Referee Passes Your Fail

blanksauce
So just a random question of the day... what happens when you fail a car and the referee passes it. But then in two years they come to get it smogged again but don't have the referee paper?

Do you think the ref tells the customer to hang onto that paper forever?
Would you guys pass a questionable car if the ref passed it? How would you know? Would you go off the smog history?
I'm going back to school

Re: Referee Passes Your Fail

ThePharmacist
You're putting too much thought into this. Just test it as is pass or fail with or without ref paperwork. You're not the customers parent they should know to keep the paperwork

Re: Referee Passes Your Fail

Kriss Vector

Re: Referee Passes Your Fail

Kriss Vector wrote
... Had an old truck come to me that had an aftermarket fuel filler neck that the EVAP adapters would not fit, the customer had a copy of the referee bypassing the EVAP test so I did as well.
An old lady cussed me out like a sailor for a similar dilemma.  I don't give a damn what the "ref sez" ... unless he puts it in writing and permanently attaches it to the vehicle.

Re: Referee Passes Your Fail

I had a customer's Honda fail for missing EGR on a 1.5L (don't remember the year). After I was done he pulls out a invoice from the REF that said to use D15?? as a D16??. I guess it was a JDM engine. The 1.6L did not require an EGR but there was no BAR label on it. I redid it no charge but I should have charged the guy for being an idiot.

I had a Dodge Ram that had the wrong cat but the ref put a label in the door jam saying that cat was OK but the customer didn't mention he had to jump through these hoops last time and apparently thought I would remember his truck from two years ago. I was about to fail it again when I saw the BAR label but I never entered the BAR label number since I was well past that point. I guess I'll have to commit that POS to memory for next time.

Re: Referee Passes Your Fail

... and apparently thought I would remember his truck from two years ago ...
I only inspect about 2500 vehicles a year, and I have the same problem.  I guess everyone likes to think that their POS is memorable, but only about a dozen or so are permanently etched in my brain.

Re: Referee Passes Your Fail

ThePharmacist
Another thing to remember is that the Ref is just another opinion so you don't have to listen to him you just might lose the customer. It's either your FuPr or his and besides the Ref does make mistakes just like us

Re: Referee Passes Your Fail

Smogtech
Do regular smog for it.  If it failed, emission, customer needed to get it fix, failed for mod tell customer get it to compl or send back to the ref.