Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

mikesmobile
Wanted to start getting techs to list their visual failures to help fellow techs catch ones they may be missing.
Got one today
2006 Honda accord 4 cyl broken air intake hose after the sensor....
Hope we can keep this topic bumped, or pinned so we can learn about visual fails we may be missing.
Mike

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

Lose weight
mikesmobile wrote
visual fails we may be missing.
Or turned a ''blind eye'' by some too: 2002 Ford Expedition, driver side cats are aftermarket and Eo's not correct for that year model and engine size. Checked vehicle history and never failed before, first tech to "T" it
Exercise and dividends,dividends, DIVIDENDS.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

VW Passat 4cyl. PCV tube broken under the intake manifold and broken dip stick tubes on Jettas and Beetles.

Larger than stock exhaust before the cat on diesels. 7.3L Ford, Chevy, and 98 Dodge have 3" stock. 6.0L Ford is 3"-3.5" at the flange, and 03 and later Dodge is 4"

EGR cooler missing on air cooled VW bugs and buses. This is the Square box underneath by the muffler.

Missing "thermo reactors" on early Porsche 911s and 930s. We don't see too many of these but they are always missing the thermo-reactors and some have catalytic converters installed to pass the tail pipe readings.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

Hope we can keep this topic bumped, or pinned so we can learn about visual fails we may be missing.
Pictures would be a PLUS if they have them.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

deathbysmog

Pcv hose on honda's and Acura's can collapse when the engine is running.

The u shaped hose on GM evap purge.

Evap hose can collapse when the engine is running on Ford 4.6L and 5.4L

Any of the old ford Evap hose setup like this one.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

SomgSlayer76
Nice I like this thread already, it can help alert other smog technicians of a tampered car in the area. I had one yesterday and unfortunately no pic but it was a 2000 Mercedes ML320. Vehicle was missing passengers side WU-TWC, everything else was in tampered. It was literally after the first O2s straight pipe then second O2s the thing is, all the monitors were ready

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

SomgSlayer76
Missing "thermo reactors" on early Porsche 911s and 930s. We don't see too many of these but they are always missing the thermo-reactors and some have catalytic converters installed to pass the tail pipe readings.
So I don't understand, I remember a few years ago I had an old BMW 2002 and according to the underhood label it was suppose to have a thermal reactor. What was on it was a CA approved CAT. So are you saying thermal reactors can only be replaced with other thermal reactors? I ended up passing it btw because I've never heard of an aftermarket thermal reactor.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

STAR is Racist
People do a timing belt on an old Honda and set TDC to the 3 marks instead of the 2 marks. The timing is off 20 degrees and there's not enough adjustment in the distributor to set it in range.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

ThePharmacist wrote
The old BMW 2002 did not have a cat from the factory. It had a thermo-reactor in the exhaust manifold.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

BlueSky
2012 Kia Optima 2.0T.  Customer purchased used from a Colorado Dealer, As Is.  There are mods (No EO#s) to the Inner Cooler, Wastegate, Air Tubing and Air Intake.  He says to me what can I do and I said FIX IT.
Mods to Intake and Turbo
Mods to Innercooler

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

none
Intercooler on gas does not require an EO# per APPENDIX G. The rest sure does, including that blow off valve.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

Anon A Mouse
Broken dipstick tube VW. Plastic is broken loose from the pipe.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

mikesmobile
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6cyl: Split PCV hose going into air intake box. Tugged a little and hose slipped off. Crack couldn't be seen from top, turned hose and cracked/split at bottom.
Common on Jeeps.
Mike

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

kilativ

Mostly all 2000s ford f150 5.4l. PCV hose elbow

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

kilativ
Most BMW 3.0l mid 2000. Cracked air cleaner hose.

Re: Of help to fellow smog techs. Starting to list visual failures

stopstar1234
Wish i took pictures but had a 2009 honda accord come in missing its 3rd underbody cat. both rear o2s were also tampered the exhaust was painted to look oem but a pipe was put in place for that cat.. no check engine lights and all monitors set
12345