New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

warp211
Hi guys I'm new to the site I've read a few threads but I could not find the answer. As I understand it BAR told me they need 3 months of data before I become STAR Station. My FPR score is great just waiting for station data to kick in. I wish I knew this earlier before I bought the shop. Right now I can't test STAR vehicles which sucks. If anyone has some informative info that will be great to lift my spirits I don't know how long I can stay open as just a test only. They need to change the STAR Program, they should let techs with a good FPR score be a STAR Station and if there score goes down within 3 months take away the STAR Status. Anyone with some info will be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

K20SI
yea ur going to work for 3 month just do all the cars right make sure all the cars shift on the dyno so u have all the right rpm if u get to many u will have problems because u are not doing to many cars since u have to let all the star cars go so it works off percentage.  make sure u input all the right info like evap gas cap and timing dont abort alot of test

what machine do u have and if u need any help call or text me k20si   17606170987

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

You need to read ALL the information, the BAR has published, regarding the STAR program,
and what it takes to become a STAR Station. That is good your Tech license FPR score is .40 or higher.
Like you mentioned the BAR told you they need 3-months of data for a "station score".
Don't rely on this forum for answers. Refer back to my first statement, OK.
Don't expect the STAR program to change over night.
That will NOT happen. We ALL know there are MANY FLAWS to the scoring method.
We would have to expend millions of dollars in legal fees to change the STAR program.
I have asked customers to voice their displeasure to their Assembly person
and how the state is targeting older vehicles to appease the US EPA and CA Air Resources
Board.

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

Karupt
Three months ,wait three months with good short term measures, make sure your equipment like rpm pickup probes are new or functioning properly. And by all means read the requirements on bars website.

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

Mark
Don't test any car.......

1. 01 up that don't have all the monitors set.
96-00 that has more than one not set.

2. Any car that has the wrong size tires or a
fucked up transmission.

3. Any junk that might not make it through
the test for any reason and cause an abort.

4. Use vice grips on anything where the probe
might fall out and give you a restart.

5. Don't ever get in a hurry or work when your
sick or it's to hot to think straight at least not
till you get STAR, after you get STAR you have
a little wiggle room.

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

bizarsmog
Depends on your timing if you open before the quarter you are eligeable to star end of the quarter if you open after quarter you should wait until end of the other quarter such as you open feb or march you eligible end of march if you open April you are elligaeble end of July

Thanks man I have a Worldwide machine, but original came from an ESP machine. I have worked with all 3 SPX,WW, and ESP.

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

warp211
Right on for the info guess I just have to wait it out guys. Thanks for the info dude and happy smogging lets make some $$$$..

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

kilativ
warp211 wrote
Thanks for the info dude and happy smogging lets make some $$$$..
You sound like a girl on honeymoon. Everything in pink colors. But after couple of years you will say "I hate you".

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

warp211
Is that why I get all the girls dam... aight I'll can let you borrow some

Re: New shop just opened how long before I'm STAR????

timer
K20SI mentioned it but I feel the need to dwell on it for a second. Your short therm shop score is based on percentages. If your volume is low, and I assume without STAR it will be, one mistake hurts a lot more. I dont know about you but Im bound to make mistakes, even more when getting used to a new machine/process.
Total new guy