Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

smogtech1408
We received this letter in the mail. Reason is FPR- Tech Score Below 0.1. My tech score has been going lower and lower. i have included an image. Letter said we can appeal. My question is what is a good reason to put on the paper work for the reason to appeal? will it buy us some time at least until january to see if my STAR score improves? Do i remove myself so that we dont lose STAR certification? Our station score is good and the other tech in the machine has a no score. thanks everyone for you tips/advice. ive had my license 13 years now and this sucks

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

none
I have a friend who appealed his and they let him slide. By the next time his scores were good enough.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

smogtech1408
thanks for your reply. do you know what he stated in his appeal? more or less what reason he put down to appeal? thanks

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

 Looking for a reason? Well why do you believe the score is down. Put down what you believe. Putting down lies makes you remember those lies.
Put down what you believe.

 Now you appeal. If they deny the appeal, ask for a "Formal Appeal" One in front of a judge. That should buy you enough time to get your score up.

 FAIL everything. Pass everything that should pass. DON'T BE A NICE GUY.

 Biggest thing is what you are doing here. ASK FOR HELP. Listen to that help. Go back and read others who have been in the same boat.
My advice? APPEAL. I wrote one on how the BAR does not want STAR in the court system.

 Personalty I would put 2 checks a day away. $80 to $100 a day put it away to hire a Lawyer. You lose your STAR it will cost you WAY more than $100 a day. Keep that money and save it to pay a Lawyer.

 My feeling is, Not a judge in the land will uphold a law that says you are held responsible to what happens to a vehicle that you have looked at for 20 minutes. You must make sure it stays clean for two years? STAR will be thrown out and then the law suit happen.

 Just the advice of a old man.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

mikesmobile
Test everything that comes in your shop. If the light is on test and fail.
Don't pretest any monitors, test all cars.
Every car you turn away you are lowering you FPR.
Mike

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

smogtech1408 wrote
thanks for your reply. do you know what he stated in his appeal? more or less what reason he put down to appeal? thanks
I really don't know what he put down but I got the impression from him that it didn't really matter what he put down.

mikesmobile wrote
Test everything that comes in your shop. If the light is on test and fail.
Don't pretest any monitors, test all cars.
Every car you turn away you are lowering you FPR.
I don't know that I wouldn't pretest for monitors and reject some where there are pending codes or an incomplete monitor if you feel it may cause a fail the next round. Also if you passed a car two years ago you don't want it to fail for "NOT READY" this time.

That being said, My FPR is low too.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

Best Answer I Can Give
Mine was in the TOILET. Stopped being a NICE guy, FAILED rather than, "Go get it fixed". STAR score has done nothing but go up.

 Now retired PR told me, "If you were a nice guy, you didn't get your score.'

 Remember, We tested this many. This many failed. This many we fixed. This many we junked.

 FUCKING NUMBERS
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

My Name is Nobody
smogtech1408 wrote
We received this letter in the mail. Reason is FPR- Tech Score Below 0.1. My tech score has been going lower and lower. i have included an image. Letter said we can appeal. My question is what is a good reason to put on the paper work for the reason to appeal? will it buy us some time at least until january to see if my STAR score improves? Do i remove myself so that we dont lose STAR certification? Our station score is good and the other tech in the machine has a no score. thanks everyone for you tips/advice. ive had my license 13 years now and this sucks
Proceed with the informal appeal then formal appeal if necessary to buy time.

The BAR has proposed STAR regulations changes, one of the changes is STAR certification invalidation to suspension.

See page 23 under § 3392.5 & § 3392.6.

https://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Text-STAR_Regs.pdf

The reason to put on the appeal is you and your staff have been doing smog check per BAR procedures.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

... That being said, My FPR is low too.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

BasicTech678
do everything best answer said except wasting your money on a lawyer, appeals sound like it should provide you with "time" plus lets you save cash on the side should you have to change shops. good luck dont give up. no point in trying to see a judge unless it was worth fighting.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

Smogtech
My friend shop he hired a lawyer to appeal for him. Still star cert status and his fr go up slowly .16  .22. 35

Or you can appeal yourself

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

BasicTech678
Smogtech wrote
My friend shop he hired a lawyer to appeal for him. Still star cert status and his fr go up slowly .16  .22. 35

Or you can appeal yourself
http://automotivedefense.com/2009/07/20/fight-bar-smog-citations/

smog lawyers pop up in google worth a call

With those STAR scores he wouldn't loose his STAR status anyway. It has to stay above .10

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

Troll
Smog lawyer William F worth his price.

What was he able to accomplish that makes him worth his price?
Mike

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

Best Answer I Can Give
 PLEASE, some one who is TONS better than me at finding old posted stuff. PLEASE some one find it.  THANKS

 2\3\4\5 years back, some one from\was with the BAR\had access to some BAR stuff posted on how the BAR had over 1100 cases on file. File for APPEAL of their STAR Certification.

 If I remember right he said what I have been saying. The State A.G. would not send OR BACK the BAR on STAR. The A.G. KNEW  they would lose. THUS ENDING STAR.

 So if one of you that are good at that stuff could, (I suck at it)  Thanks.

he was .o7  then got the later

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

Mike

Explain how turning down POS cars lowers FPR?

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

locopoco
I always turn down POS cars,not worth the headache,and my score is in nineties.

Re: Notice of STAR Certification Invalidation. need advice

mikesmobile
I was mainly referring to engine lights and monitors...
Smogging old cars likely to fail will lower FPR too because the chances of those failing the next cycle.
Agreed. Testing cars that are close to failing a smog will lower FPR too.
Mike
12