No BAR 97= No STAR?

138541
Shop around the corner is advertising $19.75 + cert no pass NO pay. Customer came in with a 1999 avalon wanting to know if we price matched. Told him sorry, but we do not. He showed me the coupon for 19.75, I advised him that it was a awesome deal and he should jump on it. He then told me that the shop did not have a dyno... The shop is STAR test and repair. I thought I heard that to be STAR certified you had to have BAR 97?? Anybody know for sure?

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

defective
Thats right.  Did you look up the station number on the bar site?

"Test 1999 and Older Model‑Year Vehicles"

"Test 2000 and Newer / 1998 and Newer Diesel Model‑Year Vehicles"

It will say Y or N for each station.

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

138541
yes on both and certified to do CAP repairs...

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

You are 100% right.
According to the "Test And Repair Station Requirements Checklist"
on the BAR Web Site, a BAR 97 EIS IS Required!!
The enforcement people must be asleep at the wheel.
I know of a STAR Test Only and a STAR Test & Repair in my
area that Do Not have an operational BAR 97.

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

defective
The tech couldve lied to not do a bar-97 smog, or there was some miscommunication with the customer.  Call the shop and ask!

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

138541
They said they ordered a new machine. Wont be able to do dyno tests for 3-6 months.

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

It is not fair to the STAR Stations that invested what ever amount of money
for the New Gen 3 WIFI capable BAR 97,
and the STAR Stations that have NOT put out Big Bucks for the new EIS,
or Do Not Currently have an Operational BAR 97.

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ok and the check is in the mail.

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Kevin
I don't know why you would want to have a cash register in a business like this especially in the East Bay. All it does is make you a target for robbery

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Voltron
D Rochells 150861 wrote
There's nothing fair about this bullshit program. Too many shops, too many analyzers, techs not making enough and working by themselves for the most part with little or no support. You know there is something wrong with an industry when it is rare to find an actual cash register in a shop.
I thought thats what the old bar-97 cabinet was for, cash drawer and work desk when you clear out the old useless shit it had on it

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Best Answer I Can Give
 I was under the "Understanding" that you HAD to show a Calibration of a ASM machine once a month to keep a STAR score.

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Voltron
the shop i basically ran for almost 4 years in santa rosa that pulled 40-60k per month used an ikea dresser as a cash drawer

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

none
CASH?

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Voltron
no lots of cards, but the "cash register" was an ikea 4 drawer dresser, that did nothing else but hold a microwave.  Average price at the time was $72-$142

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Talk about Derailing some thing.
How much do you start with?

 We start with $400 X amount of 20s. X amount of10s. and so on. After having a worker RIP me off for cash we started that program.
Funny some days go thru all the cash. Other days just the dollar I take out for a soda.

Re: No BAR 97= No STAR?

Voltron
start is always been $50-100 every shop ive worked at which is 4