Post Citation

My Name is Nobody
 What steps and procedures have you or your shop done to prevent another incident from happening again?

Re: Post Citation

none
I'm still trying to figure that out exactly. I made a check off sheet after my shop got a citation a year ago and slow down the flow through the shop. It didn't work. My tech got another one.

Re: Post Citation

Kevin
Slow down, observe,  listen,  and engage brain before your hands,

Re: Post Citation

Here is my check off sheet. I have since added some to it.
http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Inspection-check-list-td5055817.html
It works for me since I often stop in the middle of a test to answer the phone or write up customers.

In a high volume shop I think job burn out is a problem for sure. I pay hourly too as to not promote cutting corners.

I am thinking about hiring another tech and I will over see the techs more and my wife wont have to spend as much time here either.

Re: Post Citation

Re: Post Citation

 My tech got another one.
Need a new tech
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: Post Citation

Re: Post Citation

Lose weight
True.The 1st one was a pcv mod on an accord, what was the 2nd uc?
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: Post Citation

909Wrench
D wrote
Why punish people who are not doing illegal smogs? If you do 10,000 smogs in your career, how is 1 mistake a statistically valid reason for punishment? I believe the tech is doing a good job but his experience is blinding him to unrealistic UC scenarios.
The way the BAR looks at it, if you pass their uc vehicle with an obvious modification, you're probably passing lots of other vehicles that should've failed.  What are the chances of someone testing 10,000 vehicles perfectly and then missing one BAR uc vehicle for a modified PCV system or missing EGR valve?  I think a big problem is job burnout like None mentioned.  Imagine the quality of smog inspections if we knew no one was watching us?  The problem is the severity of the penalty for the first offense.  It needs to be less money and no more than 30 days loss of STAR.

Re: Post Citation

Re: Post Citation

I agree with 909 though. None of these were hidden. If you are doing good checks you would have caught the ones I've seen. I had complete confidence in my tech because he does fail a lot of cars for legitimate tampers and his FPR is good. I still think he can do the job well and I am interested in responses to the original post. "How do I stop it from happening again."

My STAR was to be suspended for 60 days from the first one but I won't bother appealing on this one. I don't really have a leg to stand on. (SCANNER, insert Monty Python clip)

Re: Post Citation

Re: Post Citation

May I?

Re: Post Citation

Jeff
10,000 smogs is nothing.
100,000  and more makes a career.

Re: Post Citation

Lose weight wrote
True.The 1st one was a pcv mod on an accord, what was the 2nd uc?
A hole in the evap canister on a Dakota.

Re: Post Citation

Re: Post Citation

What year? That's a tough one

For newer vehicles, most canisters are hidden under plastic covers near the fuel tank area so "they" wouldn't mess with Evap canisters "back there" right?
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: Post Citation

mikesmobile
Look at the emissions label and put a hand on everything you can. PCV hoses, etc.
Study the label for what should be there and try to put your hand on every component you can.
Mike

Re: Post Citation