OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Samy
I smoged a 2000 Volvo today. During Mil functional check ESP machine asked me if the light is on KOEO. Then it ask me to start engine and ask if light is on now or off? I said no because it went off when the engine started. Next thing it said you are stating light is out but it is commanded to be on by the ECM. It then asked me to Do the whole process again and it was same answer to say light is out with engine running. The vehicle failed the test because there was a Po740 TCC Solenoid recorded by OIS. I used a generic code reader the one I use  most of the time/every day. All monitors were ran with no code or pending code so I send her to her mechanic who fixes her car or Ref. In the mean time I called my local bar and the guy said it was just smoged 30 minutes after you smoged it 5 miles away from you and it passed. What the heck is going on?
I am upset and angry because this customer is going to bad mouth my name and business.
To make things worse the BAR guy told me the generic scanner is not approved by BAR or to be used for diagnostics. I told the guy I do not use the generic scanner to trouble shoot. Just to read for pending codes, monitors or faulty codes

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Troll
Do you need some kleenex, or your diaper changed?  Honestly- that was such a crying post.   The customer is well aware of his mil being on, and is testing you like a child tests their parental limits.Welcome to the business world.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Samy
Do you need some kleenex, or your diaper changed?  Honestly- that was such a crying post.

Wow, Maybe you need to reread the post again and understand it before you right your shitty comment.
Check engine light past the functional test and was never on during the test or driving around. It only came on with KOEO.
But don't worry I wont let you wipe off your mouth with my dirty diaper again.
Sam

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Best Answer I Can Give
Sammy, you are not the first one it has happened to. Several times we have pushed the right button only to have the light come on half way thru the test. Never got called on it.

 Now "Generic" Scanners, What a joke. The TRUTH is OBD II is a joke. What was to be is not what is real.
We have @ 4 different scanners. Some will just not see what others will.

 Every once in a while a Hic-up like you got? I don't think the BAR has the man power to look into it. They would rather ding your score. If you are doing the best you can, the STAR score should be OK.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Samy
The bar guy was thinking the check engine light it is been connected to the oil pressure switch. That is why it goes out when the engine is running. But what it gets me is how did it pass in other station in 30 minutes/5 miles away after I smoged it with a tranny hard code Po740. The funny part is on passed smog all the monitors were ran and no pending codes according to the bar guy.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

It is not possible to provide a rational explanation for every unusual event that occurs on our watch.  We can only hope that these anomalies don't get into our head too much and negatively affect our performance.

I had to explain to my boss again yesterday that I can't provide an efficient solution for every problem that manages to stumble in here, and sometimes I can't even come up with an inefficient solution for the same.  You gotta try to choose your battles, and also try not to lose too much sleep over the battles you avoided or deserted.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

I stand by my comments.  40 years in the biz.  Retiring soon, but not going away.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

It's possible the customer had a backup plan to have it "passed"  it if did not pass regularly. I doubt that person will yelp you if that's what you're concerned about (those dang yelpers!) Wonder if they'll eye that station now if it passed with no pending codes a  short time after you failed it.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Troll
That's a perfect yelp scenario for 1 star.  "He failed me, and then it passed 30 minutes later.".Customer will probably use his cap lock while yelping.  Then a bar visit with the request to give back the money, unless the paperwork is not right then a demand for a refund and a write up.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

The answers the fact that you scan tool couldn't read the transmission control module so from the to link that you had available to you you were unable to read the module. More than likely what happened is they went to the other shop the other shot cleared the tcm and then smiled it without clearing the monitors for the PCM, my advice is get a better scanner

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018, 8:40 PM Samy [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email] wrote:
[...]

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/OIS-check-engine-light-on-detection-during-functional-test-tp5070428.html

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

defective
Did you try to check codes/monitors with your OIS?  Each DAD should have its own app to check monitors.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

KEVIN, What 2000 VOLVO has a separate transmission control module? I thought they were integrated by then and that is why he pulled a generic P0740 code with the OIS. If it was only in the transmission module and only the VOLVO'S VIDA can scan it then the BAR OIS shouldn't have picked it up either is what I thought.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Chalk it up to a shit happens and move on. But honestly that's why the whole Max monitor criteria score exists is the reality is it a lot of us pass vehicles that probably have problems with them where the customer has cleared the memory on the vehicle by disconnecting the battery or such drives it long enough to set the minimum require monitors and then has us certify the vehicle full well knowing that the vehicle needs repairs that they're just ignoring. I had a vehicle come in recently that's also one of my regular repair shop customers and I know for a fact that the vehicle has had a check engine on for some time and when it came in for the inspection I actually declined the vehicle my customer wanted to know why and I had to explain it to them that I knew exactly what they had done. The vehicle has an issue with the throttle position sensor but because the vehicle drives normally the customer has chosen to ignore the issue

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Troll wrote
Do you need some kleenex, or your diaper changed?  Honestly- that was such a crying post.   The customer is well aware of his mil being on, and is testing you like a child tests their parental limits.Welcome to the business world.
same hes crying to us like we can change the shitty outcome, i would of reran that bitch one more time and it would have passed no problem i bet. next time close the window it will forget the obd part since it didnt complete it have the car running forget all that mil bullshit and it would have went threw. not your fault you got a shitty volvo but you could of tired one more time

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Kevin wrote

nice trick there kevin im sure even harbor fright scan tools can clear tcm codes, must be a really shitty scanner lol

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Samy
The reason I used a cheap scanner it is because I just wanted to know if there were any  codes in PCM thats all I cared at the moment and I was not diagnosing anything. Later on when I spoke with a bar guy I found out that the check engine light was connected to the oil pressure switch. Any how the shop who re smoged right after me is under watch now. Too bad.
I thought this web site is all about a place to share and give experiences so what is all this shit about and  Is this how you always welcome new comers?
why can't we get along?

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

Troll
Cheap scanners are for the parking lot fixers.  Go onto the snap on truck.  They have quick scanners which have worked very well for me/us n the past.  The harbor freight ones come out with jibberish info.
I remember i also bought an Auto enginuity program back on 04 due to the TSI subaru 6 cyinder CAN vehicles and egr testing.  My approach was not to test egr since it was inacessable, but print out the can parameters and attach them to our work orders in case bar came out and asked us how did we test them.
Not by the book or manual, but effort spent and documented,
Or go on ebay, craigslist or snap on truck for used scanner.

Re: OIS check engine light on detection during functional test

none
Troll wrote
Cheap scanners are for the parking lot fixers.  Go onto the snap on truck.  They have quick scanners which have worked very well for me/us n the past.  The harbor freight ones come out with jibberish info.
I remember i also bought an Auto enginuity program back on 04 due to the TSI subaru 6 cyinder CAN vehicles and egr testing.  My approach was not to test egr since it was inacessable, but print out the can parameters and attach them to our work orders in case bar came out and asked us how did we test them.
Not by the book or manual, but effort spent and documented,
Or go on ebay, craigslist or snap on truck for used scanner.
I agree with you completely except that none of those will connect to the 2000 Volvo other than on the generic side. The Snap On scan tool is great on domestic and Asian but it's hit or miss on Euro trash.