PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

user7112
?

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

Samy
I would ask the owner whats up with the tape and take the tape off front of him. If it is broken I would tamper it.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

I would fail it as defective. I don't even bother to take the tape off.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

user7112
Ah shit i passed it
I unplugged the hose and can hear the vacuum leak but when i plugged it back in there was no vacuum leak so i figured it was doing its job.

2005 Toyota matrix
I shouldn't worry about it to much?

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

No One
I fail anything wrapped in electrical or duct tape

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

ozzey
There is a reason why the tape is there, most of the time the customer is trying to band aid repair the defective part. I would remove the tape to look further if in fact the hose is damaged, dont assume that the hose is bad. We accidentally failed one with electrical tape on it, i felt a crack on the plastic PCV pipe on a expedition, the customer came back with the tape removed and the hose was melted which i thought was a crack but it was still intact.

We have electrical tape and duct tape here at the shop, after removing the tape, if we do see any damages we would point it out to the customer before we tape it back up and FAIL it.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

personally on intakes if its a full wrap jobs i squeeze it its hard plastic you can feel if its cracked all the way around and literally in 2 pieces not intact what so ever ill fail that. But a single slit in the creases with a neat wrap let it go. however pcv valves and vac hoses if they have tape 9/10 times its broken or brittle, Fail. If its cracked at the end just cut that shit off and slide it over.

plastic vapor hoses with a rubber connector where the line broken in half, pass

plastic vapor hoses with tape broken in half fail.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry FACT is you Pass it, Next person doesn't feel the same way, DING. Better safe than sorry.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

user7112
Well shit
Ill take the consequences of it
i really don't want it to be an undercovet

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

Evaponly818
Not to be judging books based off their covers but what kind of person signed the invoice?

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

user7112
Old lady named "merrily"
She had a bumper sticker that said merrily along the way

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

D Rochells 150861
It wasn't an undercover, it is a visual inspection only, no one (not you No One) knows what is under that tape. That is why unless it is actually seeping oil or air I don't care and pass it. I have pulled tape off and found nothing, I have pulled tape off and created a vacuum leak so bad the car started misfiring. So now, I don't worry, just pass it.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

ozzey
I been doing this since early 2000 and I think i do a decent job, my score is higher than average. Before I really didnt care about my score as long as it was .40 or higher, now a days I really want that cushion because my pass may be some other techs fail next inspection. so just to be on the safe side, I try not to let anything slide.

I been working at a new shop for probably about 5-6 months now, before i mostly worked alone running the shops myself. This shop is really busy so there were 3 techs here, now just 2 of us. When a customer would fail for monitors(Not Ready) and come back for their re-stest, the other techs would fail some of my visuals i passed. Not cool! I learned that if i dont fail them, next time the vehicle gets tested, one of these guys or other techs that are less lenient will fail them and my score will suffer.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

StarTech
Don't worry it wont be an undercover. When they send an UC they send something OBVIOUS or something they can clearly prove which can be EASILY backed up in court- not a discretion sort of thing.

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

It's a gray area where you have to use experience and knowledge

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019, 8:12 AM user7112 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
?

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/PCV-valve-and-hose-wrapped-in-tape-A-no-go-tp5076620.html

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

I had one of those a very long time ago that I'm pretty sure was a UC. Hose looked pretty new and was under the cover (no pun) and never saw disinterested customer again.  I was still new and was unhip to checking vehicle history on suspect vehicles.

HAW!  Thinking back to those days, I used to take at least an hour, usually more to do a smog and drove co-workers and owner up the wall!
Charity begins at work

Re: PCV valve and hose wrapped in tape. A no go?

805smogtech
tampered wrote
HAW!  Thinking back to those days, I used to take at least an hour, usually more to do a smog and drove co-workers and owner up the wall!
If you had worked for some of the people i've worked for over the years, you'd probably be looking for a new job pretty quick if one smog takes you over an hour. that's just losing customers, which is losing money.

And if i may ask how do you do an hour smog?? Do you start it, then go to lunch, then come back and finish it later?? Also wondering, taking that long, did you ever get any bad 1 star yelp reviews??

I think even if you went down the list and checked each emission component individually, and manually typed in the VIN and plate, looked up the procedure for checking the timing, checking the egr and running the evap shouldn't take more than maybe 35 minutes. and that's still too slow.  when i started out, some 95 and older stuff took me 30-35 minutes every now and then.  5 years later I can usually get most stuff out in under 20 minutes.