No check engine light...but has code

Able
A Honda ridgeline 2007 came in looking good. Failed smog and I had a hard time explaining to customer that he has a check engine code.

No mil light.

Of course I did the koef mil check. Everything was good.

So why no light if there's a code?

Told customer it was an electrical problem. Code was related to cat btw.

Re: No check engine light...but has code

fartvalve
Failed for not ready right? Passed visual?

Most likely the customer or one of his friends offered to help him "pass smog" by turning off the MIL. Won't run all monitors with the pending code and failed smog. He was acting like he didn't know. I usually say "looks like the light was turned off or battery was disconnected."

I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: No check engine light...but has code

Do you think someone did some creative wiring behind the dash so the check engine light bulb is hooked to the charge light? Not as easy on the newer cars but I've seen it on older cars.

Able wrote
... I had a hard time explaining to customer that he has a check engine code...
He probably understood but didn't want to admit it.

Re: No check engine light...but has code

Able: Is it possible you were seeing a "Keep Alive Memory", KAM,
and rather then a "hard code" for Catalytic Convertor????

Re: No check engine light...but has code

Use an OBD device/tech helper and see MIL commanded status, if it is commanded on then the mil circuit is faulty or tampered. OIS could just display this but BAR couldn't make something useful if they wanted to.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: No check engine light...but has code

It must have printed it on the VIR so it must be an active code.

Re: No check engine light...but has code

deathbysmog
Had a 2006 Honda ody same thing mil off. MIL works KOEO, mil turns off when you start the car, but had a code and the mil command on. failed the test.

Re: No check engine light...but has code

cosmokramertheassman
Just had a '12 Subaru with the MIL commanded on but not actually lit on the gauges. It's not very common but it does happen.

Re: No check engine light...but has code

Able
Another one came in today. Same scenario but on a Chevy truck LS.

I don't know what a keep alive code is. Pending code?

But OIS failed it for mil.  Again, that fancy wiring might be the case.

Re: No check engine light...but has code

kfworry
A "keep alive memory", K.A.M. diagnostic trouble code, occurred previously, but is NOT occurring NOW.
It might take several drive cycles to clear the K.A.M. code as long as the problem
does NOT occur again. OR it could trigger a DTC if the problem DOES occur again.

Re: No check engine light...but has code

kfworry
A "hard DTC", MIL "ON" I should say.