Pist at service writer.

fartvalve
Old POS came in with a CEL wanted a smog. Customer requested diag in order to repair vehicle prior to smog.
I get the RO and begin my diagnosis (evap large leak) upon smoking the fuel tank I discover a large leak from the fuel pump seal. Customer did not like the repair price or something because they left. Car comes back a few days later with no CEL wanting a smog check. (incomplete monitors) the service writer reset the CEL instructing the customer to just drive around and come back because evap runs last.

Fuck that! Pissed me off! I told the boss I wouldn't smog it. this is not the correct way a smog test and repair should operate.

Now the service writer is mad at me for not taking care of his customer. To top it off they want to smog in order to sell.

So, f my score huh??
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Pist at service writer.

Johnnybeme
Sorry to hear this, but you are right. Your FPR is dinged because obviously no one wants to really fix the vehicle. Have another tech do the smog and if he fires you take him to the labor board and explain your concerns.

Charge more and be happy!

Re: Pist at service writer.

 Sound like you are 100 right, but 1000% wrong.
 Lack of Education.

 The owner and the writer don't care. Money in hand. When the STAR sore takes hit and there is no STAR score AKA no money in hand.

 Sounds like time to start looking. If you don't want to start looking, it's time for some EDUCATION.
You would have made more by fixing the problem.

 Its' a Million% wrong that the way you feed your family is based on other idiots.

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve
I agree!

Now I understand the service writer wanting to sell a service and make a life long customer.
But doing this type of shit will not fly with me. Hell now. I have my smog, smog repair, brake and lamp, L1  and one test shy of ASE master.

I love working there but this is a straight up f u to myself and my job.

Not cool!
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

thanks for making sense again by leaving more questions then answers. HE diagnosed the problem customer dose not want to fix it. you can refuse if you like it will upset the owner nothing you can do. i doubt anyone will want to take it to court out of their own pocket. BESTA always wants someone other than himself to tackle bar/star program with all his personal issues against them.
OR you can do like my friend did. owner/service writer did something similar thing but when it came back he ran it and specified in the comments NOT ALL MONITORS ARE SET LIGHT MIGHT COME BACK... LOL burn. it was a little extra in my opinion but what can you really do.

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve
The service writer double as the manager so you can bet he was not happy when I said that it did not sit well with me. I'm no kid off the street with a Cracker Jack license wanting a hand out. I have way too much time invested into myself.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve
i understood what besta was saying. He is speaking as a shop owner.
He said I am right for asserting my position and the shop is wrong for not making the money.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve wrote
The service writer double as the manager so you can bet he was not happy when I said that it did not sit well with me. I'm no kid off the street with a Cracker Jack license wanting a hand out. I have way too much time invested into myself.
good keep it up!!! i got tired of my old boss expecting his good customers with clunkers to keep passing with little or no maintenance. i ended up buying him out. your bosses wont admit it but its hard to find an honest tech who know right from wrong. if i had a crooked tech i wouldnt leave him at my shop unsupervised he might just add stealing to his resume and take tools, supplies, MONEY. A good honest tech who know what he is doing is worth alot more in the long run. If your owner dont appreciate you knowing right from wrong save a few checks for an emergency and find a new spot who legit.

Re: Pist at service writer.

i got that part too he started off strong then lost me with education nonsense and taking your boss to the board lol

Re: Pist at service writer.

I don't think BAR would care as long as you entered in the repair section that you diagnosed it and that further repairs were required.

But your service writer is a dumbass, he should have told the customer to tell you someone else fixed it.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Pist at service writer.

 Here comes the long one. One of my so called RANTS.
 YOUR FIRED. Plain out fired. I as a owner hired a manager. He is my say when I am not here. You disobey him, you disobey me.  Real horse shit isn't it. But that is the way it should be. You are gone.

 The Manager is gone. He did not sell the work. He let money go out the door. He should not be clearing codes. He should not be doing anything with the check. He was hired to write and manage, not make fights and not listen to the people I TRUST and Hired. Especially the man what knows his job and has a valid point.
He's still fired.

 Education. Think. Look AHEAD. The man I just fired did. He was educated to the Fact, not the rules but the fact that with in two years in could come back and bit us in the ass. After I fired him I just might hire him back. He was looking out for MY COMPANY. So manager you are still out the door.

 Now manager you want your job back? You listen to the help. The one who is putting MY Company and how he feeds his family on the line.
His way we help keep our STAR score and keep it going. Your way Mr. Manager, and we take the chance of losing our STAR. If the owner of the vehicle is not willing to spend the money to fix it right MY company does not NEED THEM.

 Ever bit of this is BULL SHIT. This should have never happened. BAR should be FIX THEM ALL NO UNSET MONITORS.
They tell you it's OK and then DING you BS

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve
I actually understood everything you posted.
Still. I make decent money right now and according to the Boss I stand to make some more as soon as the appointment for Brake and lamp comes (next month). I know I have a heck of a skill set so I am confident in the areas I work. I do all the smog Diag regardless. I am the only licensed smog repair tech here.
I think losing me would piss off the big boss but if the place of employment becomes uncomfortable then what can I do??

I post my resume on Intuit or monster and I will find a new home within a week. That is, if it ever comes to that.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Pist at service writer.

not a rant.... good  reply your right writer should be let go. usually write is family or owner family friend thats what sucks about working for an independent shop

Re: Pist at service writer.

 Hey you are very valuable. YOU GOT OFF YOUR ASS.

 Take the time to EDUCATE as to why you did what you did. Make it sound like you were looking out for his company.
Don't bad mouth the Manager. You bad mouth him, you are questioning his, the owners judgement.

Re: Pist at service writer.

It seems to me that the shop could be leaving itself open for some liability if this guy sells the car and the light comes on and the new owner finds out that it was the smog station who told him how to get it to pass smog without fixing the issue.

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve
Exactly bear! That's why I want no fricken part of that shat. If they sweet talk the back up smog tech to do it then what can I do other than stand my ground.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Pist at service writer.

Yeah, the service writer sounds like a lost cause, but at least he could be smarter about doing shady stuff.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Pist at service writer.

Karupt
  Where the heck did service writer hear about erasing the light and driving around ? Are you a test and repair ? That service writer just cost your shop about 3-4 hundred $ in repairs for what a 60 dollar smog ?
   I would have waited for the right moment , then the tell the service writer that that is not a correct repair .I just hate when shops do that. I have half the town asking for pre-scan ,I think i will open a shop next door and sell prescans all day .

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve
How did he get that Idea? Great question.

But OIS is the future and I am sure the state knows that all people are honest and no body would ever, ever for one second attempt to flaw this impervious OIS by cheating.

Also 90% of shops know that trick. Even the tweekers around here know it.

This "trick" is the new "disconnect the battery" trick

SMH
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: Pist at service writer.

fartvalve wrote
 the service writer reset the CEL instructing the customer to just drive around and come back because evap runs last.
Fuck that shit! I don't let customers get away with that and I damn sure wouldn't let a service writer/owner/wife, or whatever the hell he thinks he is get away with it.  It's your score you're trying to protect and it's not like they don't have options, they can like it OR they can lump it.  Glad to hear you're looking around!  I'll bet they'll be ill when you have a start date!
If everyone fixed their own cars, my car would be fixed.
12