Question about undercover vehicles

timmy
On an undercover car, is it typical to have just one tamper like a missing egr or pcv valve or can there be multiple like missing  cat and egr. I had one yesterday and was dead set on the missing part that I might have over looked another. I was thinking "this is an undercover car and I'm gonna fail you for this missing part!"

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

Voltron
In my experience they have just one thing, but dont under estimate the BAR. They're also known to send vehicles with no problems if they get alot of complaints you fail cars for no reason or find you have the undercover list

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

kfworry
I read Legal Case Argument where a smog tech failed an UC that had ZERO defects and the
BAR busted him "for failing" the car. The defense attorneys argument was accepted by the
Administrative Law Judge and case was dismissed. It was in regards to a PCV hose that appeared
to be defective "in the eyes of the technician". It was a "subjective" call. Apparently the BAR
had received a lot of complaints about visual failures. So the BAR Gods decided to "change their
tactics" and send in a clean vehicle. The BAR Gods would rather us fail a questionable car then pass it.

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

none
He may have had a lot of complaints but I hadn't heard of any from customers. He did run a web site that kept a list of known undercover cars. They Busted him for "smogging off a list". I heard that was overturned BUT his shop is no longer in business.

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

TIMMY, I think they just have one tamper per car and even if it had two and you only failed it for one you are still OK since you failed it.

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

On the very first day we got our STAR, there was a conspicuously clean Red '85 S-10 Blazer that came in with a serpentine belt running everything except the air pump.  I tried to turn the air pump by hand, and it was seized, so I entered "Fail" instead of "Tamper", in part because I could consider this a "temporary" condition to get it back on the road until a new pump could be installed, and in part because I'm aware that GPs and Tamper fails don't flash up on the following inspection, but other types of fails do (at least on my ESP Gen 1).

I wasn't positive that it was a UC, but I figured that if it was, I kinda wanted to slow the UC crew down a little by making them call in and remove my fail before moving on to the next UC victim, so it wouldn't flash on his or her screen.  It was a ballsy move, because I later confirmed that it DEFINITELY WAS a UC, but I received no reprimand of any kind, probably because I didn't certify it.

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

Decker

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

Troll
usually its a couple in a day.
but they do come back to the area after it "cools down"

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

Best Answer I Can Give
 Funny, reading this, there is a major difference between No Cal and So Cal, BAR offices doing the UC.

 In So Cal. the part is MISSING. The timing is clean, out in the open, pointer and where it should be and where it is is marked in white.
The EGR valve is plated, BB in the hose, a hole in the valve.

 No way in hell you can just pass it by doing something small. The timing thing, yes you can adjust it, but you better write it down. If you are TO and you adjust it your screwed.

 The EGR valve on the Astro was GONE. The PVC hose valve cover to air cleaner was gone and plugged. The Breather on the Ranger was made so you just could not put the proper oil cap back on.

 The guy in SO Cal. makes sure, and makes sure you can't say "I fixed it"

 The hits in a area depends how far away they are from home. If it takes some time to get to a area they will hit that area that day.
That's why I believe a shop that is 100 miles away will not see the UC as much as the shops that are close to a BAR office.
 If you knew all the rules of the UC you would understand. The UC vehicle must be kept and signed for every time it changes hands.
At night it must be kept on State property. Go by your DMV. There will be a fenced in area. That's where they keep State owned cars at night.

 Now to answer your question.
How much does it cost to do a UC? Why would they give you more than one chance to find the defect?
The BAR gets a shop on a UC, that' nothing but another feather in there cap. Another, hey look at how well we are doing our job, you need us.
In all the years I have been doing this, one defect and one defect only on a UC.

 When you ask these type of question you must remember one thing. If you issue a Cert. on a vehicle that should not have gotten one, your dead.
Diesel on a BAR 97 issue Cert= pay the fine. Cert a UC pay the fine.

 As long as you never issue a Cert on a vehicle it will not cost you a fine. The BAR may pay you a visit. Fine you NO.

 If you fail the vehicle for one thing, or 100 things, it doesn't matter you did not issue a Cert. You are safe.
That's how the guy got away with failing the cat the BAR said should have passed. There was nothing wrong with the vehicle say's the BAR. He felt the hose was defective, he did not issue a Cert. he did not pay a fine.

Re: Question about undercover vehicles

FiendFX
Good tip justa.