Question about CARB stickers

planters
This post was updated on .
Is there a reason why the EO number isn't just simply stamped onto aftermarket  intake like they are on cats? It's kind of ridiculous to expect the people who buy these intakes to know about the CARB sticker requirement and place the sticker on the vehicle. They almost never do. They just toss it out with the box or lose it.  It would save us  a lot of time and headache having to explain to people why their car failed while potentially creating an upset customer, have them request a sticker from the company, and then come back for a retest. What a dumb waste of time. All that nonsense would be avoided by simply stamping the EO number on the intake. Duh.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

none
I think the manufacturers are to blame for that. Headers usually have the number on them.

The mentality of most people who put cold air intakes on is usually the kind who think instructions are for idiots so they miss the part in the instructions about putting on the label. If they get upset I figure they are the ones who put the crappy parts on their car anyway.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

planters
You would think these companies would be smart about it by stamping the number or at least placing the sticker on the intake at the factory before selling it. It would save them a lot of time having to constantly process requests for sticker replacement  with cars always failing smog for missing stickers.

They're not even making any money sending out replacement stickers because they always do it for free. They cant be that dumb.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

none
It only matters to the customers in California though.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

planters wrote
 It would save us  a lot of time and headache having to explain to people why their car failed while potentially creating an upset customer, have them request a sticker from the company, and then come back for a retest.
You aren't failing cars because they don't have a sticker, right?
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

dcf1ver
tampered wrote
planters wrote
 It would save us  a lot of time and headache having to explain to people why their car failed while potentially creating an upset customer, have them request a sticker from the company, and then come back for a retest.
You aren't failing cars because they don't have a sticker, right?
How do you tell one intake from another?

Id fail for no sticker.....

Re: Question about CARB stickers

 Follow the money. Only a small part of the money comes from California. It takes TIME and MONEY to do what you want. It's always about the money.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

From sec 1.3.2 scm

Note: A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure.  In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the inspector may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

dcf1ver
tampered wrote
From sec 1.3.2 scm

Note: A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure.  In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the inspector may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.
My question was how do you tell the difference between an approved intake and an Ebay intake? They rarely(if ever) have identifying marks.

Id fail for no sticker.......

I use "GOOGLE IMAGES". I can usually tell AEM, AFE, BANKS, and K&N.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

planters
dcf1ver wrote
tampered wrote
From sec 1.3.2 scm

Note: A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure.  In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the inspector may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.
My question was how do you tell the difference between an approved intake and an Ebay intake? They rarely(if ever) have identifying marks.

Id fail for no sticker.......

LOL I have never seen an intake with the part number on it.
The people who write the manuals don't seem to live in the real world.

So if the companies would just stamp the part number on the intake they wouldn't have to worry about missing CARB stickers.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

Able
This makes a lot of sense.

Id fail for no sticker.......
If the intake is a brand name, then you can look it up and compare. Failed a Cadillac CTS with a K and N filter on it not to long ago. K and N doesn't have a cold air intake for that car, But if the website showed me what ever filters it had and with eo numbers I would have passed. No name intakes get a fail since I cant verify.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

dcf1ver wrote
My question was how do you tell the difference between an approved intake and an Ebay intake? They rarely(if ever) have identifying marks.
This is where I'm unclear.  What if there's a sticker and nothing else? Match the number and pass?  I'll punt these unless I can match it to a picture on the mfg. website.
.
I still won't fail for no sticker, I only fail if I can show the customer that its unapproved otherwise punt. They usually come back with a stock or stickered POS k&n. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just the way I roll.  I'm obviously not an owner!

EDIT: CARB and K&N are butt buddies.
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

Best Answer I Can Give
  I have yet to figure out how taking air out of a HOT engine compartment is called a "Cold Air Intake"
As far as K&N being butt buddy's with CARB, Why not, Look how much money they have put in CARB's coffers.

Re: Question about CARB stickers

smoggee
Agree with the whole 'cold-air intake" BS, but I'm curious how much money you know of that K&N has paid to CARB???
Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence

Re: Question about CARB stickers

Best Answer I Can Give
 I know at Maguson Super chargers, because they are down the street, plus my youngest worked for Vortec, $5000 per EO#

\

I would be happy if I could understand what the point of having a sticker with an EO # and the CARB online reference to verify that the number is compatible with the vehicle.  What is the point of that if the device has no part number?

 It's no different than having the device have an EO and a part number, and the car has no visible features or VIN, just  sticker that says 20O5 Tacoma 4.0L

Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: \

No One
Does a cold air intake even alter emissions?

Re: \

none
It is my understanding that the stock air box is part of the evap system holding HC vapors. That is why they are not CARB EO#s are not required on diesels.

Most newer cars have HC absorbing panels in the air box.