Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

Newbiesmogtech
Lady comes in for a smog check and i oblige. I check the History as shown here and it was passed 2 years ago

The car passes pretty clean. This is what was printed out though

Now i am pretty angry as i have no idea how the hell this happened. The customer is angry cause she needs to take her car to the ref my question is what the hell happened? The EiS didn't show me it was failed because of a stupid no communication with ViD prompt that pops up like 80% of the time. What is my next step here cause this is pretty stupid.

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

Newbiesmogtech
Even worst this probably isn't good for my score...

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

justa
Banned User

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

FRUSTRATED
WTF??  Did you call the BAR?  How is this even possible when it passed all the phases of the test?  A memo would have been nice by the dumbasses at BAR warning us that some vehicles may pass the smog test but at their "discretion" be deemed gross polluters (this shit sounds kind of like how they do our STAR numbers for FPR too).  Try this, sorry Mr. Customer, the monkeys at BAR drew out a lottery ball which unfortunately matches your vehicle description so even though you passed the test which was run according to their guidelines, you are still gross polluter, they know so because they identified your vehicle as such, and they are sure of it, just ask them.  Ask for Hien Tran.

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

Newbiesmogtech
I HOPE SO

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

The test was performed offline. Anytime your EIS doesnt connect to the VID, this will happen. Just retry again and it should work.

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

What you guys are missing is that the vehicle failed/"gross polluted" emissions Feb. 25, 2012
and Jan. 2, 2010. That is why the previous VIR state: "This vehicle has been identified as a Gross
Polluter by the VID".
It does NOT mean is has to go to the Referee.

BTW, I can see the HC numbers are close to failing.

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

Centralized Smog
I had that happen a few months ago. Did the smog a second time and made sure it was connected to the VID and certificate was issued.

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

justa
Banned User

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

deviationmaster
Can't blame BAR for this...some techs are still in the learning process, I'm glad this site is more than just stop the star program.

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

If you read the paper work, the vehicle can go to a test only, the vehicle was suspose to go to a test only/ non a star station. This is why you don't do cars off line if you are not a star station.

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

Newbiesmogtech
Yeah i'm still learning the ropes. The more you know!

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

Kriss Vector

Re: Problem with a 1999 mitsubishi montero

909Wrench
This was discussed before.  If a car previously GP's, the certification test needs to communicate with the VID so it can determine if the station is STAR certified or not.  It normally happens when the same station that GP'd the car tries to retest it without no communication. That's how the system is supposedly programmed and that's what happened to a few of us previously.