Not Ready.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Are they trying to blow one pass us? Was the light on and they cleared it?
 Did the battery really get change or go flat?

 My question is, What percentage do you figure the monitors are not set because of a "Honest" reason. Or did it have one on and they think we, plus the State are that stupid?
I'm thinking better than 50 %

Re: Not Ready.

Midnightdrummer
It gets even more frustrating when you are trying to explain to them the issue and trying to HELP them and they flat out lie to you.

Re: Not Ready.

It doesnt really matter, we have a smog program because humans tend to cheat at predictable rate. Our jobs exist thanks in part to cheaters. Some of the cheaters admit it once I start explaing monitors, I talk some of them into getting it fixed.

What I think is really stupid is the whole OBD2 monitor system. It needs a datalog that CANNOT be erased. A dead battery should not make a car fail smog. If a system cant run a successful diagnostic within an acceptable
time frame it should set an error code. The error light needs to say "Not oil change light!". Etc, etc.

זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Not Ready.

ThePharmacist
It's hard to tell because sometimes the customer would know about the light and take to their mechanic and all he would do is reset the computer and tell them to drive around. Usually when I fail a car for trouble codes or just explaining the light in general to a customer, I tell them the check engine light doesn't turn for decoration it turns on because the cars computer found a problem with the emissions controls and is alerting the driver of that.

Re: Not Ready.

BlueSky
ThePharmacist wrote
check engine light ...
The powers to be should have made it read "Emissions Failure" not "Check Engine"