Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

TheSmogDog
Had a 1993 T100 in today with an aftermarket cat. There was so much scraping, staining, etc. I could not
 read the EO # whatsoever. I usually use a brillo pad of some sort (sometimes fine steel wool) to kinda scrub the cat in order to see the number. Usually works no problem but this thing took some real elbow grease and I could still barely make out the number. Anyone else have any neat methods to be able to see the EO on these older cats? Almost punted just because I couldn't get it

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

Technician A
I am interested also as I haven't found a reliable way to clean up the numbers. I don't even try on some really bad looking ones. The engraving is so thin you can scrub it away.

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

smog frogposter
Technician A wrote
I am interested also as I haven't found a reliable way to clean up the numbers. I don't even try on some really bad looking ones. The engraving is so thin you can scrub it away.
If the EO number or part number is illegible from the catalyst, fail it and send the customer to the referee after making a note of the illegible labeling. But if you really want to go ahead and try to salvage it, wait for the catalyst to cool down and use a solvent such as carburetor or brake cleaners but sometimes the labeling is so deteriorated and worn due to scuffs and scratches you will have no other choice but to send the vehicle to a referee.

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

This is a big problem for me too. A little oil on a rag wiped across a hot cat seems to help make the numbers show up better too.

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

TheSmogDog
Never heard of this, might have to give it a try.. Thanks!

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

smog frogposter wrote
Technician A wrote
I am interested also as I haven't found a reliable way to clean up the numbers. I don't even try on some really bad looking ones. The engraving is so thin you can scrub it away.
If the EO number or part number is illegible from the catalyst, fail it and send the customer to the referee after making a note of the illegible labeling. But if you really want to go ahead and try to salvage it, wait for the catalyst to cool down and use a solvent such as carburetor or brake cleaners but sometimes the labeling is so deteriorated and worn due to scuffs and scratches you will have no other choice but to send the vehicle to a referee.
what would be the point of sending it to the reff if you believe your properly failing it?

The labels are required to contain an EO number that can be used to
verify CARB approval or exemption, as outlined in section 1.3.1. Note: A missing or illegible
APL does not constitute an inspection failure.
 In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the
inspector may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB
approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO
parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.

Since January 1, 2009, ARB has required that all aftermarket catalytic converters installed
in California bear an EO number. If an EO number is not present and/or the wrong
converter(s) is installed, the vehicle shall fail the catalyst visual inspection.

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

BasicTech678
me personally vehicles with older than 2009 i am more lenient with converters that have obviously been installed for a very long time. given the example above, was a 1993. eo number isnt law just tier and size applicable. if the converter has age and normal grime rust oil whatever, ill let it be as long as no tamper fails in the history. but if it was a brand new less than a year old and purposely scraped off, t100 dont sit very low that would be suspect. fail!! they can fuck off. anything over 2009 cat eo numbers are etched on alot better and easier to clean off. i personally dont sweat older vehicles with old cats.

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

smog frogposter
"what would be the point of sending it to the reff if you believe your properly failing it?"

The local field rep in my area instructed us to fail the Catalyst for an illegible CARB number, make a note of the illegible aftermarket part on the work order and advise the customer to seek the Referee.

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

Hard Nox
Do my best to read the eo# and part # . reference to CARB listing.

Clean those hard to read numbers using Steel Wool. Use a shop rag and WD40 or other spray oil I have on the workbench.
Flashlight used at different angles and different brightness.

I will check if there is valid documentation for repeat customers that have hard to read #s. As a rule there will be a CARB approval list attached to their previous test.

Pass  Fail  Reject  will be determined at that point.

Re: Old Cat Cleaning Methods?

cant read it = fail

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 4:43 PM TheSmogDog [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Had a 1993 T100 in today with an aftermarket cat. There was so much scraping, staining, etc. I could not
 read the EO # whatsoever. I usually use a brillo pad of some sort (sometimes fine steel wool) to kinda scrub the cat in order to see the number. Usually works no problem but this thing took some real elbow grease and I could still barely make out the number. Anyone else have any neat methods to be able to see the EO on these older cats? Almost punted just because I couldn't get it

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Old-Cat-Cleaning-Methods-tp5083258.html

Kevin Casillas