Need some advice. Any STAR loopholes?

mcmattp
Hello all,

I am here to help my stepdad who is a smog test only shop owner.  I have been in recent months helping with the business, which he is planning to turn over to me after he retires in a few years.  Don't worry, I'm already a responsible business owner in a completely different field.

So I started hearing all of the fear of the STAR program.  My stepdad kept saying it was going to be bad because they couldn't get STAR certified.  He only has one tech at his shop who got a citation within the last year.  At this time they are telling him that June is the earliest he can get STAR qualified.

My stepdad informed me today, that he is going to sell the business and his home and move out of state because he can't afford to stay afloat until then.  He isn't even making enough on the normal tests to break even on his bills and live off of savings.  It is actually costing him money daily, in order to even stay in business.

He said that many of the other smog shops in the area are shutting down, or planning on shutting down within a month.  The STAR program is essentially wiping these test only shops off the map, within a month after it was released.  I can see why there is a program called "Stop the STAR program".  Further, I can see why everyone is so angry.  I am just a business-minded person looking from the outside in and I can REALLY see how wrong this is.

Just like my Step Father said:  "Why live in this state?  What do you work for when it can be taken away?  Why do people stay here and work when after you pay your bills, you really don't have much left anyway".

All sad and true points from a man who is losing his business over the STAR program.  His shop has been there for over 20 years, starting out as a speedometer shop which turned into a smog shop and has been doing well ever since.  His customers love him and even though there are 10 shops in the area, his is always the busiest.  It's really sad and frustrating.

So I am writing because I'd like to know if there are any ways out??? I mean, it seems that most of the smog people that converge here would have a better idea as to what can be done to get STAR qualified earlier.  Can you point me in the right direction?  How do people keep from going under in times like these?  Can we just beat these people into a pulp and move with our lives?

-Matt

Re: Need some advice. Any STAR loopholes?

just another shop owner
 If you get any, please pass it around. Lots of us are in the same boat.

 Funny thing is we are so slow even with STAR I think we would be done anyway. 2 breakfast houses and a donut shop I drove by had no customers.
The phone is not even ringing.

  California is going down the drain.

Re: Need some advice. Any STAR loopholes?

EL SMOGO
The only way I see it is to live off your credit cards as long as you can file B K when your out of credit tell  the judge why after 20 years your business went broke go on EBT live on the streets take a DUMP at night at the local BAR office door Then your FPR score is high enough to be STAR.

Re: Need some advice. Any STAR loopholes?

Mark
EL SMOGO wrote
The only way I see it is to live off your credit cards as long as you can file B K when your out of credit tell  the judge why after 20 years your business went broke go on EBT live on the streets take a DUMP at night at the local BAR office door Then your FPR score is high enough to be STAR.
LMAO!

Re: Need some advice. Any STAR loopholes?

SDBigdogg88
Hire an attorney.

Re: Need some advice. Any STAR loopholes?

Failit
IDEA

Change location, business name, business owner, machine owner, hire new tech and apply for ARD,SGS, and STAR at the same time......50/50 you will start STAR

Re: Need some advice. Any STAR loopholes?

Accused
Put it in your name now, hire a new tech with a good score and hold on for 3 months waiting for STAR.

That's the legal way to do this according to BAR.