One replaced FI

ozzey
This post was updated on .
We had a Ford F-250 that came in for an inspection with 1 fuel injector replaced, it had a brand new wire clip and wiring. It sat out like a sore thumb, very noticeable. Aftermarket fuel injector requires a EO#.

What do you technicians do to find out if this fuel injector is factory or aftermarket, the right size and correct part for this particular vehicle? It had a purple top instead of the blue top like the rest of the 7 injectors.

We Aborted the test and told the customer to take it somewhere else because we didn't want to Fail the truck improperly and take his money.

Re: One replaced FI

none
If it is sold as a replacement part it is OK. If it is a performance part it isn't but then why would they do just one. Per appendix G

Re: One replaced FI

It's a PASS.

Re: One replaced FI

simpleman510
OEM replacement i would of passed it

Re: One replaced FI

smog man
It's highly unlikely that they replaced one injector, with a performance one. It's probably just an aftermarket replacement OEM injector, I wouldn't worry about the color of it. If someone was going to put in performance injectors, they would replace all of them, not just one.

Re: One replaced FI

BayAreaSmogTech
ozzey wrote
We had a Ford F-250 that came in for an inspection with 1 fuel injector replaced, it had a brand new wire clip and wiring. It sat out like a sore thumb, very noticeable. Aftermarket fuel injector requires a EO#.

What do you technicians do to find out if this fuel injector is factory or aftermarket, the right size and correct part for this particular vehicle? It had a purple top instead of the blue top like the rest of the 7 injectors.

We Aborted the test and told the customer to take it somewhere else because we didn't want to Fail the truck improperly and take his money.
Its a fail if they crimped the wiring according to my bar update course instructor.

Re: One replaced FI

Pass.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: One replaced FI

Kriss Vector

Re: One replaced FI

BayAreaSmogTech
takeiteasy wrote
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
ozzey wrote
We had a Ford F-250 that came in for an inspection with 1 fuel injector replaced, it had a brand new wire clip and wiring. It sat out like a sore thumb, very noticeable. Aftermarket fuel injector requires a EO#.

What do you technicians do to find out if this fuel injector is factory or aftermarket, the right size and correct part for this particular vehicle? It had a purple top instead of the blue top like the rest of the 7 injectors.

We Aborted the test and told the customer to take it somewhere else because we didn't want to Fail the truck improperly and take his money.
Its a fail if they crimped the wiring according to my bar update course instructor.
Care to explain why it would be a fail? Never heard of something needed to be soldered and not crimped or it will fail

All sensors have to be soldered with heatshrink tubing. Not the first time I've heard it and he pointed to something in the manual but I didn't pay attention to be honest. Going to class for 4 hours after working 10-12 hour days, I can barely stay awake.

He also said that any dripping oil leak can be failed for visual smoke test. I'll take his word for it since he's been trained by guys that make these rules.

Re: One replaced FI

Your instructor sounds to me like a crack-pot, BAST.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: One replaced FI

Paranoid are we?

"Fuel Injection
The manufacturer of replacement fuel injection systems determines which of their systems are considered replacements for original equipment. These replacement fuel injection systems are then listed by vehicle year, make, model and engine size in the manufacturer's catalogue. Fuel injection systems not listed as replacement parts require an Executive Order to be legal. Modifications that change a vehicle from fuel injection to carburetion or from carburetion to fuel injection also require an Executive Order to be legal."

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably a duck! But.... check that ducks ass for a EO number! Ha Ha! You guys are cracking me up! See, this is the environment BAR wants, paranoid fail it first, treat it as UC stupid shit. Take some photos, be transparent, use your experience. Anyone ever seen or heard of a single fuel injector failure for being the wrong color?

Charge more cause it sucks to be so paranoid! But try to be happy!

Re: One replaced FI

justa
Banned User

Re: One replaced FI

Johnnybeme
Justa

I never said that treating every car like UC was wrong I just question if it is any way to run a business. When I first started in 1982 it was because I needed to do things the way I thought they should be done. For auto repair it has worked for me but this smog thing I sometimes question the worth. Not being a marketer gives me a different perception also since my service is in addition to a whole bunch of other automotive services. I also have trouble with the UC concept cause I write the order and collect so I have a too close relationship with the consumer. Funny the UC that got me many years ago was a little grey haired lady that worked in the BAR office............................BITCH! Well I think that whatever keeps you safe is right but it is still a shame.

Re: One replaced FI

BayAreaSmogTech wrote
All sensors have to be soldered with heatshrink tubing.
If you see him, ask him if the soldered connections are supported by the solder or the heatshrink.
Charity begins at work

Re: One replaced FI

tampered wrote
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
All sensors have to be soldered with heatshrink tubing.
If you see him, ask him if the soldered connections are supported by the solder or the heatshrink.
... and ask him about smothering the O2 sensor from its reference air by clogging the strands of the signal wire with solder and flux.

barrym95838
EO/EI144107

Re: One replaced FI

BayAreaSmogTech wrote
All sensors have to be soldered with heatshrink tubing. Not the first time I've heard it and he pointed to something in the manual but I didn't pay attention to be honest. Going to class for 4 hours after working 10-12 hour days, I can barely stay awake.
Since you admit you didn't pay attention, and you're writing your comments while extremely tired,  I would ask your instructor if that is what he had indeed stated.   I have never heard of any instructor advocating soldering as the only proper procedure for connecting wires.

He also said that any dripping oil leak can be failed for visual smoke test. I'll take his word for it since he's been trained by guys that make these rules.
Appendix A in the 2013 Smog Check Manual

Smoke from any area other than the vehicle’s tailpipe(s) or crankcase (PCV) system, regardless of the cause, does not constitute a failure of the Visible Smoke Test.

Again, ask your instructor if you understood him correctly.   If he stands by your comments, I would like to know who he is.

Re: One replaced FI

none
I don't know if this picture will show up But a factory Toyota oxygen sensor (Denso) has the connections crimped not soldered.

Re: One replaced FI

BayAreaSmogTech
scanner wrote
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
[...]

You're right maybe I was half asleep and am getting stuff mixed up in my head. I'll question him but I'm not going to give out any names. Its possible that he was saying fail the pcv for valve cover gasket leaks and oil pan leaks and I misunderstood it as failing the smoke test. Then again its technically all part of the crankcase system so any smoke from the engine is a fail.

PCV system

As far as the crimp thing goes, I never use the universal o2s and have always been taught to solder and heat shrink instead of crimp. Seen too many bad crimp jobs. That's why it didn't take much convincing for me to take his word on it. I'll ask him for sources and see what he says.

Re: One replaced FI

none
BayAreaSmogTech wrote
As far as the crimp thing goes, I never use the universal o2s and have always been taught to solder and heat shrink instead of crimp. Seen too many bad crimp jobs. Anyway that's why it didn't take much convincing for me to take his word on it. Again I'll ask him for sources and see what he says.
Just for clarification, That is not a "universal O2". It is a Factory Toyota part that I pulled a pin out of the connector to show that it is crimped without solder.

I personally use solder and shrink tube when I make any electrical repair but I won't fail someone for using the crimp connectors that come with many of these universal O2 sensors and since Bosch invented the 02 sensor (Lambda probe) I think they know what will work when they sell their parts.

Re: One replaced FI

D Rochells 150861
Has anyone here ever failed anything for smoke coming from a place other than tailpipe? I get plenty of PCV fails that are leaking oil that are smokey, and I really don't feel like breathing crankcase vapors trying to decide if some of that is coming from the hole or not.

I wish everyone could discern the difference between oil burn off smell (wax) and open crankcase (smells like oil change).
12