New Legislation

My Name is Nobody
Some interesting new legislations

- SB 638
- AB 475
- AB 1274

If AB 1274 passed, this will affect our business.

https://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Legislation_and_Regulations_Update_4.20.2017.pdf

Re: New Legislation

Karupt
I dont think it will affect us that much .They are or will make it 8 years for first test.HOWEVER I ALSO READ THAT DIESELS 14,001 POUNDS would be subject to smogchecks. I wonder if thats the reason i have already had two diesels that weighed 15,000 being told by dmv that they needed a smog?

Re: New Legislation

none
I think AB1274 will affect us. I smog plenty of 2011 cars right now. The thing is that I don't FAIL many 2011 cars so I do see the point.

Re: New Legislation

My Name is Nobody
none wrote
I think AB1274 will affect us. I smog plenty of 2011 cars right now.
Agreed!
none wrote
The thing is that I don't FAIL many 2011 cars so I do see the point.

About 3% of 2011 MYV failed smog check and majority of the 3% failed OBDII readiness.

Re: New Legislation

 Elect Besta as DICTATOR.
 Smog Check every year. Safety every 6 months.

 WHY? How many people would that put to work? How much better off would cars be kept?

 Never going to happen. But How many out of work people could we get off of WELFARE and adding TO instead of taking away.

 Also Lottery gets above 20 million. Make 40 half million winners.

Re: New Legislation

Re: New Legislation

Karupt wrote
HOWEVER I ALSO READ THAT DIESELS 14,001 POUNDS would be subject to smogchecks.
I can't wait to hear all the complaining about that. I like testing diesel pick ups but I am sick of the owners who think diesels shouldn't have to be smog tested.

Re: New Legislation

why tho D? the incompleteness of monitors is an Incomplete Repair or a customer trying to pull a fast one . I always send them to a test and repair ,a fellow repair tech charges them 95.00 to run their monitors and charges for a new smog test .I am tired of giving customers tips , or advice thats not my job . I cant tell them its broken i just tell them it needs a repair tech to look at it .

Re: New Legislation

Re: New Legislation

smwalker
HEy K,

Tell me what you mean by:

"the incompleteness of monitors is an Incomplete Repair "

After every repair all monitors should be set?  That what you mean?

Re: New Legislation

Karupt wrote
. ...incompleteness of monitors is an Incomplete Repair or a customer trying to pull a fast one
Especially the former.  If they're coming off a repair at a certified shop they should be sent to the BAR complaint desks IMHO, but I don't back up that statement with action, it's against my warped ethics. Besides, the BAR gives not one shit about repairs or their impacts to the Smog Program or air quality.

 At my shop, the vast majority of unset monitors is the result of a self replaced or dead battery, or one replaced at a shop that doesn't know what a memory saver is.

I wrote up a paper (partially plagiarized from the Ohio EPA) explaining the possible causes of, and solutions for unset monitors and hand that to 'em. Let them choose between driving and diagnosing, I'll provide my part with free prescans (prior to retests).

Back at the OP, at yesterday's BAG meeting, an interesting comment from Bud Rice was how this legislation might affect warranty repairs, and another super interesting comment from Patrick Dorais, discreetly referring to the additional abatement fee revenue that could be generated. I guess $20 is tastier than $8.25.   Why don't you just come out and say it, Patrick?

Sorry! Don't get me started!

EDIT:  Karupt, when I worked at a TR, I ran monitors all the time, $95 bucks is a pretty good price!
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: New Legislation

Re: New Legislation

Troll
Dear D.  Times have changed and it aint for the better.
Customers have gotten far worse and cheaper, and less educated.  They all think they're experts with youtube.  Technicians ( if you can call somewhat) are merely  kragen and oreilly part changers.
Unlicensed is running wild in the streets.  We are not far from becoming Ape city, or Thunderdome.
There is quality, and honestly out there. Few and far between.
Good luck to those still in the trenches trying to make an honest buck

Re: New Legislation

My Name is Nobody
tampered wrote
Back at the OP, at yesterday's BAG meeting, an interesting comment from Bud Rice was how this legislation might affect warranty repairs, and another super interesting comment from Patrick Dorais, discreetly referring to the additional abatement fee revenue that could be generated. I guess $20 is tastier than $8.25.   Why don't you just come out and say it, Patrick?

Sorry! Don't get me started!
I saw that!  Sure $24 is much tastier than $20 and tastier than $8.25.  The BAR gets only a small piece of that abatement fee.  Since the abatement will be increased from $20 to $24.  Pat sure sound like he want that whole $4 increase.

SRBP.pdf

Bud Rice raised a valid point but weak facts. it's irrelevant due to very low failure rate and how many 6 year old vehicles with less than 80K miles in California to be under emission warranty?.  See attached.

Executive_Summary_Report_January_2017.pdf

Take a look at MY 2011.
Percentage (%) Failed OBDII = 2.79%
Percentage (%) Failed OBDII readiness = 2.11%

Re: New Legislation

Tampered, hey thanks for attending those BAG meetings and keeping us informed ! I for one , do appreciate that at least one tech was present to represent the working class !

Re: New Legislation

deathbysmog
It kinda bugs me that we have to buy a new bar97 this year or next year at a pretty high cost, and then they want to take more cars out of the program.  Seems like a big kick in the balls to me.

Re: New Legislation

My Name is Nobody
See the attached ESR.

MY 2010 and 2011 represent of 100K smog checks or 10% of the total statewide monthly smog check inspections.

If your shop is in an affluent area, the impact could be as much as 10% to 20% of your business, vice versa, your shop in a poor neighborhood, it will be less than 10% of business.

Stay tuned!

Re: New Legislation

Best Answer I Can Give
 WTF. What the hell are they thinking? All that crap goes thru my pea brain when I see this stuff.

 OK LETS PUT MORE PEOPLE OUT OF WORK. Lets collect less tax money. WTF. Inspect vehicles. Put people to work. MAKE JOBS!

Re: New Legislation

WTF. What the hell are they thinking? All that crap goes thru my pea brain when I see this stuff.

 OK LETS PUT MORE PEOPLE OUT OF WORK. Lets collect less tax money. WTF. Inspect vehicles. Put people to work. MAKE JOBS!
I do NOT believe that the smog check program should be about creating jobs. It should be based on clean air at "the best bang for the buck". Creating jobs should be building infrastructure that has accomplished something of benefit when the money is spent.

My two cent.

Re: New Legislation