Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

No One
Been getting a lot of customers coming in from other shops refusing to smog their cars because the under the hood label is missing. What are you guys doing when they are missing? I'm still testing them and recommending to customers to get them because its only a matter of time before BAR gods decide to make a fail mandatory or they start fucking with our star scores for missing labels.

Re: Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

SeanLoch
Im just noting on the OIS at end of inspection that its missing, ET help desk agreed on that entry. And YES i agree its only a matter of time before BAR enforces failing the vehicles because the label is missing, and its more money in your pocket having stations not performing inspections on those vehicles. I would be on the look out also for front end damage indicating the hood has been changed and the label therefore will be more than likely incorrect for the vehicle being tested. I would hope that after a few years the prompt wont come up for a vehicle thats already in the database that has the EFN matched to the VIN, but that will probably never happen.

Re: Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

I've never worried about a missing label. I guess more money for you.

Re: Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

SeanLoch wrote
I would hope that after a few years the prompt wont come up for a vehicle thats already in the database that has the EFN matched to the VIN, but that will probably never happen.
What im hoping to get from this is that they from now on it will show us ef# so that we can determine whether CATS that have been changed are the proper ones for cars that come in with labels that went missing over time for what ever reason.

Re: Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

BayAreaSmogTech
No One wrote
Been getting a lot of customers coming in from other shops refusing to smog their cars because the under the hood label is missing. What are you guys doing when they are missing? I'm still testing them and recommending to customers to get them because its only a matter of time before BAR gods decide to make a fail mandatory or they start fucking with our star scores for missing labels.

I smog the vehicle and let them know that in two years when I see that vehicle again, it better have a underhood label. They cost $5-10 from the dealer.

Re: Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

kfworry
Visual Inspection
1.3.2 Emission Control System Labels
Underhood Emission Control Label: Each vehicle’s underhood emission control label serves
as the primary source for emissions control requirements and to indicate the vehicle’s
certification type (California and Federal). It is important to review emission control
components on this label, since emission control system technology changes and varies between
vehicle manufacturers. A missing or illegible emission control label does not constitute an
inspection failure. In cases where the emission control label is missing or illegible, the inspector
may proceed with the inspection provided that the required emission controls can be determined
using other sources as described in section 1.3.1. Note: Some diesel-powered vehicles are
equipped with a second or additional emission control label affixed to the engine.

Re: Refusing to smog cause EFN#/label is missing

kfworry
Aftermarket Parts Label: CARB approved or exempted parts are subject to CARB aftermarket
parts labeling requirements. These requirements specify that Aftermarket Parts Labels (APL)
must be affixed or stamped on approved/exempted parts or, if not practical, installed near the
approved/exempted parts. The labels are required to contain an EO number that can be used to
verify CARB approval or exemption, as outlined in section 1.3.1. Note: A missing or illegible
APL does not constitute an inspection failure. In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the
inspector may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB
approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO
parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.