Price Increase For 2018

xcinlb
Anyone planning on increasing prices for 2018? Our rent keeps going up and new machine lease, are just eating away at profits. We average about $68 for everything  tested, trucks, box trucks, motorhomes cars etc

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Re: Price Increase For 2018

xcinlb
So None, you still waiting until April? I'm going to pull the trigger. Probably, only about $2 for newer cars, but motorhomes and old vans will go up quite a bit more. All across the board, older cars will go up.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

SoCalSmogGuy
I am increasing the price of all inspections by $5 across the board.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Price Increase For 2018

I'm still going to wait until April because I have posted a sign on the office wall in September showing what the new prices will be and when they will go up.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Best Answer I Can Give
 Do you really need to raise your price, or raise your service level.
With as many cheap bastards that is around doing low price checks with ZERO service, would you not just be ahead by being better than them.

 Raise your price they may go to El Cheapo. Raise your service, they will tell a friend.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Raise your price they may go to El Cheapo. Raise your service, they will tell a friend.
If I don't raise my prices I will be "EL CHEAPO". I will raise my prices and my service level.

I don't want to work for free and take all these risks and pay for two new machines.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Best Answer I Can Give
 In talking to you I know your price. You are El Cheapo. Why you are that? I DON'T KNOW. You seem to have it together.

 You can do 2 to 1. Two OIS to 1 ASM. I would rather do more cars. Say 5 a day than to do 2 more at $5 more. The math just doesn't work.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

He also seems like a decent person. I see shops undercharge and I see shops gouge. It's hard when you have a lot of repeat customers who have been paying the same price for years.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

BEASTA, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying exactly. I have good customer relations, referrals, and reviews.

I don't have the cheapest price in my area but I am in line with most shops on my OIS price and higher than many for the older stuff but I don't want to do that anyway. I don't think I could do two OIS in the time it takes to do one 1996-99 because I also figure the time it takes to write up and cash out a customer into the total time a smog check takes.

I am pretty busy right now and really don't want to do any more cars in a day. I would rather make near as much money with less work.

BTW; my 1985 and older price for cars and trucks will be $84.75 + cert. What is yours?

TOM (EL CHEAPO)

Re: Price Increase For 2018

... I don't think I could do two OIS in the time it takes to do one 1996-99 because I also figure the time it takes to write up and cash out a customer into the total time a smog check takes.
Yeah, and checking tire pressures and looking up EO numbers takes the same amount of time for either.  I can't get a break from these A.M. cats ... it's an epidemic around here, even with the OIS vehicles.

I am pretty busy right now and really don't want to do any more cars in a day. I would rather make near as much money with less work.
I'm interested in your ability to be a "T&R" without much "R".  I suggested to my boss that identifying turds could be a lot more profitable than trying to polish them, and that he should consider raising the smog repair labor rate and lowering the inspection price, but I don't think that he agrees with my analysis.  He just starts a work order for pretty much anything and everything that shows up, no matter what.  And the shit inevitably starts to pile up faster than I can shovel it until something or someone snaps or some form of half-assery ensues.

BTW; my 1985 and older price for cars and trucks will be $84.75 + cert. What is yours?
How is testing a typical '86 any more efficient than testing a typical '85?  The two natural model year pricing borders should be 95/96 and 99/00, right?  And the natural vehicle type borders would be car/truck, light-duty/heavy-duty, engine-cover/no-engine-cover and Astro-Aerostar-Previa-Motorhome/other.  BAR insists on periodically asking us for ASM vs. TSI testing price, which seems like a retarded question, since we test as received, and I don't know until after the estimate is allegedly completed and signed whether or not some vehicles are going to be ASM or TSI.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

That's why I always put Zero for both. Our board says nothing about ASM, TSI or OIS. And it does not say anything in the laws and regulations that we must furnish pricing to them during the inspection. Or maybe it does and I am going to get accused of fraud again?

There should be a labor rate book for this crap, why is smog the retarded red headed step child of the industry that gets to muck everything up? We are not required to post hourly labor rates UNLESS we do smog, WTF? Previa et al need tear down estimates as we are actually removing things and the customer needs to be aware shit can go wrong and it might not reassemble back into the original POS it was without more time and NLA parts.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

We'll be rising our price slightly for Bar 97 & OIS. New police chief in town stepping up code enforcement and made my competitor across the street remove his 19.99 smog sign from the center median of the street. Whoo!

Re: Price Increase For 2018

barrym95838 wrote
...How is testing a typical '86 any more efficient than testing a typical '85?  The two natural model year pricing borders should be 95/96 and 99/00, right?  And the natural vehicle type borders would be car/truck, light-duty/heavy-duty, engine-cover/no-engine-cover and Astro-Aerostar-Previa-Motorhome/other...

I have to make a line somewhere so I chose 1985 though I have thought about making it 1989. The older cars are more time consuming for me to test  because they almost all have adjustable timing and most domestics still have carburetors and almost every smog device known to man hanging on them. I see old trucks, Jeeps, Porsches, and MBZ SLs in this range. It is almost always the "extra" car.

I don't think it would be right to charge a guy with a 1994 BMW 325I the same as a guy with a 1982 El Camino that get an evap test, timing test, and functional EGR test plus sorting through vacuum hoses.

I charge more for vans even if the cover is removed and I charge $40 to remove the cover. I don't do motorhomes or box vans.

Even with all this, you know, I need to change how I do things.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Ois $99.95

EIS 149.95

Min labor rate: EO Documentation and verification. $40.00

This whole program has never been on it's face worth it. It has always been because of the advantage taken on the technicians and the stupidity of the business model. Just what is too much? We are going to find out as they take away the program.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Johnnybeme wrote
Ois $99.95

EIS 149.95

Min labor rate: EO Documentation and verification. $40.00
Based on rough guestimates, it appears that you value your labor at approximately $300/hour.  I'm not saying that you're not worth it, but still ... that's in the same ballpark with lawyers and brain surgeons.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

I've had people assume that was the illegal smog price when the estimate came out above $100.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Oh contrar , a lawyer get's his rate for what? The training and knowledge from education and experience. Why do you discount ours? We are not hourly workers, we are emissions experts operating the state run program. We are subject to many laws that consumers are not. We have updates and law refresh continually that we have sole responsibility for. We are mandated to be a consumer advocate while we are judged by a consumer agency administering anything but a consumer friendly program. Wake the fuck up! This is not a cooling system service or a front wheel alignment. It is different. It has responsibility that deserves monetary enrichment. The hourly rate has nothing to do with the service, it never has. It has become a relationship that deserves more than the cut each other throats rates we have caused to render us powerless.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Best Answer I Can Give
 Jm you are so correct it's fucking SCARY.
Use the test as a loss leader? What a fucking IDIOT. A machine that you paid some good money for. Fines up the ass if you do it wrong. A agency that think every vehicle you have ever done, you have done WRONG. Update classes that DON'T. But you do every two years. Have your heart race every time the Mail Person stops in front of your place. Have the BAR tell you to give back the money when you have done nothing WRONG
               YET YOU ARE WILLING TO BEND OVER. TAKE IT UP THE ASS FOR LESS THAN 20 BUCKS?
                                  WHAT TYPE OF FUCKING IDIOT ARE YOU?

 The real problem starts with the law makers at the top.
 On paper it looks like a real simple thing to do. Reality with what the vehicle makers did to make it so we the outside guy want to do can't.

 Look at the Comp Monitor thing. Monitor all the emission Components. In simple terms it means, All thing that help make the vehicle clean, should be monitor. They cannot be taken off. If they go bad it KNOWS. But you and I and the BAR KNOW that is not the way it is.

If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: Price Increase For 2018

Johnnybeme wrote
Ois $99.95

EIS 149.95

Oh contrar , a lawyer get's his rate for what? The training and knowledge from education and experience. Why do you discount ours?

JM
How do you differentiate yourself from a Smog check Inspector with the same EO license?

Coincidentally, $95 what I charge to diagnose an single code OBDII failure (circuit or component).   I charge $142.50 to diagnose a single OBDII problem that involves a conditional failure (P0171, P0455, etc.).