shops?

In the interest of plausible deniability, you should not try to inspect directed vehicles if the customer or the paperwork clearly state that they're directed.  No paperwork should be fair game for you, until someone over at BAR flips the STAR bit in your machines.

Re: NON Star rated shops?

AlexSmogmen
Thank you for reply,

I did non-formal appeal, but BAR did not accept my reason. and it is Bar's final decision to remove my STAR
on 9/24/2017.

So, you think it's OK if I keep continue to do Star cars, until the Bar 97 and Bar OIS not allow me to do?

Re: NON Star rated shops?

AlexSmogmen
Thank you, I can say the customer did not show me any paper, right?

Re: NON Star rated shops?

My Name is Nobody
AlexSmogmen wrote
Thank you for reply,

I did non-formal appeal, but BAR did not accept my reason. and it is Bar's final decision to remove my STAR
on 9/24/2017.
How long is your STAR suspension?

Re: NON Star rated shops?

AlexSmogmen wrote
Thank you, I can say the customer did not show me any paper, right?
I would only say it that way if it was true, but you have the general idea.  When STAR first began back in 2013 I had a FuPR of 0.02, and my Gold Shield went away on Jan 1.  I was still smogging no-paperwork cars well into January, and I didn't know they were directed until I saw HEP on the VIRs.  My directed ability was finally turned off in late January, and I didn't get it back until my miracle 0.40 that Summer got us our STAR in July or August.

Re: NON Star rated shops?

AlexSmogmen wrote
Thank you for reply,

I did non-formal appeal, but BAR did not accept my reason. and it is Bar's final decision to remove my STAR
on 9/24/2017.

So, you think it's OK if I keep continue to do Star cars, until the Bar 97 and Bar OIS not allow me to do?
On the paper work from the informal appeal that said the decision was upheld it gave you the option for a formal appeal. The formal appeal is where they will consider your past record and possibly reduce the time of your star suspension.

I am not saying you have to do what I say or that I know what I'm doing. I'm just stumbling through the process too. I'll find the video when I get a chance tonight.