Removing covers at a test only

SmogAce
I recently attended an update course where the instructor was telling the class that even at a test only, the technician is required to have a toolbox with enough tools to remove any covers, linings, or panels in order to access smog components.

I asked, so does that mean I am supposed to remove a wheel and fender liner to look at an evap canister? He says yes....

I said, well we dont have a lift and are not required to have one. He says.... then reject the vehicle.

This instructor also worked as the BAR referee for years he said.

What extent do you go to to access smog components?

Re: Removing covers at a test only

none
By BAR's current rules your instructor is correct. Just because a jack isn't required doesn't mean it"s not a good idea to have one.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Engine covers are fair game.  Fender liners, not.  "Partial disassembly to inspect EVAP components is not required."

Re: Removing covers at a test only

none
You are right. I knew it was in the old "Blue Book" but I found it in the current online manual too.

1.3.1
Fuel Evaporative System (EVAP) -Gasoline
Inspectors are not required to perform disassembly of the vehicle to inspect the fuel evaporative system.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

none
That being said, I use a floor jack and jack stands to check difficult to read CAT numbers all the time and a floor jack is not a "required" tool.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

No one at BAR seems to have thought this through. If we are to dissasemble we must provide a teardown estimate. Currently the way the book is written we technically should not dissasemble anything. It says "visual inspection". I believe the old inspection manual even said only a flashlight and a mirror are needed. If they would like us to actually tear things down, then they need to clarify this in the SCM.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Removing covers at a test only

ThePharmacist
I work at a TO and normally we charge extra to remove the cover from Vans, Boxers and Cayman but for the simple reason for not wanting to be liable for accidentally breaking anything on a smog test I usually try to persuade them to remove it themselves.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

This is a prime example of what happens when you let government and lawyers write the laws now as it reads were supposed to be doing whatever it takes to verify evap that means removing panels or removing insulation in there review. But then if you reread write it right then we're in violation of how it was written up that we should have written a teardown estimate.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

D Rochells 150861 wrote
No one at BAR seems to have thought this through. If we are to dissasemble we must provide a teardown estimate. Currently the way the book is written we technically should not dissasemble anything. It says "visual inspection". I believe the old inspection manual even said only a flashlight and a mirror are needed. If they would like us to actually tear things down, then they need to clarify this in the SCM.
I think the flashlight and mirror part is only for liquid fuel leaks.

1.3.3
The liquid fuel leak procedure is a visual inspection only.  Inspectors are not required to perform disassembly of the vehicle to inspect for liquid fuel leaks.  No special tools or equipment, other than a flashlight and mirror, are required and no raising, hoisting, or lifting of the vehicle is required.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Anon A Mouse
Way back in the 90's we were told no disassembly, lifting or hoisting was required for any part of the smog inspection (other than removing van engine covers). I believe that's what is says in the paper scm.
Al

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Al
Wouldnt be the first time an instructor gave us techs shitty advice.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Does anyone bother with the fuel leak inspection if they don't smell it first? I won't even start the inspection until I find out whether it's safe to test or not.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Best Answer I Can Give
 What is a leak? If it is wet we don't do it. Had plenty where you could smell it but never see it.
It's like the smoke thing. How much is to much?

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Anon A Mouse wrote
Way back in the 90's we were told no disassembly, lifting or hoisting was required for any part of the smog inspection (other than removing van engine covers). I believe that's what is says in the paper scm.
The only thing I could find was still the part about liquid fuel leaks.

This is the oldest BAR book I still have here;

Re: Removing covers at a test only

D Rochells 150861
Derivability problems are the worst
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: Removing covers at a test only

What is a leak? If it is wet we don't do it. Had plenty where you could smell it but never see it.
It's like the smoke thing. How much is to much?
https://gm.oemdtc.com/3095/15-00-89-004b-information-regarding-the-differences-between-fluid-leakage-and-seepage-2018-and-prior-gm-passenger-cars-and-trucks

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Lol. Just check the fucking car right. You gotta be the dummest mother fucker dismantling your customers cars looking for some stupid solenoid and shit. Specially on the nice ones. I would never go back to your shop lol. My 2 cents for your mediocre instructor that used to work for the ref.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Hard Nox

No disassembly for EVAP inspection required. Use common sense and do what needs to be done.
I have been known to, on occasion take a good look at  Evap  components to become more familiar with hidden parts.

Van dog houses and Engine Trim covers come OFF in most cases.
How else can you see those Emission Components that wear out or those Special People mess with.
Extra $$$ and time may be required.

Some vehicles take special consideration such as Boxters, Caymans, Old conversion vans with lots of extra carpet and brittle plastic.

I do keep some basic hand tools close by.  I have the means to take a Look under vehicles whether required or not.

Re: Removing covers at a test only

Smogtech
Yes only at the ref station.  No TO station.

Ref station having the luxury with access to tools and lift