One Thousand per Day

SmogTechmm23
The shop down the street is claiming to be averaging one thousand a day. Now I don't know if that is  gross or net after expenses of the the day but it seems somewhat outrageous since I'm doing four to five smogs a day.
Marco A. Martinez

Re: One Thousand per Day

Best Answer I Can Give
 Gross? That is Chicken Feed.
20 at $50 is $1000. Simple.

 With DMV crap we can Gross $4\5,000 a day. GROSS.
Now NET that is a different story.

 My best year? My Taxable was @ $12 a car. Worse @$6 a car.

 When I owned the building. With Rent\DMV fees we saw over a Million a year. That was then NOT TODAY.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: One Thousand per Day

If you had the cetia data then you could see if thats correct.  Then, or irregardless you have to make a business plan on how to be profitable.  More is not always the answer especially if its for less.$$
Experience, planning, advertising and having someone you can talk with is key.

Re: One Thousand per Day

Just to add some number to crunch. We did 38 OIS and 17 BAR-97 today and it wasn't non-stop. There are busier and bigger shops than me around. So lets say average is $40(Besta's number)x55(my number)=$2,200 GROSS. If you are at 45% profit margin you would NET $990 in one day. That would leave $1,210 per day for overhead.

I bet these guys do better than that. http://www.smogstopsacramento.com/

Re: One Thousand per Day

BlueSky
none wrote

 Nice to know I'm still in the top 100.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: One Thousand per Day

Kriss Vector

Re: One Thousand per Day

Best Answer I Can Give
 Hey post the top ?????
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: One Thousand per Day

BlueSky
Top 32 Smog Stations January 2017

Re: One Thousand per Day

alldsd1motor
I use to work at Smog Stop in Sacramento. Busiest shop I ever seen. On a slow day 40-50 cars. Busy days your looking around 60-70 cars. They are killing it pout there. Two bay shop with two techs. Now I own my own shop and barely see 10 a day.

Re: One Thousand per Day

BlueSky
Top 32 Producing Smog Shops in 2016

Re: One Thousand per Day

OH CRAP! Does that mean I am number 60 in the state for January?

Re: One Thousand per Day

SMOG-N-GO are big number guys around here too. They advertise A LOT.

Re: One Thousand per Day

BlueSky
No your #51, list starts at #10

Here 33-65 for 2016

Re: One Thousand per Day

Best Answer I Can Give
The Higher on the list. The bigger the Bull's Eye.

 At one point years ago we were #12.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: One Thousand per Day

BlueSky wrote
No your #51, list starts at #10

Here 33-65 for 2016

I'm California Smog in Auburn. Number 44 for the year ?

I don't work Saturdays, I'm not the cheapest and I'm not at the best location. There is another guy near me that I thought did far more than me. He is also STAR and is cheaper on older ones and same price on newer plus he does DMV. He is a nice guy too so I know it isn't about that either. I don't advertise other than once a year in my local paper and in column ad in two phone books.

I am going to call it a blessing from above and we are actually going to slow down a little to make sure we do a better job.

Re: One Thousand per Day

BlueSky
I think this is the shop you are referring too...

Re: One Thousand per Day

The Higher on the list. The bigger the Bull's Eye.

 At one point years ago we were #12.
Higher volume doesn't necessarily equal more profit either. You are close in volume but as we talked the other day, Your prices are higher and rent is less plus you do DMV.

Re: One Thousand per Day

Best Answer I Can Give
 I do DMV as a Zero profit. It is my lose leader.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: One Thousand per Day

alldsd1motor
Where did you get this list from?
12