Replace Computer

taewjc
I have worldwide DAD and its not working. WWD technician said I need new hard drive or new computer.
Are there any restriction on new computer or just any window 10 computer is OK to buy ????

Re: Replace Computer

none
Windows 7, 8, or 10. You will have to set it up with BAR for an inspection now though. Brfore you could just switch it over online.

"The California BAR-OIS software will function on computers running 32 or 64 bit Microsoft Windows operating system versions: 7, 8.0, 8.1, and 10. The California BAR-OIS software is not compatible with Windows 8 RT, typically installed on tablet type computers" https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/BAR_On-Board_Diagnostic_Inspection_System_BAR-OIS.aspx#51-what-are-the-equipment-requirements-for-the-bar-ois section 5.3

Re: Replace Computer

 For the price of your WW I made 2 OIS systems. Just bought the DAD unit from DREW.
Bought a extra Computer. so that when any one piece goes down I just change it out with very little guessing.
On of the big reasons I made mine up. I KNOW what parts are in them.

Re: Replace Computer

taewjc wrote
I have worldwide DAD and its not working. WWD technician said I need new hard drive or new computer.
Are there any restriction on new computer or just any window 10 computer is OK to buy ????
You can put OIS on almost any Windows based computer.  How about getting a cheap Solid State Drive, and do a fresh install of Windows, and BAR-OIS?

Maybe something like this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786QNS9B

You could go smaller and cheaper if you want.

Re: Replace Computer

yalo
You can buy any computer. I get them on EBAY from this vendor
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fast-Dell-Desktop-Computer-PC-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-New-120GB-SSD-Windows-10-HDMI-WiFi/330799347156?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
They have 8G of memory and SSD, tons of USB ports.

Then you call your BAR local office and tell them that you need to change computer, they unlock it in the system and you can update OIS. No inspection was required from El Monte office. I just changed mine last week.

Re: Replace Computer

none
yalo wrote
...Then you call your BAR local office and tell them that you need to change computer, they unlock it in the system and you can update OIS. No inspection was required from El Monte office. I just changed mine last week.
Good to know and thanks for correcting me. I guess I understood the BAR-BLAST we got wrong and I'm giving bad information.

Re: Replace Computer

Best Answer I Can Give
 You were not the only one.

Re: Replace Computer

yalo wrote
...Then you call your BAR local office and tell them that you need to change computer, they unlock it in the system and you can update OIS. No inspection was required from El Monte office. I just changed mine last week.
Good to know and thanks for correcting me. I guess I understood the BAR-BLAST we got wrong and I'm giving bad information.
ditto great info

Re: Replace Computer

dcf1ver
yalo wrote
You can buy any computer. I get them on EBAY from this vendor
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fast-Dell-Desktop-Computer-PC-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-New-120GB-SSD-Windows-10-HDMI-WiFi/330799347156?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
They have 8G of memory and SSD, tons of USB ports.

Then you call your BAR local office and tell them that you need to change computer, they unlock it in the system and you can update OIS. No inspection was required from El Monte office. I just changed mine last week.
How long have you been buying from them? Any problems? Those prices are a steal!!

Re: Replace Computer

xcinlb
I get my Pc's from Best Buy online, look for their refurbished ones, usually from another vendor. I first two I got for $80. last one was $110 with enough juice for what we do.

Glad to see you don't have to have BAR inspector when replacing a computer, I thought I read you had to have inspected.