Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Older Ford. Will not start. As in turn over.
I walk out and start it. What did I do?

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

Midnightdrummer
Jump the solenoid on the fenderwell?

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

Best Answer I Can Give
Nope started it with the key.

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

What do you mean by "older"?  Was the ignition switch in the column or in the dash?  Was it a ~30-year-old pickup or Econoline with a tilt column?

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

Best Answer I Can Give
 That didn't matter. But I did forget about the tilt column thing. How many of us KNOW that one?
Placement of the switch had nothing to do with it.

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

Johnnybeme
Did you pull up on the column mounted trans shifter while turning the key, activating the park-neutral switch?

That's an old one........

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

Best Answer I Can Give
Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

Kevin
See that he just called us dinosaurs. I had A 1991 F250 that I could leave the keys in it and most people couldn't figure out how to start it

Re: Old Farts, Don't answer till later.

none
I had a clapped out 91 F250 manual trans in today that broke the little cast pull rod for the ignition. It was at the end of the test after my tech had started and stopped it a few times. The customer went ballistic that it wouldn't start without jumping the solenoid and I should have told him to pound sand and that his truck is an old POS but I told him "leave it and I'll fix it." The part is only $11 but it took about an hour to pull the tilt column apart and replace it and it was busy today.

That Ford design is as crappy as the Chevy ones. The steering column must be made by the same company because I've never done a Ford tilt column before but it pivots just like a Chevy and has that same stupid pull rod to the ignition switch idea.