NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

Able
So I was driving and listening to NPR radio when an interesting conversation about air quality came on.

NPR states that air quality has gotten worse. Government wants air quality to return back to the 90's. And air quality has gotten worse by 6% since 2016.

Wow that's a lot!

NPR continues to say government is working very hard to improve air quality.

 1st by stating that the light bulbs we all use are super energy efficient and this reduces energy and global warming.

2nd car emissions are getting better due to energy efficient cars like hybrids.

3rd government are waiting for more consumers to make the switch all electric cars. (Similar to UK where they plan to have all electric vehicles by 2030) <NOT GOOD FOR US TEST ONLY SHOPS>

4th governments are making policies to reduce emissions specifically in the automotive industry.

OKAY MY PROBLEM IS NUMBER 4.....if policies are out to make emissions better then WHY are cars moved from 6 year exempt to 8 year exempt? It's the exact opposite!

Now if we made ANNUAL inspections mandatory I can see that being a better route.

What everyone's thoughts on this NPR report?

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

none
Able wrote
.....if policies are out to make emissions better then WHY are cars moved from 6 year exempt to 8 year exempt? It's the exact opposite!

Now if we made ANNUAL inspections mandatory I can see that being a better route....
I think that their idea is that the cars are made better, cleaner, and have longer emission warranties therefore they don't need to be tested as often.

We can test cars all day long but we haven't done anything to clean the air until we repair the vehicles that are polluting excessively.

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

stopstar1234
ya prob due to the OIS theres cars coming in here smelling crazyyyy my visual checks fine and my function snap test checks fine... I would put my house on it if I threw it on the ASM FAILLLLL

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 MY THINKING

 Able I have put this down before. MANY TIMES.FOLLOW THE MONEY.

 Lights on. Brother in law who worked at a shop 20 years ago says no big deal. NO WARRANTY. Does not cost the maker WARRANTY.
Biggest pain in the ass at a dealership? The Tune Up Man. He has the Smog license. Keep him happy. Pay him more.
The money at a Dealership is in the Used Cars. Today with the internet. No deals. You can shop online for the best deal. NO PROFIT.

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

Kevin
With technology continually changing and under the new OS system I'm sure yes there are few Vehicles getting through that do not belong passing but in the long-term with vehicles that have catalytic materials on the radiator and multiple and more efficient catalysts the system has to eventually catch up and work at some point we'll get a lot of the old junk off the roads and the system as we know it will go away period with constantly to uplink in communication the smog system I foresee in the not-too-distant future will go away as we know it Vehicles will do their own Smog and upload the data to a centralized processing system.

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 The problem with the whole deals gets down to this, We Keep It Honest.
Now with people willing to cheat, how can it be honest?

 How many people would run around with the light on? Tons. It only gets fixed when it needs a check. And then they cheat that.

 Kevin's thinking is off because, Big deal if it sees a light on. I have my tags, I will fix it and then drive around another year with it on. Kevin good thinking but people will not fix it till they have to.

 The BAR is 100% correct. The air will not get clean till the cheaters go away.
The problem with that thinking is the BAR\AQMD\ARB makes it possible to cheat. Until these agencies see that we will have cheaters.

They want the air clean?
Every Hydrocarbon Burning vehicle gets a check. No matter where it is garaged. EVERY YEAR.

 We are the watchers. We make sure the light stays out. 8 years now a vehicle can run around with a light on. What a fucking joke.
Make sure the makers make a clean vehicle. WE DO THAT. Make sure it stays clean. WE DO THAT.

 Who was the one to find out about the VW thing. A INDEPENDENT LAB. We are those test labs.

I think you have it backwards. Kevin's system will alert the state when the light is on. On yours the light could come on right after the test and be on until the next test two years later.

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

 Who was the one to find out about the VW thing. A INDEPENDENT LAB. We are those test labs.
No it wasn't a smog station. I have YET to fail one of those VW diesels that doesn't have a C/E light on and I test plenty of them.

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

 So it alerts the State BFD. They will not fix it till the tags are due.
Unless the vehicle is in contact 100% of the time BFD. Cut the wire to the antenna that tells the State. First thing a car thief does on a GM is takes out the On Star. Lo Jack. Pull the system.

 All of this is for nothing. Hell by 2050 they want all electric anyway.

 What this all goes back to is what many of us said when they first talked OIS. The Air WILL get worse under OIS.

 None, those of us who are honest. All we do is keep the honest man honest.

So you don't think I'm honest because I don't fail the newer TDIs?

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

Best Answer I Can Give
 No I think there is some HONEST people on this site that are so damn honest it's SCARY. Some truly believe they are doing good. KNOW THEY ARE.
 Honest people will admit that mistakes can be made. Honest people are not afraid to POINT OUT mistakes that are made.
Honest people will not pervert the laws to cover laws that should not be on the books.

 The fact that you point out a FLAW to correct that FLAW proves you want to be honest.

 If the State Of California wanted to be really honest and fix the clean air problem they would ADMIT, mistakes have been made.

Re: NPR radio got it wrong....or right?

You got that right Besta but this state run by powerhungry a______s will never admit to any mistake .
   I love NPR radio , also AM 760 is good . God bless everyone ,happy smogging and MAGA !