Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

kfworry
Once again, please Refer to ET Blast #27984
Subject: Catalytic Converter Inspection Clarification-Revised
June 11, 2009.
And BAR's Spring 2009 Quarterly News Letter.
These two spell if out in black and white regarding OBD I vehicles
with after market cats.
Do Not fail an OBD I vehicle that has an OBD II Cat.
Besides they Do Not make OBD I Cats.
BARRY is correct, check for PC, "passenger car"
and TC, for "truck" applications.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

kfworry
T1: For Trucks
PC1: For Passenger Cars

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

No, if the OBD1 cat doesn't have an EO #, you can pass it legally. But if it has an EO#, you must check it period. It was stated on the BAR Blast if you missed it.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

GrossPolluter
I tried retrieving the link for that ET blast on BARs website but nothing showed up. Can someone post a valid link, please.

 ET Blast #27984

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

What if there's a heat shield?
If you are going to be part of the drug culture, have a little drug culture.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

I don't get off on telling other techs how to conduct their business, but I would like to offer my procedure for checking cats (I see a LOT of them) ... do with it what you wish:

1)  OBD 1 (or OBD 0):  Aftermarket cat has the old-style lettering (T/CA/MC XXXX YYYY)  -- PASS.  Missing lettering  -- FAIL.
Sources:  SCRG, page G-4; BAR ET Blast #34105, paragraph 1.

2)  OBD 2:  Aftermarket cat has the old-style lettering AND also "OBD II" or "OBD 2"  -- PASS.  If either of the above is missing  -- FAIL.
Source:  SCRG, page G-4.

3)  OBD 1 (or OBD 0):  Aftermarket cat has legible D number AND appropriate vehicle category (T1, T2, PC1, PC2)  -- PASS.  Missing D number or wrong category  -- FAIL
Sources:  SCRG, page G-4; BAR ET Blast #34105, paragraph 5; http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf .

4)  OBD 2:  Aftermarket cat has legible D number and matching part number  -- PASS.  Wrong or missing D number or part number  -- FAIL.
Sources:  SCRG, page G-4; BAR ET Blast #34105, paragraph 4; https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx .

For rescinded D numbers, I follow my instincts, which usually means "innocent unless proven guilty".

I am able to easily recognize the differences between most factory and after-market cats from many years of experience ... something that can't really be 'taught', only learned.  Judging the age of the welds is more difficult, but I follow my instincts when deciding pre-2009 installation or not.

I have gone the extra mile many times to read the lettering, including, but not limited to:  Jacking up the vehicle, wire brushing, wire wheeling, shoving a mirror between the cat and the floor ... whatever it takes to get a view of the lettering.  If none of those techniques work (due to welded skid plates, excessive oxidation, welded heat shields, etc.), I punt it or just follow my instincts.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

tampered
Wow!  Thanks Barry!  That's about the most comprehensive information about CATs that you are ever going to see or was afraid to ask!  That's a lot of work putting that sort of info together with sources and everything and I think I speak for all of us when I say THANK YOU!!!

In other news, I found those labeling requirements I was looking for earlier:

For catalytic converters that can be installed in multiple axial orientations (e.g., weld-in “universal” converters), the manufacturer shall affix two labels (on opposite sides of the converter) to ensure likely
visibility after installation. Letters and numbers on the label shall be at least one-half inch in height with spacing and thickness sufficient to make the label easily readable from a distance of at least 5 feet.

source: http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2007/amcat07/approvalamcat.pdf
If you are going to be part of the drug culture, have a little drug culture.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX,
Thank you for the bar blast #.
It reinforces the July 2009 one.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

  Yes thank you Barry, KFworry FiendX and Tampered and Disconnected for the awesome tips !

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

GrossPolluter
 karuptrougeuttacontrol wrote: Yes thank you Barry, KFworry FiendX and Tampered and Disconnected for the awesome tips !

X2, appreciate the responses

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

timer
Does this forum have stickies?
Total new guy

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

I'm pinning this topic as well, at least for now, due to its relevance.  New comments are welcome.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the Facts

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Catalyst Inspection Special Service Tool

This should be on the required tool list for shops:

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Borescope-Endoscope-Inspection-Camera/dp/B007T9CTBI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1406933157&sr=8-8&keywords=USB+CAMERA

Under $20 and with a stick and some zip ties can reach any cat. Maybe a cheap remote control car to make a floor drone.  My new policy is going to be take a pic of the cat and attach to work order. I would really like to charge more for aftermarket parts verification too.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
D,

That is a neat tool. How well does it work? Very clear even on fussy cats?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

It's great, takes a little time to get it in the right spot and get enough light on the cat though. A wireless one would be better but this was so cheap. I was thinking to install a row of them on the dyno to save time. The best part is being able to take a picture and print it out. This is more useful than my $400 Snap-On boroscope. I would recommend some heat resistant wire loom to cover the cable;

http://www.cableorganizer.com/high-temperature-insulation/

ProTip: you can put the loom on your timing and rpm leads too, no more Previa exhaust manifold disasters!

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

D wrote
ProTip: you can put the loom on your timing and rpm leads too, no more Previa exhaust manifold disasters!
I make liberal use of these, for Previa RPM, and for nearly every exhaust probe that I do ... less burn-ups and fallen probe restarts.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

That makes way too much sense Barry, how is an average tech who can't remember to take the probe out before pulling the car out going to remember to use it and then find it in the mess they are working in?

Weld them to probe handles and sell for profit! Or would BAR call that modification to sample hose?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

SOLO
what happends when you get a cat that has a withdrawn date fail or pass
12345