Question on small RV...

Citation Addict
You know those little Toyota campers half toyota pickup and half camper. They are dyno testable, the trouble I had was the AC did not clear my bay door. Not wanting to distroy a AC unit on RV. I made a judgement call to perform a TSI test. "Vehicle does not fit" It GPed on HC emissions at 2500 RPM. Did I make the right call to TSI it?

1986 EZ Ryder Toyota Camper 2.4l automatic California Certified. If it GPed on a TSI I can only imagin how disgusting it would have been under a load. It had the original catalyst, but only 77k miles on it. It had a slight miss during the 2500 RPM test. Ive advised the customer to have it checked out.

Re: Question on small RV...

Accused
wrong call.  Untestable means it will not physically fit on the dyne.  The restrictions of your building do not apply.  This exact scenario is covered in the book.

Re: Question on small RV...

Citation Addict
Figures...

Re: Question on small RV...

Failit
The problem now is 'how will this affect the next tech who test the car'.
Your score will already be affected due to the fact that everyone before you dyno tested the car. probably the next person will preform a TSI because of the VIR but 2 years down the line that tech will most likely do a dyno test.
Now what? how many techs will fuck up their score testing this simple car

Re: Question on small RV...

just another shop owner
Give us rules pure and simple rules.

 Your right it does not say will not fit in building.

 If it does not or cannot fit the rule  1 800 622 7733

Re: Question on small RV...

fog check
probley just a valve ajust and it will be just fine

Re: Question on small RV...

kilativ
It is not an excuse, "that will not fit in the shop". You should have refuse the test, and send it to other station. You may have a visit from BAR very soon regarding that matter. I had same situation before. First time it was verbal warning, so no second time for me. I just send them away.

Re: Question on small RV...

kilativ
Failit wrote
The problem now is 'how will this affect the next tech who test the car'.
Your score will already be affected due to the fact that everyone before you dyno tested the car. probably the next person will preform a TSI because of the VIR but 2 years down the line that tech will most likely do a dyno test.
Now what? how many techs will fuck up their score testing this simple car
It will not affect next tech who will test it correctly in ASM mode, as it should be. Unless the next tech will pass it now, and it will fail after 2 years. His FPR will be affected.

Re: Question on small RV...

Banned
I'd be very surprised if this ever came back to haunt you. Motorhomes are in a class of their
own, just like kit cars. I had a couple of similar situations over the years, including one Mitsubishi
car where the traction control disengage button didn't work. I just entered it as it was, non
disengagable, which is what it really was. I tested in TSI mode, and never heard a thing back.

Re: Question on small RV...

Reactor
True story: Old Aerostar (4WD- didn't see that).  Dyno tested it by chocking the front wheels. Failed, someone else fixed it, pretested (still on the dyno), then i tested it and passed it. The tranny was kinda smoking but it passed to the owners delight. Was about 10 years ago.

Re: Question on small RV...

careful
try lifting it w a hydralic jack, like we did. it requires mastery of the throttle and nerves since the back wheels are off the ground spinning while you carefully control the front wheels. oh the memories. also used to diagnose a front end vibration maybe even a monitor run hmm...

Re: Question on small RV...

Citation Addict
Like I said it was a judgement call. In another perspective, if this thing were loaded it would weigh over 10000 lbs in which it would have to be TSI. i treated it like a RV. Its all Im saying. Yes I do agree, should have rejected it. It would have failed anyway.

Re: Question on small RV...

Reactor wrote
True story: Old Aerostar (4WD- didn't see that).  Dyno tested it by chocking the front wheels. Failed, someone else fixed it, pretested (still on the dyno), then i tested it and passed it. The tranny was kinda smoking but it passed to the owners delight. Was about 10 years ago.
You guys are scaring me.

What f**ked up sequence of events led you down the path to that messed-up, dangerous situation?

And I thought that I was a seasoned veteran, with my ASM 2525 tire blowouts, carpet fires, and exploding radiators!

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Question on small RV...

Citation Addict
Hey Banned-

Watch out on some of the newer Honda vans, if the TPSM lamp is on, the traction control will not turn off. A Honda tech taught me that. Dont mistake it for a TSI. Ive been there to with some of these cars as well. Its a no brainer to me now to make them fix it. I always make dead sure the traction control is actually off by rolling up to 20mph, just because the light says its off doesn't mean it is.

Re: Question on small RV...

Citation Addict
Hey barry just wait until you have a roller bearing grenade and break the snout on the roller with a car on the dyno.

Re: Question on small RV...

Failit wrote
The problem now is 'how will this affect the next tech who test the car'.
Now what? how many techs will fuck up their score testing this simple car
Failit,

It's just a fact of life that there are vehicles out there that are pure-and-simple FuPR killers.  Any tech associated with these vehicles is basically taking a bite of the shit sandwich, and no amount of maintenance, proper repairs or proper inspection procedures will change that.  There are thousands of FuPR killers like this driving around out there; all you can do is pray that you don't pass too many of them, legitimately or otherwise.

Take care,

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Question on small RV...

Banned
True story: Old Aerostar (4WD- didn't see that).  Dyno tested it by chocking the front wheels.

I don't know how, with all the drag you should have had, you didn't consider the possibility that
it was an all wheel drive. There are some oddballs out there. One time, and only once, I tested
an early 90s, (91 or 92 I think,) all wheel drive Toyota Corolla. I didn't know there was such a
thing, but did use the TSI mode. There are some things, that come only with big time experience.
The way the debacle is set up, I guess the BAR doesn't really care about this experience factor.

Re: Question on small RV...

smalll motorhomes 8501 pounds and over do not go on the dyne . its in the book somewhere . so you made the right call if it weighed 10000pounds .

Re: Question on small RV...

SDBigdogg88
Anything that is classified as a motorhome, regardless of the GVWR, does not have to go on the dyno as per the current emissions manual.

Re: Question on small RV...

SDBigdogg88 wrote
Anything that is classified as a motorhome, regardless of the GVWR, does not have to go on the dyno as per the current emissions manual.
Hey, BigDogg

Please be careful!  My interpretation of SCIP 1.2.1 is that TSI only directly applies to motorhomes classified as "heavy-duty", which is 8501 GVWR and up since 1978.  I have dynoed several of those "Chinook"-style beasts over the years, and a few of them even passed!

If the GVWR is 8501 or higher, or the drive axle weight is above 5000 lbs., then I agree that your advice applies.

Take care,

barrym95838
EO144107
12