Retest

FiendFX
What's the time of duration you guys give?

Are we "required" to write down time of duration for a retest? Can you actually get sued for not writing it?

Re: Retest

deviationmaster
30 days
Al

Re: Retest

Al
60 days

Re: Retest

missing
as long as i can remember or have paper work!

Re: Retest

Monkey
90 days but must have paperwork from first test. No paperwork then regular price. Printed on invoice

Re: Retest

What do you mean retest? A test is a test? If you do repairs then it is a retest if you failed them. If you are test only then the second test may or may not be with the proper repairs. I see no reason to treat any test differently. If you are talking about your own procedure for charging for the subsequent test it is entirely up to you as long as you put it in writing. People who give away a livelyhood should reap what they sow.

Re: Retest

909 Smog
You should be specific to protect yourself.  If you just write down "free retest", how many does that mean?  Any test after the first test is a retest.  Some A-hole customers will come in thinking you'll keep testing it for free until it passes.  Also limit the amount of time to a reasonable amount.  30 days is good.  Write down "One free retest within 30 days".

Re: Retest

Johnnybeme
If any test after a fail is a retest why shouldn't you honor a competotors test by testing the customer for free? Your own words described some customers as aholes and there are many more who become aholes after a fail. If half the people are aholes why would anyone retest for free? We are mistakingly trying to make the consumer our friend with our smog procedures. It is cut and dry, an official test we sign with great responsibility only to give away cause we want to make friends, pitiful and really un-professional.

Re: Retest

KeepItReal
FiendFX wrote
What's the time of duration you guys give?
I don't have a time limit, as long as they have the receipt or if I remember them.

Re: Retest

There are a few customers that had their vehicle failed for a year or even a long as 4 years demanding the retest price. I told them the retest is only good for 1 month. They talked back and said I can take you to small claim court and sue you because your invoice doesn't say the time of duration for a retest. Would this be a big deal on my end?

Re: Retest

kfworry
My question is WHY offer a free retest in the first place????
That leaves you open to everyone's own interpretation,
and there are many of those in this world.

Re: Retest

FiendFX
my retest is $40. it's not free.. it's an obd1 vehicle.

Re: Retest

RussellJames

Re: Retest

Smog tech
After reading your post (RussellJames ), i can smell an aroma of a butt hole comming out of your post. F$cking attitude of a so called professional smog tech who still charge E.T.F. and fly under BAR's radar.

Re: Retest

Joeinpb

Re: Retest

Joeinpb wrote
... When I have done free retests people will do stupid things like change their serpentine belts, or add coolant or pray. And think the car will pass, and waste our time!
You're going to think that I made this up, but I swear that it's true.  A lady with a 20-year-old BMW failed for emissions, and came back for the discounted retest a couple of weeks later.  "It better pass this time ... I just spent $250 fixing it up", she said.  As it was grinding through both ASMs, on its way to another emissions fail, I glanced over to the passenger seat and saw a receipt for $250 ... FOR DELUXE WINDOW TINTING!!

Re: Retest

justa
Banned User

Re: Retest

Smog tech
 Joeinpb ! We should not pay for the E.T.F..  What we do is to include the damned E.T.F. to the retest price. This is what BAR wanted 4 years ago and BAR can cite you for charging E.T.F. and invalidate your STAR Certification .Charge for retest cause free retest will never work as you said.

Re: Retest

ASE87
Truly agree

Re: Retest