Non contact

Evaponly818
What’s the best and proper way to do no contact to get rpm?  Recently did a 95 Camry 3.0 and I used the battery. I noticed rpm’s low on the screen around 1200 and jumping from up and down but my speed was steady, but on the dash board appeared closer to 2000’s.
I went on the gen3 manual to see if I did anything wrong and for some reason it only shows the cigarette lighter method for non contact. Car failed for HC I’m hoping to get it right for when it returns.

Re: Non contact

Bobbie_D
I will use contact and if applicable use an injector wire.

Re: Non contact

STAR is Racist
Sometimes putting a thick book over the battery and the pick up on top of the book helps me.

Re: Non contact

Evaponly818 wrote
Recently did a 95 Camry 3.0 and I used the battery.
I carefully pry up the rear edge of the engine cover and grab a coil primary wire from the front bank with the inductive pickup on those.  It's also nice to have a quality T30 tool around just in case.  I have had spotty success with the "non-contact" probe on my new ESP (less reliable than the old "T" probe on the Gen 1 in my experience) ... it's too short and has trouble latching a good value.  I have lost a couple of inspections to it due to those issues, shrugged and moved on to the next victim.

Re: Non contact

Evaponly818
Bobbie_D wrote
I will use contact and if applicable use an injector wire.
What do you mean injector wire?
Thought contact was only spark plug cable ?

Re: Non contact

Injector wires and coil primaries have an inductive kick that can often be picked up by the clamp-on probe.  It doesn't have to be a secondary, as long as it's proportional to RPM.

Re: Non contact

If you can try and pick up a primary ignition wire. Or even use the induction clamp around Injector wire

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020, 12:25 PM Evaponly818 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
What’s the best and proper way to do no contact to get rpm?  Recently did a 95 Camry 3.0 and I used the battery. I noticed rpm’s low on the screen around 1200 and jumping from up and down but my speed was steady, but on the dash board appeared closer to 2000’s.
I went on the gen3 manual to see if I did anything wrong and for some reason it only shows the cigarette lighter method for non contact. Car failed for HC I’m hoping to get it right for when it returns.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Non-contact-tp5079033.html

Re: Non contact

kfworry
I have done the 6.8 Liter Ford and 8.1 Liter GM engines with the
contact probe on the Coil Pack wire.