OBD 2 monitors not ready

ThePharmacist
So I would occasionally will have a customer not understand why their car didn't pass for Not Ready. So to better help myself explain to future customers on the monitors not being ready, can you guys share how you explain Not Ready to your customers?

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

Best Answer I Can Give
Lots of luck.

 We find it easier to tell them how to set them. My son Ryan has come up with a good way. Works 75% of the time.
DO NOT DRIVE OVER 59MPH. Do Not Drive under 51MPH. @ 10 minutes on the freeway. Tell them to forget about the honking of horns and the middle finger salute.
10 minutes out. Stop. Pull out the key. Count to 60 and drive back, AT THOSE SAME SPEEDS.
I have had 3 do that today. 3 that passed when they came back.

 It works for us.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

KeepItReal
ThePharmacist wrote
So I would occasionally will have a customer not understand why their car didn't pass for Not Ready. So to better help myself explain to future customers on the monitors not being ready, can you guys share how you explain Not Ready to your customers?

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

none
What really amazes me is that twenty years later so many people are still surprised at this and have no idea or so they claim.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

Best Answer I Can Give
 Still the, Oh it just needs a oil change.
The, my mechanic just turns it off every time.
The Lies, I don't  know why.

 We have a sign. They just ignore it.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

garyboy
Your vehicle fail for the monitors being incomplete.
"THE MONITORS" are the checks the computer makes to the supported emission systems.
These are run by computer while you drive your vehicle normally.
15 miles street.
15 miles fwy between 55-60 mph.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

none
garyboy wrote
Your vehicle fail for the monitors being incomplete.
"THE MONITORS" are the checks the computer makes to the supported emission systems.
These are run by computer while you drive your vehicle normally.
15 miles street.
15 miles fwy between 55-60 mph.
All sounds good except for the last part.

I think most cars I see wouldn't run them with just that but I would hear about it if I told them to do that and the AIR or CAT was still incomplete.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

Best Answer I Can Give
 My question is, WHY DID THEY MAKE IT SO HARD.

 The kid pulled one up on a Honda. It told you that if you did what they wanted you will have driven over 200 miles. Where in the hell are you going to find a place to "Coast down from 45MPH and not touch the brake?"
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

garyboy
If it has air injection I would add,
with the engine cold overnight idle the vehicle 5 minutes before driving.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

... Where in the hell are you going to find a place to "Coast down from 45MPH and not touch the brake?"
I have a place right here, on my dyno.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

Best Answer I Can Give
 That's great. EXCEPT you have to many IDIOTS. Yes I'm one. To many shops going, "Just drive it 100 miles". No we are not that big of idiots. We tell them some of the stuff that must be done.
 Now if it was Dyno and Dyno only. That could make me think Test and repair.

They start acting tom STUPID. Look it up on the NET.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

They start acting tom STUPID...
Is that a typo or are you trying to say something about me?

Tom

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

Best Answer I Can Give
PURE TYPO Sorry.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

My question is, WHY DID THEY MAKE IT SO HARD.
 The kid pulled one up on a Honda.
Don't forget the Honda trick.  Bulb check, MIL flashes after a minute or so means monitors unset.  Shoulda been an OBDII requirement IMHO!

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

ThePharmacist
I usually tell them drive at least a 100 miles too. I would give them a generic list on how to set monitors but I don't unless they become one of those annoying customers who would keep coming back multiple times a day. Telling them how to exactly drive is too much of a liability. What if they get into an accident or some traffic violation and they tell the cop, "Well the smog shop told me to do it to pass smog?" But I do appreciate everyone's feedback

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

none
ThePharmacist wrote
... Telling them how to exactly drive is too much of a liability...
I heard that the REFEREE won't give drive cycle instructions either for that reason.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

Best Answer I Can Give
Tamper, more on the Honda thing. What year? How long do you wait? 1 flash? 2?

 Thanks.  No we did not know.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: OBD 2 monitors not ready

For newer Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles, to determine if the vehicle is ready for E-Check, turn the ignition key to the “on” position for 15 seconds without cranking the engine. If the service engine soon indicator blinks eight times, it means that the vehicle is not ready for E-Check; if the service engine soon indicator stays on solid, it means that the vehicle is ready for E-Check testing. This procedure was included in the Owner’s Manual for a 2012 Ford Focus. This same procedure may apply to other models and model years Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles.

For Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge, the owner’s manual states that the vehicle has a simple ignition key actuated test, which you can use prior to going to the test station. To check if your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready, you must do the following:

 1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, but do not crank or start the engine. If you crank or start the engine, you will have to start this test over.
 2. As soon as you turn the ignition switch to the ON position, you will see the MIL symbol come on as part of a normal bulb check.
 3. Approximately 15 seconds later, one of two things will happen:
  a. The MIL will flash for about 10 seconds and then return to being fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is not ready and you should not proceed to the E-Check station.
  b. The MIL will not flash at all and will remain fully illuminated until you turn OFF the ignition or start the engine. This means that your vehicle’s OBD II system is ready and you can proceed to the E-Check station.

Honda/Acura, from the owner’s manual, to check if the readiness codes are set, turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, without starting the engine. The MIL will come on for 20 seconds. If it then goes off, the readiness monitors are set. If it blinks five times, the readiness monitors are not set.

http://epa.ohio.gov/Portals/27/echeck/docs/OBDReadinessDriveCycles.pdf