Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

GrossPolluter
A vehicle came in today and it had a Aftermarket Converter. We looked it up D-280-42, it is on the Rescinded list. Customer said it passed 2 years ago. Does it pass or fail because its on the Rescinded list?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
If it was installed before Jan 2012, it passes.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

If the date code and/or the receipt show that it was installed before the rescinded date, then I will visually pass it and make a notation on the VIR to that effect.

Don't take my word for gospel, though.  I have a very spotty FuPR history.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Troll
For sure fail it. rescinded means no longer legal. Have had a bunch of complaints on this topic from bar.Been told  by pr1 we can, or can't make decision.
fail it and send it to the referee, cause  if you pass it, and we fail it next time around, which we will- you'll be back in shitty fpr land again. referee will pass it if they have the legitimite receipt.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FRUSTRATED
My 2 pennies, we have been passing the visual as long as the customer has a receipt of the catalytic converter installation.  That makes it a legal CAT, here is the verbiage from the ARB website on the page that lists the rescinded converters.

"Affected converters sold on or before their rescission date, are legal for use and installation in California. Affected converters sold after their rescission date, are not legal for use or installation in California".

Wouldn't the customer receipt with the appropriate date prove it is a legal CAT, we think so.  The majority of the time, I say 80% the customer has no receipt, we simply fail it and refer to referee.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

I fail 'em all because there is no procedure for making the determination of the date it was sold. If they want me to check a receipt, then they gotta say so in writing.

Uh oh, I just thought of something...what if it's a CAT that I subletted?  Shit!  Bye bye customer!  Hello Yelp and BAR rep!

Fortunately, I have hung very few...I'm scared of CATs!

Why do CATs get resindended anyways?  Is the mfg's butthole worn out or something?  Or did someone's palm not get greased?

It's California politics, somebody did not get greased is my guess!  Rescind baby or pay up.
Al

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Al
I side with Barry on this one. I look at the cat to see if it looks like a fresh install. If it looks to have been on there I pass it. BAR rep said it is a grey area but not something they would try and bust somebody for.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

007
Never trust what a bar rep say's, if they say anything have them put it in writting. There are no grey areas with the bar, they install parts to make them look old to not draw any attention to them, you better have a receipt of the date the converter was installed, if not fail it, never put your licenses on the line for a grey area, it is black and white. When the custimor changes things on there vehicle, it is there responsability to make sure and prove they are done legally. Bottom line no receipt no pass period.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Troll
Again. we've seen "notes" from muffler shops, scribbled napkins as work orders,etc saying all good.
Bullcrap says I. Just wait till bar changes law and says it is now a "fail". see what happens to fpr sores then.
CYA says I.
and by the way- most of the smog shops we see don't even check eo#s on anything.
P for pass.
over and out
up up and away.
to infinity and beyond.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Karupt
Saw a new cat on a truck , had five characters for the part number they usually have six, No CA for Carb approved, and the I could not find the EO number 182-41 not even on the rescinded list . IT was installed on a 1995 Nissan Pickup . 2.4 l . date was 0609 but it was installed two days ago . Of course we failed it . But was i looking at the wrong specs ? Should i have been looking at cats installed After Jan 2009? Either case ,the EO number was no where to be found and the part number was missing one number .
    Also , can anyone tell me where I can find NON ObDtwo EO numbers for OBD1 cats installed After Jan 2009???please ?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

kfworry
It could have been an OEM Cat that is NOT after market and
therefore NOT subject to a CARB EO #.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

kfworry
I can see clearly now why the Referee has seen a BIG increase in customers.
Smog Techs failing vehicles for Cats that could be perfectly legal.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

  I could not find the EO number on the CAt Database ! It was on the catalytic converter . OBD1

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

kfworry
On OBD I vehicles, it is NOT necessary to match the CARB EO#
to the vehicle specific application. That was printed in a BAR quarterly new letter
a few years ago. As long as there is a CARB EO# on the
Cat, that is A OK.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Refer to ET Blast #27984
Subject: Catalytic Converter Inspection Clarification-Revised
June 11, 2009
This spells if out in black and white regarding OBD I vehicles
with after market cats.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

karuptrougeouttacontrol wrote
Saw a new cat on a truck , had five characters for the part number they usually have six, No CA for Carb approved, and the I could not find the EO number 182-41 not even on the rescinded list . IT was installed on a 1995 Nissan Pickup . 2.4 l . date was 0609 but it was installed two days ago . Of course we failed it . But was i looking at the wrong specs ? Should i have been looking at cats installed After Jan 2009? Either case ,the EO number was no where to be found and the part number was missing one number .
    Also , can anyone tell me where I can find NON ObDtwo EO numbers for OBD1 cats installed After Jan 2009???please ?
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

Technically, kfworry is correct.  If it has a legible EO# and appears to be installed correctly, you are allowed by regulation to pass it.  I usually go just a bit further, and check to see if it's T1 (for your case).  According to page 1 in the link I gave you, that cat is PC1, so I probably would have failed it too.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Karupt
  Got it !thanks KFworry and BArry , I have the list , but are you saying EO number does not have to be checked against the database for OBD1 just make sure it is on the right type of vehicle passengar car or Truck ? Thanks guys for the clarification .sometimes all these gray areas make me blue .

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

GrossPolluter
Just to be sure that I am understanding this clearly. If its an OBD1 vehicle it does not matter what EO# is on that CAT, as long is has an EO# on it passes? What if its an OBD2 Catalytic Converter?

If that is the case we been failing vehicles because of the wrong application. I was not aware of the Quarterly News Letter you are talking about, BAR should notify us technicians i.e bAR BLaster, Bar messages.

The Vehicle we failed was a 94 Chevy Blazer. The EO# for that CAT was rescinded but it was an OBD2 CAT.

We checked Vehicle test history the following day and it showed that vehicle PASSED an hour later. This is a Customer Complaint ready to happen.
12345