STAR Certified Test-Only Stations- would this be considered a conflict of interest?

STAR Certified Test-Only Stations- would this be considered a conflict of interest?

SamiTheSmogChick
My boss was looking into becoming an interlock ignition installer. Basically just splicing in some wiring. Would this be a conflict of interest? Thanks in advance.

Re: STAR Certified Test-Only Stations- would this be considered a conflict of interest?

none
As a test only station I am certain you are not allowed to do that. Time to change to test and repair. There is no reason to stay test only with STAR anyway.

1.2.0 Test Only Stations Test Only stations are licensed to conduct Smog Check inspections only. No repairs or diagnoses can be performed on vehicles at a Test Only station, except for those minor repairs listed below.  There shall be no charge to the customer for these minor repairs. Minor repairs of components damaged by station personnel during the inspection atthe station;Minor repair that is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle while at the station;Minor repairs, such as the reconnection of hoses or vacuum lines.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf

Re: STAR Certified Test-Only Stations- would this be considered a conflict of interest?

SamiTheSmogChick
Thanks none.
That's pretty much what I figured.
It's always nice to have a second opinion, especially from someone who's been doing this longer.

Re: STAR Certified Test-Only Stations- would this be considered a conflict of interest?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Couple of the shop's in this area stopped doing them. To much hassle.

Re: STAR Certified Test-Only Stations- would this be considered a conflict of interest?

Not to be disagreeable, but installing a breathalyzer isn't really a diagnosis or a repair, any more than selling tires and oil changes, which I believe are allowed at a TO.  Am I missing something?

I have been doing Intoxalock installations and removals for over a year now, and it's no more of a hassle than any of the smog nonsense I have to endure as a STAR T&R.  Good service information is definitely the key to a quality install, along with a bit of care and attention to detail.  I have removed several devices that were installed elsewhere in an extremely piss-poor manner ... so awful that I was amazed they were able to function for the duration of the contract without failing.