OBD reference guide

Lose weight
To the shops that get a obd no communication and fail the vehicle, check to see if said vehicle is on the obd reference guide first and go from there. Like the early 2000's diesel ram 2500   that weighs over 8500 gvwr cough* cough* https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_OBD_Reference_Lite_Version.pdf
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: OBD reference guide

none
"NO COMMUNICATION" or "INVALID DATA" ? I have seen INVALID DATA when a California truck has a federal computer installed but I've never had NO COMMUNICATION nor do I see that on the OBD reference guide.

Re: OBD reference guide

user7112
Can we pin this?
It will be useful when someone runs into an OBD problem

Re: OBD reference guide

D Rochells 150861
It should be pinned to your brain already

Re: OBD reference guide

user7112
“Never memorize something that you can look up.”

― Albert Einstein

"Mind your own business "

-  Unknown

Re: OBD reference guide

D Rochells 150861
It is my business when I hear from customers have been driving 1000 miles because techs don't know of a document that has been around for longer than they have had their license. It was called appendix J in the beginning. I have saved so many poor 1996-1998 Volvo owners and more from monitor hell by reading that document and checking for updates. I'm not telling you to memorize it, just reference it and check for updates. Everyone needs to reread the manuals and familiarize themselves with all the BAR resources without hearing about it on a forum. It's called, DOING YOUR FUCKING JOB

Re: OBD reference guide

Customer said it failed down the street for not ''connecting to computer'' so it must of been invalid data. So the other tech must of pressed yes when the ois asked if it had OBD.
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: OBD reference guide

user7112 wrote
“Never memorize something that you can look up.”

― Albert Einstein

"Mind your own business "

-  Unknown
Then you should PIN THIS on YOUR computer so you can look it up.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Industry_Resources/Smog_Check_Manual_and_Reference_Guides.aspx

I also have these links pinned on mine;
https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

Re: OBD reference guide

user7112
Guys i'm saying i'll keep this on hand in case i run into this issue
expecting me to memorize the whole thing is kind of ridiculous

hence me saying we should pin this for other users to benefit from it

Re: OBD reference guide

D Rochells 150861
No one is telling you to memorize, we are saying you need to be proactive and know what resources are available on the bars shitty website.

Re: OBD reference guide

I'm not telling you to memorize it but to familiarize yourself with it.

That way when someone comes to your shop with a 2006 Jeep Wrangler and has three incomplete monitors you can think "wait, I've seen something about that." and look it up.

Re: OBD reference guide

This is an old subject and just print the page and put by the machine I say, if you cant remember

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019, 3:41 PM Lose weight [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
To the shops that get a obd no communication and fail the vehicle, check to see if said vehicle is on the obd reference guide first and go from there. Like the early 2000's diesel ram 2500 with  that weighs over 8500 gvwr cough* cough*
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/OBD-reference-guide-tp5076863.html