Out Of State

one stop
I had a customer to smog his Hammer. It is registered in Utah. He is here in California studying.
His Utah smog and registration is now due.
Question 1. Can he smog his vehicle in CA and send send smog paper to Utah
Question 2. Do he needs $8.25 certificate or not. Like we do here for military assignments.
I call the Local Bar and they have no clue as usual.
Feed back appreciated.

Re: Out Of State

Mark
The customer needs to Call Utah and see what they wan't.

Far as I know if you move to California you have to change
registration within 10 days anyway.

Re: Out Of State

one stop
Mark

Customer is student at local school. He is not moving to California permanently.

Re: Out Of State

Mark
I would try not to register my car in California if I didn't
have to. It would be cheaper I am sure. But technically
I think they could get them on it. (See below)

But Utah is the one that is asking for the smog. I think
I would call Utah and see what they require.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/car-registration.php

Residency in California applies to anyone who:

Is employed in California.
Claims tax exemptions for a home in California.
Rents or leases a home or apartment.
Applies for state documents (driver's license, voter registration, etc.).
Enrolls themselves or their dependents in any type of school (college, grade school, high school, etc).

http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

Did you know that the State of California loses millions of dollars a year in revenue from California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states or countries?

Did you know that vehicle registration fees are due immediately upon accepting employment or establishing residency in the State of California?

Did you know that California law permits only 20 days to complete the process of registering your vehicle without paying a penalty?

The three most common reasons for not completing the registration process are:

People are unaware of California registration laws.
People are evading payments of registration fees and taxes.
People are unable to comply with air pollution control laws.
Include the following information:

State or province in which vehicle is registered. Mexican plates cannot be investigated without a physical address where the vehicle's owner resides.
Vehicle license number
Date and time the vehicle was observed
Make, model and color of the vehicle
Location where the vehicle was observed (street(s) and city)
Any additional comments and descriptive information

Re: Out Of State

  Smog it and issue a cert.,  I've smogged cars for people that have them registered out of state and the state wants a cert. number.

Re: Out Of State

one stop
323818,

Thanks. Your answer is more helpful and make sense.

Re: Out Of State

323818
  No worries

Re: Out Of State

I've done a lot of smog's with out of state plates, for military NOT SEEKING California
plates AND for non-military civilian people here on a temporary basis.
Utah should accept any smog test without the Cal. Smog Cert.,
like the "military file number". Utah just wants to see a smog test.
So what if they do not change over to Cal. plates!!
That is NOT our problem!!

Re: Out Of State

reactor
Done it many times. Smog it like any other OOS car, issue cert and print 1 extra copy of VIR- they'll mail one to their state and have one left on hand for records.

Re: Out Of State

Mark
I called Utah DMV

http://dmv.utah.gov/contact-us

They told me they have to get an exemption from Utah
on the Safety and smog inspection from Utah and then
they can have the smog done in California and that it needs
a cert because they have to comply with California law.

Salt Lake City Area: (801) 297-7780 (Salt Lake area) -or-
Toll Free: 1-800-DMV-UTAH (800-368-8824)
Telephone Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday