Not Star Ready

Troll
The following is purely my opinion:
After being on this forum I voice even more strongly my belief that many inspectors in this site and in the state are ill and poorly equipped to properly inspect the vehicles presented to them as a Star station
The state has run a puppy mill for new smog inspectors without any regard to the quality of the job, or achieving star status.
It falls back on the state going with the alternatives to ASE certification prerequisites for a smog license back in 2002.

However -I know and have seen quite a few ASE techs who only know how to pass the test.
The schools can not possibly prepare one for all different types of vehicles.
Most service  industry fields require apprentices to work under a journeyman to gain accreditation.
I believe that all smog stations should be required to have a hoist,their own Alldata or Mitchell on demand, a bidirectional egr and evap testing tool,  an ASE MAster tech there during business hours, signing off on smog inspections.
The same should apply for any PR1. They should hold a current ASE and brake and lamp license.
Any analyzer involved with fraud should be crushed immediately, and the address should be banned from smog rentals.
It is shameful that it takes the state months/years to get a suspension/revocation.
And just  to further snip- the time it takes an inspetor to post a question on this forum on testing/timing, visual problems- it could be solved by going to Alldata/Mitchell and printing the pages.
I respect Mr Barry's approach on helping/sharing, no bashing on this site.
If I violate the principles- then I will,or have him remove approppriate posts.

Re: Not Star Ready

none
I agree!

When I changed to a TEST ONLY for a few years I still kept my ALLDATA subscription. I would be lost on many new cars trying to find the evap canister without it.

Re: Not Star Ready

444O444
sometimes we just get lazy to open a book or browse alldata, and need fast answer. then we ask questions, no?

Re: Not Star Ready

444O444 wrote
sometimes we just get lazy to open a book or browse alldata, and need fast answer. then we ask questions, no?
When it comes to accessing information, any technique that works for you is my belief.  I just never got time for that method!
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: Not Star Ready

To 444=
The answer is NO.
Are you going to wait for a resposne from this site before you finish your smog inspection?
Where's the pride of doing  and completing your job by yourself?
I would think the customer would expect that the person who is doing their smog who has achieved the almighty star status would be better trained than the schlump down the street who is not star, or whatever else.
Like I said-  go work under a journeyman for a year to gain the experience.
Or fuk it- Just ask Alexa, Siri, or Hal 2000 (half the folk don't know Hal) I bet.

Re: Not Star Ready

Juicebox
I disagree, the change came when the licenses went from basic/enhanced to inspector/repair. The states guidelines for schools curriculums changed at the same time. Hours required went down drastically and schools are now allowed to teach whatever they want, as apposed to having to use certified material and send tests back to certified suppliers. I do agree that new inspectors should work under an journeyman for at least a year. But the whole ase alternatives being the issue is false. I've done both and had my license since '04 and the alternative labs back in the day were very good, at least at the school that I went to.  The fact that inspectors dont really have to know how anything works or how to diagnose emissions failures is part of the problem. BAR just looks at inspectors as parts identifiers with no real emissions knowledge necessary.

Re: Not Star Ready

444O444
you got me wrong, i am not telling you to give up all your resources and solely rely to the answers coming from the forum.
i was lucky of course, the other day i posted a question the answer came in less than 5 minutes before i even had a chance to go through the books and alldata.

thank you guys

Re: Not Star Ready

WealdstoneRaider
The proposed regulation of no score tech and no score station no longer qualifies for star certification should help slow down the goobs that get licensed with the intentions of low balling smog prices because the real profit is with plugging  going on in the back. But they'll probably just offer money to a good score tech to add themselves to the station to help get them certified faster.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Not Star Ready

RICHARDCRANIUM
  The biggest issue we face is that we have people making rules for us to follow that do not know what they are doing. The state needs to be held accountable and that needs to happen asap before any other changes then we can fix the program.
Shop owner 21 Years, 37+ year Smog Technician.
Inspector and repair Tech. I began in the BAR 84 platform.
Been current ever since. Momma said I hit my head a lot as a kid!

Re: Not Star Ready

Evaponly818

Re: Not Star Ready

WealdstoneRaider
This post was updated on .
Evaponly818 wrote
 A lot of you guys on this forum that supposedly do no plugging or piping have a lower score than the dudes passing everything.
We aren't allowed to post licence #'s that arent our own on here or I would show you otherwise. The few pluggers with good scores ''lucked out I guess'' But what i meant to say was with the new proposal this can help discourage potential pluggers from getting licensed in the first place since we're over saturated already.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Not Star Ready

Best Answer I Can Give
 All GREAT ideas. Never going to happen. The State would have to admit that STAR was and is WRONG.

 Two things I learned working for LA city. Safety is NUMBER ONE. NEVER ADMIT GUILT ran a close second.

Re: Not Star Ready

[...]

STAR has nothing to do with any of your points but they are worth reviewing

First

Experience is not rewarded

Second

A hoist would only benefit the station so installing one would be purely optional.

Third

All PR1 reps are required to have a smog license. And as we all know that requires ASE or equivalent. Also Brake and light has nothing to do with the program.

Next

I have to agree with the restriction of the Smog Station location and this is a really good idea.

Next Next

Please keep criticizing it is the only way we improve.

JM

Charge more and be happy!

Re: Not Star Ready

Juicebox
All PR1's are not required to have a smog license, in fact, I've had experiences withing the past 3 years with two reps that had very little smog knowledge at all. They only have to have experience in the automotive field. One was a former transmission tech, and the other a body tech. They just have to enforce the rules. I literally had to show one how and why a shop was incorrect for failing a cat without an underhood label.

Re: Not Star Ready

Best Answer I Can Give
 Hell one of the best PR's I ever knew transferred over from the Funeral Bureau.

 Years pass Yes. Two divisions in the BAR. One had to do with General Auto, the other SMOG Check. Sheri KILLED that one.

Re: Not Star Ready

444- you should look in the books, Alldata FIRST!! before you go ask for help online.
I have asked my neighbor who I get along with down the block on occasions to come by now  as he has asked me.
I first have looked in the books, alldata,  jacked the car up,hooked up my MT2500 brick for egr %'s when Bi directional was not available,  asked my employees for a second set of eyes.
I personally don't believe in asking this site for help while I have a vehicle in my testing lane.
I'm old school taught of taking pride in my job.
Good luck
And yes- there are techs who I get along with and we help each other.
However-When the jerkoff whore shop across the street comes over and asks if he can borrow my black evap adaptor or cal gas- I tell him its for sale at $500 cash.

Re: Not Star Ready

No One
Troll wrote
However-When the jerkoff whore shop across the street comes over and asks if he can borrow my black evap adaptor or cal gas- I tell him its for sale at $500 cash.
What makes him a jerkoff?

Re: Not Star Ready

Best Answer I Can Give
 EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING that guys like scanner, none, a good bunch of us have learned and KNOW, comes from getting off our ass and LEARNING.. Looking it up. NOT BEING LAZY.

 The thing about the "Thank You" GOES A LONG WAY. I believe I am one of the few who has ever said it.

 I may be TO but I still paid and went to classes after hours with Dean. Cost @ $250 plus two nights of MY time away from my family.

 Several of us have NO love for those who want to cut the price and then won't do what it takes, IE will not pay the price for doing it right.

 It is all out there for the looking and learning. Not being lazy and have someone else do it for you. We are not your MOTHER.

Re: Not Star Ready

 I may be TO but I still paid and went to classes after hours with Dean. Cost @ $250 plus two nights of MY time away from my family.
I went to one of his final classes last year.   It was on Network diagnostics.  Best freaking teacher ever.

https://atgtraining.com/product/vehicle-network-diagnostic-strategies-2/

He's since retired.

Re: Not Star Ready

EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING that guys like scanner, none, a good bunch of us have learned and KNOW, comes from getting off our ass and LEARNING.. Looking it up. NOT BEING LAZY.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

 It is all out there for the looking and learning. Not being lazy and have someone else do it for you. We are not your MOTHER.
I have learned a lot from these questions and answers on here. The free exchange of knowledge is priceless. I have gotten a lot of help from guys on here trying to help me on the Tacoma that won't run the CAT monitor. I got information and techniques for driving on the dyno that I would not find anywhere else. D has texted me back and forth about it too. (I still haven't got it to run though )