Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Here is an upload of my homework assignment from last night (I apologize for the scan quality being a bit sub-par).

Feel free to discuss these amongst yourselves.  They are sorted roughly by increasing order of difficulty.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Not sure how many questions are there on the homework, but I'm pretty sure it can be done is 5 minutes.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX wrote
Not sure how many questions are there on the homework, but I'm pretty sure it can be done is 5 minutes.
I think you're right that it's possible, but it took me at least twice that long.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

FiendFX
It's ok to take your time. At the end of the day, it's the score that matters.

100% way to find the ARB's PDF file of an EO if you know the EO number.

All the PDF files have the same web address, simply change the EO number in an EO file address and if the one you are looking for exists, it will display.

Example: http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-280-54.pdf

Take out the 280-54 and replace it with the EO you are looking for and then load the page.

Barry, please make sticky!

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

autojoe505
no it is NOT legal, because it is for 95-04. always read the pdf file. go to carb web site, upper right hand corner search the EO and read the pdf. if the converter was installed after 09 it must always have an EO# unless it is an OEM part.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

pomonero
if customer has no proof fail it you need a fail anyway

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

the answer to this is all about documentation. dates of install and proof

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

none
Kevin wrote
the answer to this is all about documentation. dates of install and proof
Date of install is irrelevant per ARB "Affected converters sold on or before their rescission or withdrawal date,are legal for use and installation in California."
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/catrescind.pdf

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

smog007
1995 TYT 4Runner

1995 TYT 4Runner 3.0L

PASS or FAIL ?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

none
smog007 wrote

1995 TYT 4Runner 3.0L

PASS or FAIL ?
The part # 83222 shows it is CARB compliant but it looks like a magnaflow cat in your picture and on Amazon that they weld flanges on and resell. It should have a D-193-XX etched into the bottom shell then also.
https://www.amazon.com/Benchmark-BEN83222-Catalytic-Converter-Compliant/dp/B00800Q1W8?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

smog007
There is no EO# or any D-XXX-XX ...

I would fail it for sure then. I had a 1998ish BMW 740IL a few years ago that had a BORLA replacement cat on it and they made the pipes and used a Magna Flow cat but the part number on the cat fit Volvo and not BMW.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

smog007
Thank you none.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Centralized Smog
On the 2012 Smog check reference guide, there was information on pre 2009 cats. All of that is gone from the 2014 version. Does that make the old cats without CA or OBD2 stamp good?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

none
I have wondered that too.

I think it would be a good question for the CAL-ARC forum. The problem will be that if they say it is OK but the next guy to test it isn't one of the 20 guys that read that post your FPR will get dinged.

I still check for for CA stamp on earlier ones and OBD2 if it is an OBDII vehicle.

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Re: Rescinded Catalytic converters PASS or FAIL?

Smogtech
Barry I just read it.  re: the lady shifted to 3rd gear.  You passed in 2nd gear for 25mph did you get the wrong gear error ?  thanks
12345