Prechecking monitors

OneSmoggyGuy

Do you guys always pre check monitors? I do it whenever the customer says it has been sitting or had work done etc.. But sometimes the evap won't be ready, do you guys always do it anyway?

Re: Prechecking monitors

dcf1ver
I never check unless asked to do so by the customer.

Re: Prechecking monitors

Juicebox
I never check unless I've already failed the car or if the customer tells me they just had work done or asks me to check. And I'm currently at a .90, so it cant have too much of an effect.

Re: Prechecking monitors

OneSmoggyGuy wrote

Do you guys always pre check monitors? I do it whenever the customer says it has been sitting or had work done etc.. But sometimes the evap won't be ready, do you guys always do it anyway?
I check all the time now and make them drive it more if evap is incomplete or have pending codes. My score hit .91(above .60) for the first time since this stupid star program started. Last year my score hit .05 and since then that is what i have been doing diff. But to be honest if im having a slow day or week i might let evap being incomplete slip by. Shop or car sales men get no chances. I require all the monitors to be set and most of the star shops around me do the same.

Re: Prechecking monitors

smog frogposter
We smog the vehicle "as is" which I'm now starting to have doubts smogging as is for 2010 and older. Those PDTC's are going to be an FPR saver.

Re: Prechecking monitors

OneSmoggyGuy
True. Ive already had a decent amount of PDTCs.
Curious about your name though. Smog FrogPoster? Shouldnt it be Frog Smogposter since youre a frog who is posting about smog? Or are you like a smog tech who posts about frogs? Not sure. I like the name though and thanks for the response

Re: Prechecking monitors

Ram Rod
One thing that is not right about the state smog check is that on Bar 97 it will show a fail if more than 1 monitor is not ready in most cases where else on Bar Ois shows not ready.Bar needs to have straighten that out.Either show fail on both equipments.Monitors not ready and pending dtcs shouldnt affect anyones fpr or short term.

Re: Prechecking monitors

smog frogposter
OneSmoggyGuy wrote
True. Ive already had a decent amount of PDTCs.
Curious about your name though. Smog FrogPoster? Shouldnt it be Frog Smogposter since youre a frog who is posting about smog? Or are you like a smog tech who posts about frogs? Not sure. I like the name though and thanks for the response
The name originates from a smug frogposter on an underwater mongolian basket weaving internet forum.

Re: Prechecking monitors

No One
smog frogposter wrote
OneSmoggyGuy wrote
True. Ive already had a decent amount of PDTCs.
Curious about your name though. Smog FrogPoster? Shouldnt it be Frog Smogposter since youre a frog who is posting about smog? Or are you like a smog tech who posts about frogs? Not sure. I like the name though and thanks for the response
underwater mongolian basket weaving internet forum.
go away nazi

Re: Prechecking monitors

manboobs
dcf1ver wrote
I never check unless asked to do so by the customer.
ditto

Re: Prechecking monitors

No One wrote
OneSmoggyGuy wrote

Do you guys always pre check monitors? I do it whenever the customer says it has been sitting or had work done etc.. But sometimes the evap won't be ready, do you guys always do it anyway?
I check all the time now and make them drive it more if evap is incomplete or have pending codes. My score hit .91(above .60) for the first time since this stupid star program started. Last year my score hit .05 and since then that is what i have been doing diff. But to be honest if im having a slow day or week i might let evap being incomplete slip by. Shop or car sales men get no chances. I require all the monitors to be set and most of the star shops around me do the same.
If there is no PDTC, it is no problem. Can you show me where does it say EVAP monitor not complete will affect FPR?

Re: Prechecking monitors

FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
OneSmoggyGuy wrote

Do you guys always pre check monitors? I do it whenever the customer says it has been sitting or had work done etc.. But sometimes the evap won't be ready, do you guys always do it anyway?
I check all the time now and make them drive it more if evap is incomplete or have pending codes. My score hit .91(above .60) for the first time since this stupid star program started. Last year my score hit .05 and since then that is what i have been doing diff. But to be honest if im having a slow day or week i might let evap being incomplete slip by. Shop or car sales men get no chances. I require all the monitors to be set and most of the star shops around me do the same.
If there is no PDTC, it is no problem. Can you show me where does it say EVAP monitor not complete will affect FPR?
Can you show where it says it won't? Get yourself a lawyer to decipher this for you so that you may better understand how evap incomplete may potentially affect fpr score.

To better understand how this performance measure works, consider the following conceptual example. Two-hundred 1995 Ford Mustangs, with 5.0 liter engines, were gross polluting at the start of their previous inspection cycle. Half of these vehicles were tested improperly and certified to get the vehicles to pass without the necessary emissions repairs. The other half were tested properly, failed the inspection, repaired properly, and then certified properly. Vehicles from which of the two populations will pass at a lower rate in their next inspection cycle?

The answer to this question is clear. Unless the improperly tested vehicles received some repairs subsequent to their last inspection, they will continue to be high-polluting vehicles in their current inspection cycle. Some of the vehicles that were properly inspected, repaired, and certified in the previous inspection cycle may fall into disrepair by the time of their next inspection cycle. However, a majority of these repaired vehicles will continue to have comparatively lower emissions levels when inspected in the next inspection cycle. As a result, the vehicles that were properly inspected, repaired, and certified will fail at a much lower rate in their next inspection cycle.

Because the FPR simply compares the Smog Check failure rate in the current inspection cycle of vehicles previously certified by each station and inspector to the failure rate for similar vehicles in the same inspection cycle, a number of different inspection-related behaviors can affect one's FPR score. In short, any behavior that helps a vehicle pass an inspection when the vehicle should otherwise fail the inspection will tend to lower the FPR score of a station and/or inspector

Re: Prechecking monitors

No One wrote
FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
OneSmoggyGuy wrote

[...]

 The 1995 Mustang has nothing to do with what I was asking.

I was asking you where did you cite or get your resource showing that incomplete monitor affects FPR?

This has been asked many years ago. Was also answered by the PR.

I don't prescan any and test as is. Does not affect my score at all. I am also a high volume shop. I know guys next door to me that pre scan and still has low fpr.

If you look at the STAR short term reports on Readiness Max Monitors, it shows "X", therefore, it is not accounted for.

But you can continue to prescan, that is also how you will lose customers that way.

Re: Prechecking monitors

dcf1ver
FiendFX wrote
 The 1993 Mustang has nothing to do with what I was asking.

I was asking you where did you cite or get your resource showing that incomplete monitor affects FPR?

This has been asked many years ago. Was also answered by the PR.

I don't prescan any and test as is. Does not affect my score at all. I am also a high volume shop. I know guys next door to me that pre scan and still has low fpr.

If you look at the STAR short term reports on Readiness Max Monitors, it shows "X", therefore, it is not accounted for.

But you can continue to prescan, that is also how you will lose customers that way.
The Mustang was just an example.

I think his point (and the point of that entire jibberish paragraph) can be summed up in the last sentence:
 In short, any behavior that helps a vehicle pass an inspection when the vehicle should otherwise fail the inspection will tend to lower the FPR score of a station and/or inspector.

I read that as, if you pass a vehicle with out all the monitors set, you may be passing a vehicle that would fail if the evap monitor completed. I think passing a vehicle with out all the monitors set could be construed as "behavior that helps pass a vehicle that would otherwise fail"

I sitll test as is, but I could see the above being an actual thing......

Re: Prechecking monitors

Evil Morty
incomplete evap dont affect your score. what everybody is worried about is if you pass that car and the light comes on later for evap codes and fails its next smog check
This seems like a good time for a drink and a cold, calculated speech with sinister overtones.

I sitll test as is, but I could see the above being an actual thing......
I get business from next door because they prescan and I don't.

Re: Prechecking monitors

FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
OneSmoggyGuy wrote

[...]

consider the following conceptual example-BAR

It absolutely does have to do with what your asking.

There are two FPR-related ways an inspector's performance can affect a station's eligibility for the STAR Program. The first way results from an inspector performing low-quality Smog Check inspections while employed at the Smog Check station. The other FPR-related way an inspector can affect a station's STAR Program eligibility is by the inspector's current FPR scores, which are based on the quality of Smog Check inspections performed by the inspector in the past.-BAR

Short term =/= FPR

https://www.bar.ca.gov/wmv/Star_vignettes/Follow-Up%20Pass%20Rate.wmv

^here is a vid on how to improve FPR. Avoiding code clearing is one of them. Now let me ask you this, Feind. How does the BAR determine code clearing has happened on a vehicle you tested? Because code clearing does affect your fpr, but evap being set to not ready does not? Testing with evap incomplete can and is most likely considered a low quality inspection which will affect fpr.

Short term measure is not the same as fpr, so please show me where it says evap not ready wont affect fpr. And just because one PR said it, it does not make it written in stone.

Re: Prechecking monitors

FiendFX
No One wrote
FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
OneSmoggyGuy wrote

[...]

If it really is suppose to affect FPR... it ain't affecting mines.

But if you like to pre scan, go for it. I am not sure how long have you been on this website. But this has been discussed before. Smog-as-is.

Re: Prechecking monitors

No One
FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
FiendFX wrote
No One wrote
OneSmoggyGuy wrote

[...]

i lurked here back when besta was justa. Ive seen all the post and misconceptions and even heard the stupid theories in person from ppl about how star works. The knowledge/information im giving here was explained to me by my lawyer.

"You performing a low quality smog test will affect your score not only if the cars fails once after you smog tested it, but it continues to affect you if the car continues to fail thereafter until is passes. Then it becomes the next guys problem."-My lawyer

Someone one once said to me on this forum after I hated on the star program that the star program worked and got rid of most bad techs. You're a good tech, feind. You dont preform low quality smogs so you never worry about as besta best puts it "what the next guy will do."