Not too Smart

Troll
  264695-
I like these guys in trying to "closely" match the type of car needing "help."
It took a real thought process, and planning to match vehicle types.  I guess they never new about the e vin, and pid counts, among other things.
They're not too far from their field office as per google maps.
I'm sure they'll claim the write up person, or customer gave them the wrong registrations to scan.
I don't want to know the actual # of how many smog shops practice this behaviour.
The honest guys are pink socked by the bar for a penmanship violation, while these dirtbags go unabated.

Re: Not too Smart

Able
Well...at least they tried...lol

BAR really needs to get on these guys. It's hurting our honest shops.

Re: Not too Smart

This is a great thing. OIS will weed out the idiots who should not be doing this job! You see they do not even get the fact that the computer cannot be cheated. Stupid people. They have no concept of EVID or any of the parameters that OBD2 is dead on about! Let them suffer the consequences of just being a smog check facility who does the job just for the buck. I never worry about the facts only about the fantasy that is STAR. But I have no control over the job although I do realize the importance of STAR. So my solution is to charge more and be happier and let the system dictate my behavior. I never fail a return customer that I passed. I never tell a customer they will fail for their check engine light. I never do a POS that makes my job more difficult. Maybe I am missing some dollars but I sure know the game is rigged and if that's the way they want it then that's the way i will play it.

Re: Not too Smart

Best Answer I Can Give
 My biggest fear of the E VIN thing is, Flooded Vehicles.

 Vehicle get's flooded in Texas. Vehicle gets Totaled in the cold North. Put the two together. WRONG E VIN.

 Several of us on this site would NEVER Cheat. WHY? My reputation is not worth the Cheat Money.
I'm going to blow 27 years of this for what? A couple hundred. Not for my best friend. Not for my brother or sister. Not for my own kids. Blow what I have worked all these years for? FOR WHAT?

 Some pile of crap person, back east, puts one and one together, One wet vehicle and One crashed vehicle, great, you come up with One sore asshole. You are out how much? TONS. Again for things that you have no control over.

 Your reputation. The way you feed your family. You want me to cheat? Buy the business, YOU CHEAT, not me.
Some young kid I could see. Some kid working for a absent owner. Fucking asshole doesn't pay me enough. I will just cheat this one, make extra money. THE KID DON'T CARE.

 YES I'm afraid of the vehicles we have no control over. I'm afraid of the BAR PR you piss off. To many ways you can get FUCKED, and it's NOT YOUR FAULT!

Re: Not too Smart

SoCalSmogGuy
Johnnybeme wrote
 I never fail a return customer that I passed.
So you don't do your job?

The vehicle couldn't have been modified since you tested it last?

The BAR could not have contacted your customer to participate in the ARB program for UC's?

Emission components couldn't have deteriorated since your last inspection?

I hope I am understanding you incorrectly.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Not too Smart

Johnnybeme
You need to understand that MY customers see me every 4 months cause I take care of their vehicle. It is an old pre-historic custom. I neither neglect nor overlook my job. It is just much more easy to verify those things that you regularly see. You really may be overly paranoid thinking that BAR would involve a consumer just to trap a technician. There has to be a complaint involved. If you charge the right price you can enjoy a certain benevolence when choosing who and what to test. Let the others discount their profession and receive that much less reward for a really stressful job.

Re: Not too Smart

locopoco
^^^^..(putting the flame suit on)
What johnny means ,is that he wouldn't fail a returning customer's vehicle that passed 2 years ago if he sees for example "The MIL is on" or "if it has some visual component missing or modified" cause thats what I do exactly also,and I'm 100% with Johnny on this,we've got to try to minimize the damage to our score as much as we can.

Re: Not too Smart

Best Answer I Can Give
 The real thing is the perversion, the way the laws have been twisted, the what is the right word?

 Back to 100 vehicles. Test 100 fail 25. Fix 24 junk the 25th. NUMBERS  that it what it is all about. Look Fed's we Calif. with our check program are fixing vehicles that are being bad. Look we improved the air with our "Working Program"

 The whole STAR program was set up to make sure we did the job right. The BAR would never let you do the BAR RIGHT
 "Test as Presented" Damn that should have been rule #1. Pre anything does not give you true and correct example of how a consumer is taking care of a vehicle.
The check engine light is on. TEST IT. The consumer did not get the education they should have. The light means it is NOT RUNNING CLEAN.

 The BAR does not and will never get it. Make simple rules. We must follow simple rules. RPM not what gear.
The shop that never has a monitor incomplete. Is that shop testing as presented. Is that shop giving a TRUE EXAMPLE of what the public is doing? Not NO but HELL NO.
But guess what they have .99 score.

Re: Not too Smart

SoCalSmogGuy
Johnnybeme wrote
It is just much more easy to verify those things that you regularly see. You really may be overly paranoid thinking that BAR would involve a consumer just to trap a technician. There has to be a complaint involved.
So you perform a complete visual and functional inspection on every car you work on, every time you work on it? Customer brings in the vehicle for bad window regulator and you verify all emission components for future inspection?

No complaint needs to be involved for BAR to contact your previous customer. This information was given to me by a 30+ year smog ref.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Not too Smart

SoCalSmogGuy wrote
...The BAR could not have contacted your customer to participate in the ARB program for UC's?...
Not very likely.

Re: Not too Smart

Smog Guy

I guess you are test only and or without good customer records. Think about what fails OIS. It is visual. If I saw anything wrong I would solicit the service. If I saw a engine light I would perform a free scan. If I noticed a new battery I would scan for monitors. I protect my rating while giving my customer a value. Win Win. Charge more and Be HAPPY!!!

JM