O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

vladkgb
Bought a 2014 Wrangler with 80k miles from a private party. Car runs perfect, no codes, all sensors ready except O2 sensor. This being my first California car purchase, I thought at worst it might just be a bad sensor and closed the deal anyway. Now a month later i'm in SMOG HELL.

Took it to one dealership, who flashed the PCM and told me to drive it 100 miles, i drove 350 miles, came back to them, they gave me a print out of "drive cycles" told me to that. Followed that crap, nothing. They told me keep driving if you need an extension to the Referee.

Took it to another dealer, they had the car for 2 weeks all they did were "Drive cycles"  recommended by STAR, now they are asking me to commit to $500 more to continue diagnosing the problem.

Drove around 1k miles since I bought the car.

Called referee turns out they don't give exceptions to cars undergoing ownership change only for renewals. WTF!?

At this point I feel like my options are getting slim.

I'm going to buy o2 sensors and swap them all out myself try to clean the Throttle body, MAF sensor and pray.

Any one have any ideas?

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

Ram Rod
Is it the O2 sensor or O2 heater monitor that is not ready?

Any one have any ideas?
 rub some vicks vapor rub on it

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

Ram Rod
Vladkgb are you a Smog Technician lol?

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

BasicTech678
Ram Rod wrote
Vladkgb are you a Smog Technician lol?
most likely not just a

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

Have you tried consulting google?

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

BasicTech678
No One wrote
Have you tried consulting google?
dr. google? or which google you talking about?

Happy Fridays Amigos

oh yea and it looks like the rain finally passed it was overcast all week rained for about 2-3 hours nothing but sunshine now

o2 sensor, everything else is good to go.

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

vladkgb
Why all the trolling? I'm just seeking advice because I'm out of options and the "technicians" i've been to so far don't seem to be of any help.

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

vladkgb
Also Dr. Google.com is why i'm here lol

Find a real technician at with the proper tools to check mode 6 and mode 9 for the 02 sensors. Your asking for a handout with no technical information. Just pay up if they cant fix it get your money back. Sounds like the first place ripped you off id contact the bar. Even though its rare that the dealer cant figure out a readdiness issue. Im sure your leaving out plenty of info. Guess car flipping wasnt as easy as you thought.

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

vladkgb
No car flipping, I just moved to CA and bought a car of craigslist, I didn't know i'd be in this mess.

Could you recommend any real techs in Bay Area? Or how i can go about finding one?

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

vladkgb
Filed the complaint with BAR. Thanks for that, i didn't know this existed. The first dealership was McKevitt in Berkeley who refused to help and gave me a print out of a "drive cycle" even after i drove the car 400 miles and said to go to the referee if i still cant get the sensor to set.

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

D may be onto the edge of something there:

Jeep 2010-2011 Wrangler 3.8L Failure to set Oxygen
sensor monitor. PCM not running monitor frequently enough.
Recall L34 (m/t) through 9/10/2010. Recall L35 (a/t)
through 3/26/2011, and/or OEM drive cycle not working.
Reflash PCM per TSB 18-027-10.
May need to run special drive cycle to set 02 monitor.
[Coast from 70 to 30mph three times then pullover and restart engine.]

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

barrym95838 wrote
D may be onto the edge of something there:

May need to run special drive cycle to set 02 monitor.
[Coast from 70 to 30mph three times then pullover and restart engine.]

That's pretty fast on a dyno, but doable.   I think you'd need to be watching a scanner while you're doing this.  If you're not watching a scanner, you'd be making an assumption that the O2 are high at the time of deceleration.  Make sure the rear O2 sensors are above 700mv when you're at 70 mph, and then let off the throttle, let the engine go into fuel cut off and watch the O2s tank.   Do that 3 times, stop and shut off the engine.   I'm not sure how long you'd leave the engine off though.

As BasicTech678 said, look at Mode 9 and see if the monitor had run.   Do that before you do the dyno run.   If the counter isn't clicking off, something is suspending that monitor.

Re: O2 Sensor incomplete not ready

Best Answer I Can Give
 Last 16 hr. update class the teacher,  (if you want to call him that) said one of the rules of OBD was it could NOT effect safety or drive-ability. How safe is that drive cycle? 70 and then coast down. Where in the hell are you to find a place to do that?
2 AM on a freeway? A cop will pull you over thinking you are DRUNK.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.
12