Permanent Trouble Codes

FiendFX
Smogged a Dodge Ram1500 with Pending Codes AND Permanent Trouble codes and it PASSED. I also notice this with other vehicles with Permanent Trouble Codes present and still passes. Why is this?

Re: Permanent Trouble Codes

SmogAce
They will pass after the vehicle has completed 15 cold start ups and has been driven at least 200 miles.

Re: Permanent Trouble Codes

FiendFX
Thank you for this information.

However, if vehicle comes in with PDTCs, how would one verify it is going to pass?

Re: Permanent Trouble Codes

none
FiendFX wrote
However, if vehicle comes in with PDTCs, how would one verify it is going to pass?
plug in and check the data real quick. I use the live data on my cheap code readers but the ESP GEN3 can do it too.

Re: Permanent Trouble Codes

FiendFX wrote
Smogged a Dodge Ram1500 with Pending Codes AND Permanent Trouble codes and it PASSED. I also notice this with other vehicles with Permanent Trouble Codes present and still passes. Why is this?
There are Ram 1500s on the OBD reference guide for PDTC.

Scroll to the bottom and see if that code is on there; https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/OBD_Test_Reference

Re: Permanent Trouble Codes

TheSmogDog
I ran into one of these recently.. PTDC on a prius. The guy had it fixed but the code was still in there. Explained that if the same code is present after 200 miles and 15 drive cycles the system will pass it. He drove it for a month or so, came back with the PTDC still in there and it passed. Ive also had a few vehicles with stored codes but no MIL pass.

Re: Permanent Trouble Codes

I am noticing not all vehicles are falling into the same protocol

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 1:08 PM FiendFX [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Smogged a Dodge Ram1500 with Pending Codes AND Permanent Trouble codes and it PASSED. I also notice this with other vehicles with Permanent Trouble Codes present and still passes. Why is this?

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Permanent-Trouble-Codes-tp5083304.html

Kevin Casillas