Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

BlueSky
There is 1 canister.  There is only 1 line which goes directly to the fuel tank.  To me this can not function properly.  How does it suck the vapors to burn off.  My vapor diagram shows 2 ports coming off canister but like I said there is only 1.  Customer has owned this for 14 years and it has always passed.  Anyone have any info.  Thanks

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

D Rochells 150861
There are always 2 lines, one should go to the purge solenoid and then to the engine.

זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

BlueSky
Thanks D
This is a picture of the canister in the Bronco.  Only 1 port and the hose goes directly to the fuel tank, no "Y" connector, no solenoid, nothing to throttle body.

This is Alldata's Vac Diag that shows 2 ports, 1 to tank, 1 to throttle body but still no solenoid.

Customer tells me he is a mechanic and there is nothing wrong with this setup, that it's passed that way for 14 years.
I told him to go to the ref if he oks it then I will retest for free.

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

D Rochells 150861
Is it 2 fuel tanks? That looks like the secondary canister on a twin can setup. Fed might not have the purge solenoid? Wait for Barry, he sees this junk more often. And was the hose at the throttle body capped off?
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

I think you did good, and you have the diagram to support your conclusion.  Some Ford canisters had only one port, because the purge line teed into the vapor line farther up (some Econolines and Taurii, I believe).  This canister very likely is not original, and I'm convinced that any tech with some attention to detail will agree with your fail.

BTW, about 75% of all male customers in my neighborhood are "mechanics".  That helps explain why my boss has hired and fired at least 25 over the last 16 years ... they grow on trees around here.

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

BlueSky
D wrote
Is it 2 fuel tanks? That looks like the secondary canister on a twin can setup. Fed might not have the purge solenoid? Wait for Barry, he sees this junk more often. And was the hose at the throttle body capped off?
The throttle body port had another vacuum hose coming off of it that teed and went to 2 different vacuum canisters.  These vacuum hoses and tee were not OEM.  You could tell the hoses and tee were recently replaced, no grease or dust.  I told the customer the canister looked like it was part of a dual canister setup.

There was no tee in the line.  Also couldn't find any loose wire connections.
My son has and 88 Bronco.  I'll see if he can take a picture of his canister and maybe the underhood decal if it's still there.

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

Best Answer I Can Give
This one example among MANY others on this site tells you that the STAR program is B.S.

 To me it's a pass. To a new guy trying to either get a score or afraid of loosing STAR it's a FAIL.

 One persons Fail is another ones PASS.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

How could that system work the way its set up? There is no way for it to purge off fuel vapors.

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

Best Answer I Can Give
 None, you ever looked at a Taurus? Same thing. Several Fords same thing. T and only one line coming out of the canister.
One line goes to the tank. One goes to the purge solenoid.

 Don't ask me I was not the one that approved it. I have seen many like that.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

None, you ever looked at a Taurus? Same thing. Several Fords same thing. T and only one line coming out of the canister.
One line goes to the tank. One goes to the purge solenoid.
Yeah, we've all seen that, but...............

BlueSky wrote
There was no tee in the line.
There's no purge line, it's a fail.

Ok None you made my point. My pass your fail. WHO's right?
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

Ok None you made my point. My pass your fail. WHO's right?
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I know it will come out that way.

This is why the repair techs call it a fail and TEST ONLY guys say it looks stock so it should pass. I don't doubt that it has passed for many years like this but this truck will never purge off the fuel vapors.

I have seen many Tauruses with the TEE in the line but we are talking about a Bronco here. I have not seen a Bronco or F150 with a Tee in the vent line to purge.

I agree with D that it looks like the first canister is missing out of a two canister set up.

Re: Question about Fuel Evap Canister 1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.0l

Best Answer I Can Give
 Hell None, you are one of the best guys to argue with. No disrespect would ever be put out or taken.

 This site points out how much a FUCK UP STAR IS. Take a brand new guy. Does he KNOW? HELL NO. An old guy. Do I KNOW? I Think so. WHO's RIGHT?.
I missed that it was not T ed but I have seen a TON more like that.
Now 1 canister or two? The pictures are shit, one book to another.

 Who The F knows. All I know was a Canister was there. No open lines. From the picture one went to the tank, the other to the engine. So I say pass.
One guy wanting to keep a STAR score just fucked another guys score, on what may be right or wrong.
AND THAT IS NOT RIGHT.

 Right or wrong Pass or Fail. It's not right to hold another person responsible for what someone else may or may not think is right.
This site points this out almost DAILY.

 As far as purging off vapors. Now that's a fucking joke. You KNOW the cap and system is tight. It blows off in your hand, yet you must do a EVAP Test and blow more shit in the air.
How about we test Purge Valves?
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.