Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

SOLO wrote
what happends when you get a cat that has a withdrawn date fail or pass
The answer to that question is a point of some contention.  You will have to balance your interests with those of the customers, and those are decisions that only you can make.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/2013-Smogcheck-manual-contradiction-tp5022418p5022615.html

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Rescinded-Catalytic-converters-PASS-or-FAIL-tp5013146p5013152.html

In those posts, I am publicly sticking my neck out by stating that I do not require a customer receipt as proof of installation before withdrawal and/or rescission date.  Unless someone here can link me to a clear statement proving that I am wrong for doing so, I will continue this practice.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
The only way to prove that the CAT was installed before rescinded date would to provide a receipt.

But to fail or not to fail is your judgement.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX wrote
... But to fail or not to fail is your judgement.
This question is slightly off topic, but I'll ask it here anyway.

Would you guys let a D-182-47 on a 1991 Toyota 4Runner 3.0L CA slide?  It probably would have slipped by me with a Pass a few years ago, but not yesterday (it had other problems too).  I'm not being overly strict, am I?

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
Barry,

It's a fail of course. It has an OBD2 CAT, the vehicle is a 1991.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

kfworry
Why would they be manufacturing so few OBD I Cats for OBD I vehicles??
It only makes sense to manufacture OBD II Cats for OBD I vehicles.
READ ET Blast #34105
Case Closed.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the Facts

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just The Facts (and kfworry).  I apologize for being a bit loopy ... for several days now I've been hopped-up on prescription pain meds for massive lower back and hip pain, to help me limp to work, and I don't trust my critical thinking skills.

I'm going to tell you what I did, and let you explain my alleged screw-up to me and everyone else here.

1)  I went here, and found no entry for D-182-47.  I don't know the vehicle category (PC-1, T-1, etc.)

2)  I went here, and found no mention of 4-Runners prior to 1996, nor any language in the text stating that it can be applied to any pre-OBD2 application.

3)  I went here and found no category (PC-1, T-1, etc.) mentioned for D-182-47.

4)  Since I found no reference explicitly stating the vehicle category (PC-1, T-1, etc.), I was unable to apply this with any level of confidence.

... and since the truck also had a vicious misfire and advanced timing, and since I knew that passing cross-application cats is risky due to inspector subjectivity, I just failed the bitch and moved on.  Please spell it out for me.  How epic was my alleged fail?

barrym95838
EO144107

[Edit: fixed links]
[Edit: fixed links again ... told you I was loopy!]

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the Facts,

I'm confused now. Can you elaborate? That CAT on the 1991 4runner is an OBD2 CAT, how is it legal? It doesn't state anything regarding T-1 OBD1.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

scanner
FiendFX wrote
Just the Facts,

I'm confused now. Can you elaborate? That CAT on the 1991 4runner is an OBD2 CAT, how is it legal? It doesn't state anything regarding T-1 OBD1.
The BAR Blast says you only need to use the EO number to verify the CAT falls within the correct vehicle category, either PC-1, PC-2, T-1, or T-2.

There would be no question if the cat was a D-182-46.

Exemptcat09 says it's for a T-2, so it appears that does not fall in to the correct vehicle category.

d182-47

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
Scanner,

It states that it's for an LDV2. I don't understand why Just the Facts said it's a pass, is it because 95 Toyota 4runner is listed on there?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

scanner
FiendFX wrote
It states that it's for an LDV2.
It states that it's for a LDT2.

I don't understand why Just the Facts said it's a pass, is it because 95 Toyota 4runner is listed on there?
I don't think it's a pass either, but when Micheal first posted, I had no idea whether it was a T1 or T2.  Now that I know it's a T1, it should be a fail.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the Facts

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the facts wrote
... accidentally closed the window I had it up in...
I hate when that happens!  I appreciate your effort, and look forward to your response.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the Facts

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
I did an OBD1 Camaro V6 it had a PC-2 CAT, I failed it. Too bad I don't have the EO number.

I'm pretty sure if you were to call the ARB, they would say D-182-47 would be a fail for that 91 4runner.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the facts wrote
I believe most of the confusion can be traced to the BAR definitions of PC-1, PC-2, LT-1, LT-2, and ARB definitions of PC, LDT1, LDT2, etc.  Maybe this will help.  Here is a screen grab from the BAR Inspector update training:

BAR update
I don't find this particularly helpful, because it doesn't define configuration with sufficient detail.  Here is a snip from this page that I find more helpful, because it is less ambiguous:

A Caprice with two cats (one on each bank) would therefore be PC-1, by my reckoning.  Agreed?
A Ranger with two tandem cats after the Y would be T-2.  Agreed?
A Thunderbird with a cat on each bank and a third at the Y would be ... PC-1.5.  Agreed?

...  Given those circumstances that is not the call I would have made, but I understand how the confusing nature of the information we're required to interpret may lead some techs to fail it despite a legitimate attempt to make the correct call.
You described my situation to a tee.  I made a legitimate attempt, and apparently came up short.  Thank you for your explanation.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
My question for you Barry is which cat type would be legal for the third cat after the "Y" pipe as in stated with the T-Bird? PC1 or PC2?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

I don't rightly know the answer to that, and I have been proven wrong more than once.  Perhaps Just The Facts could clear the fog surrounding these configurations, or I could start a thread at iATN with the same question.  I'm leaning toward PC-2, because banker's rounding says to round 1.5 up to the nearest even number.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Just the Facts

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

honesttech
Also always check if the engine family # match the catalyst list. I had a couple cars with new cats, when I look it up with arb it says ok  for that make and model but when you check the engine family # with the engine size and configurations they don't match
12345